Steele coaching himself out of a job !

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
longliveskip

Re: Steele coaching himself out of a job !

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:36 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:18 pm
They were in the AP Top Ten before Mack left. Sorry I should have included that but a 4th year of no tourney is unacceptable and I don’t think we will be above .500 in BE. We have mainly played on the road this year. Steele doesn’t beat good teams.
we have 3 losses and two are to Nova who is currently 14 and Iowa State who is also top 20, i believe.

but we don't beat "GOOD" teams?

Ohio State? Oklahoma State? Marquette? they're not "good"?

we lose to Nova in a game that came down to one possession but if the tourney started today we'd be like a 4 seed but let's fire our coach because he supposedly got outcoached by Jay Wright? every BE coach should be fired then.

as i said, this thread is DUMB.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:02 pm

xu39 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:05 am
Yes, I am very concerned with Steele's coaching.

I am befuddled as to why Nunge is not playing 35+ minutes every single game, drives me crazy. We just have never looked consistently good for all of Steele's tenure. Yes, bright spots here and there, but never consistent.
35+ minutes every single game? That would be 20-21+ more minutes PER game than he has averaged playing the last three years. Already this year he is averaging 7-8 more minutes and has only had a few (3 games) 30-minute games with about the similar production as last night, but you must think a guy that has a history of injuries has become an iron man. You might want to go back and see is shooting average in those 30-minute games, something like 38 from the field. Now you will get some more rebounds and you could play him those minutes but at what cost? I can see him playing more minutes by the end of the year but he is more productive when he is not run-ragged.

BTW I also wish he could play more minutes because we certainly could use him at times but if we lose him where will X be this season. Unfortunately, just wishing is not a smart practice.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:10 pm

How many points a game does a coach score ??? Does Jay score more points per game than Steele??? I think X was a one seed one year in MM and lost their 2nd game in MM/because of the coach???? ...and X did not have to fire Mack for that result.... cause he went to Louisville for more money. Most of X's coaches leave for more money. After coaches succeed at X, they leave. So X needs a winning coach , so so so they can leave? I hope you can follow this. lol
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:10 pm
How many points a game does a coach score ??? Does Jay score more points per game than Steele??? I think X was a one seed one year in MM and lost their 2nd game in MM/because of the coach???? ...and X did not have to fire Mack for that result.... cause he went to Louisville for more money. Most of X's coaches leave for more money. After coaches succeed at X, they leave. So X needs a winning coach , so so so they can leave? I hope you can follow this. lol
Unfortunately, I cant follow this. You are kind of all over the place.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am

Why do they even have coaches?
gundun

Postby gundun » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:27 pm

My question remains "why did Paul start that drive with just under 20 seconds to go. If he scored Nova would have had 15 seconds to score. That drive should have begun with 5 or 6 seconds left.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:20 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am
Why do they even have coaches?
to piss you off!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Postby 54586264 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:14 am

The fact that Steele has only been head coach for three + years has everything to do with your criticisms. Not they are all off base, but you likely do not know what happens in practices, etc., and he deserves patience in learning to perfect his trade. The fact that neither Jay Wright or Coach K made the NCAA tournament till their 4th year as head coach says strongly that great coaches need time and experience to achieve.
Something happened in the last twelve minutes + of the Creighton game. Coach found a 7-man rotation that worked against Creighton, but we hopefully witnessed a coming out game for Fremantle. We will witness more over the next two weeks.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:26 am

54586264 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:14 am
The fact that Steele has only been head coach for three + years has everything to do with your criticisms. Not they are all off base, but you likely do not know what happens in practices, etc., and he deserves patience in learning to perfect his trade. The fact that neither Jay Wright or Coach K made the NCAA tournament till their 4th year as head coach says strongly that great coaches need time and experience to achieve.
Something happened in the last twelve minutes + of the Creighton game. Coach found a 7-man rotation that worked against Creighton, but we hopefully witnessed a coming out game for Fremantle. We will witness more over the next two weeks.
For the record,

Despite underwhelming results and inconsistency, I advocated for a fourth year for Steele, but I love the comparison to Wright and Coach K whenever one tries to defend his record. Is this the norm? Do coaches who underachieve their first three years typically go on to win at least two national championships? Also, this is a different era. Both the brand and financial implications of the programs are much greater than during the former coach's time.

As of now, Steele has bought another couple of years. Though I doubt it will happen, a fourth straight BE meltdown in the last month of the year would warrant an ugly consideration.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:50 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:26 am

Despite underwhelming results and inconsistency, I advocated for a fourth year for Steele, but I love the comparison to Wright and Coach K whenever one tries to defend his record. Is this the norm? Do coaches who underachieve their first three years typically go on to win at least two national championships? Also, this is a different era. Both the brand and financial implications of the programs are much greater than during the former coach's time.
Considering how quickly coaches get fired by decent programs, hard to say how well some coaches would fair.
Let's March!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”