Steele coaching himself out of a job !

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Hnoz

Steele coaching himself out of a job !

Postby Hnoz » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Can’t get team up for a top 20 home game! Team Playing like it’s an exhibition game! Out coached by Jay Wright again. Not looking good for his employment future at X!
skyhops

Re: Steele coaching himself out of a job !

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:43 pm

Continuing to play Freemantle vs in the second half was a typical Steele poor decision on a big game. I watched on delay, but I knew when he called the timeout down two and really had no play but for Scruggs to take it to the hole and force a bad shot we were done. Our two preseason first teamers played like freshman especially defensively. I was hoping to see potential all big east defender Miles play more. Same old same old. Back to .500 in the BE.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:14 am

Hnoz wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm
Can’t get team up for a top 20 home game! Team Playing like it’s an exhibition game! Out coached by Jay Wright again. Not looking good for his employment future at X!
I'm not a great fan of his coaching and lack of discipline/accountability, but his record this year has been better than the previous three, though it wasn't a very high bar. Losing to a top three coach and program in the last decade doesn't get you fired. Not being competitive and routinely losing to your mid-major rival does, but that hasn't happened in his tenure or for decades for that matter, and X has been competitive during his reign.

X gives more rope than the average high major, and probably even more so now, considering the AD came from Bowling Green, and he has friends in high places. Just a fact. In my mind, his performance thus far still rates as a solid B. Now that the Boogeyman is gone for the year, he has a chance to prove his mettle. Melting for a fourth straight year in the BE should definitely warrant consideration for a change, but that hasn't happened yet.
xu39

Postby xu39 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:05 am

Yes, I am very concerned with Steele's coaching.

I was pissed after tonight's game, definitely should have won IMO, that was not a great Villanova team. I am not expecting Steele to improve much at this point, the die seems cast. Walking back to the car after the game, I wanted him fired honestly. Covid for the last 2+ years has been tough on everybody, I will cut him some slack I guess.

I am befuddled as to why Nunge is not playing 35+ minutes every single game, drives me crazy. We just have never looked consistently good for all of Steele's tenure. Yes, bright spots here and there, but never consistent.

Player development seems lacking, seems like some players stay the same or even regress, not continual improvement with almost all of the players like with Matta, Miller, and Mack.

It mystifies me how Steele can have all those years of experience as an assistant and do a poor job like this once he became the head man. The offense frequently looks disjointed, defensively tonight they made no adjustments to Villanova's guards and forwards backing down/posting up our guys off the dribble. How about some help defense/a double team on that? Villanova is not a great outside shooting team, so you don't have to really worry about them kicking it back outside.

Our first half shot selection IMO was poor on offense. Settling for 3's way too much. Not enough dribble driving and getting the ball into Nunge and Freemantle in the low post. We do not seem to have a great, consistent 3 point threat shooter.

Nunge is maybe the best big man we have had since David West IMO. Nunge IMO is very unutilized.

On the positive side, we do always seem to play hard under Steele, I don't see lack of effort or attitude problems, the problems are more scheme-related and lineup/playing time-related IMO.

So, problems on offense and defense, and he is playing the wrong guys. Lots of problems, I don't think it is going to improve. I have pretty much given up on him at this point.

Yeah, we will make the ncaat this year probably, but I think that is setting the bar too low, we are better than that.

Postby 54586264 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:15 am

My goodness, am I correct, Jay Wright did not make the NCAA tournament until his 4th year as head coach!

Postby 54586264 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:16 am

My goodness, am I correct, Jay Wright did not make the NCAA tournament until his 4th year as head coach!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 am

What does that have to do with anything? He has won two titles and Steele inherited a top ten program that is no longer an NCAA team.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am

54586264 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:16 am
Neither did Coack K but I don't think anyone cares about that. Villanova owns us and a lot of coaches get outcoached by Wright. I can't blame Steele for missing that many easy shots. We've only played 4 league games and 2 against Nova.Not the end of the world.But if we lose Saturday... not good
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:09 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 am
What does that have to do with anything? He has won two titles and Steele inherited a top ten program that is no longer an NCAA team.
top TEN program? my lord you're reaching now to try and make your Steele hate be even more warranted.

what he inherited/how Mack left the program was NOT TOP TEN.

this thread is the dumbest thing ever.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:18 pm

They were in the AP Top Ten before Mack left. Sorry I should have included that but a 4th year of no tourney is unacceptable and I don’t think we will be above .500 in BE. We have mainly played on the road this year. Steele doesn’t beat good teams.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”