Who leaves? Who stays?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XU Rocks!
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby XU Rocks! » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:21 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:25 am
So, we have confirmed staying:

Colby
Nunge
KyKy

are we at the point in college basketball now where every year, every player must post their intentions of staying at a school or entering the portal? i mean, we had a coaching change so i get that, but are we waiting for every player on this year's team to make an "announcement" because of that? just wondering.

if no one else leaves, this looks like our roster for next season (let me know if i miss anyone):

Nunge
Freemantle
Hunter
Colby
Kunkel
Kyky
Edwards
Stanley
Tucker (who knows if he can even play again)
Master P's son
Claude
Craft
Ward ???

who did i miss?
Dieonte Miles
gym from delhi
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby gym from delhi » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:14 pm

Like Belushi and Akroyd Sean is doing a great job getting the band together
X-lucidity
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:36 pm

May I posit a question here to the board. In that I do not obviously know, nor may anyone, since the recent landscape of D1 B-ball has been turned into bizarro world ever since the 2020 COVID year. So I hear there are 1,200, possibly close to 1,300 names in the transfer portal. Some have found new homes already such as Odom. But that still leaves quite a lot of bodies searching for homes. Only so many spots. Am I out to lunch in thinking that, for folks like Zach and Cesare, with each passing day they are making it harder and harder to enjoy a surplus of enticing options should they eventually join that pool? Just seems that since we are now going on 10+ days into the process of learning who the new coach is, having a one-on-one meeting with Sean, with each passing day it would be that much more likely they are staying. That would be my silly reading of the tea leaves...
On an otherwise uneventful Mid-April Monday afternoon.
longliveskip
Posts: 1437
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby longliveskip » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:50 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:36 pm
May I posit a question here to the board. In that I do not obviously know, nor may anyone, since the recent landscape of D1 B-ball has been turned into bizarro world ever since the 2020 COVID year. So I hear there are 1,200, possibly close to 1,300 names in the transfer portal. Some have found new homes already such as Odom. But that still leaves quite a lot of bodies searching for homes. Only so many spots. Am I out to lunch in thinking that, for folks like Zach and Cesare, with each passing day they are making it harder and harder to enjoy a surplus of enticing options should they eventually join that pool? Just seems that since we are now going on 10+ days into the process of learning who the new coach is, having a one-on-one meeting with Sean, with each passing day it would be that much more likely they are staying. That would be my silly reading of the tea leaves...
On an otherwise uneventful Mid-April Monday afternoon.
i'm guessing there are some "behind the scenes" things happening with Free and Cesare. i am speculating but i'm sure there are coaches from other teams contacting their parents or whoever may in their "camp" saying things like "hey, you should enter the portal. we would definitely have a spot for you, etc."

that's just my take.

but as you said, i agree that the more time passes, the better chance they have of staying.

here's my other issue in regards to scholarships. we get 12, right?

so here's the roster for next year:

committed:
Nunge
Colby
Kunkel
Miles
KyKy
Tucker
Craft
Claude

Haven't heard yet:
Free
Edwards
Stanley
Hunter
Ward

Transfer ? - Pinson

Let's say ALL of them said they wanna stay/come to X.

that's 14 names.

they can't ALL stay.

so i ask - who's gonna leave/decommit?
X-lucidity
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:20 pm

Good point Skip. That would be 14. Some addl attrition may be necessary and beneficial. As to your speculation. I agree and bet that could happen on the sly. But, if a player has not officially entered their name into the portal, would that not be a clear case of tampering? (punishable by the NCAA should it be caught and proven) Seems like a line in the sand that most schools ethically would not want to cross. Save for folks like Vanilla Ice that is...
Lead Guitar
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby Lead Guitar » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:55 pm

I believe each D-1 team can give out 13 scholarships, but do not know if the Covid extra year counts against the 13. I suspect it does, which puts the coaches and the HS seniors at a disadvantage. What if Jones, Fremantle, Tandy elect to stay an extra year as did Scruggs and Johnson? I am sure someone out there could clarify, if we have the right to know??
Jesseandrippers
Posts: 943
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby Jesseandrippers » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:08 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:50 pm
X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:36 pm
May I posit a question here to the board. In that I do not obviously know, nor may anyone, since the recent landscape of D1 B-ball has been turned into bizarro world ever since the 2020 COVID year. So I hear there are 1,200, possibly close to 1,300 names in the transfer portal. Some have found new homes already such as Odom. But that still leaves quite a lot of bodies searching for homes. Only so many spots. Am I out to lunch in thinking that, for folks like Zach and Cesare, with each passing day they are making it harder and harder to enjoy a surplus of enticing options should they eventually join that pool? Just seems that since we are now going on 10+ days into the process of learning who the new coach is, having a one-on-one meeting with Sean, with each passing day it would be that much more likely they are staying. That would be my silly reading of the tea leaves...
On an otherwise uneventful Mid-April Monday afternoon.
i'm guessing there are some "behind the scenes" things happening with Free and Cesare. i am speculating but i'm sure there are coaches from other teams contacting their parents or whoever may in their "camp" saying things like "hey, you should enter the portal. we would definitely have a spot for you, etc."

that's just my take.

but as you said, i agree that the more time passes, the better chance they have of staying.

here's my other issue in regards to scholarships. we get 12, right?

so here's the roster for next year:

committed:
Nunge
Colby
Kunkel
Miles
KyKy
Tucker
Craft
Claude

Haven't heard yet:
Free
Edwards
Stanley
Hunter
Ward

Transfer ? - Pinson

Let's say ALL of them said they wanna stay/come to X.

that's 14 names.

they can't ALL stay.

so i ask - who's gonna leave/decommit?
Gimme Ward and Edwards. Pinson is at least a true PG but cant shoot and turns the ball over. Hunter is still raw but still see some upside there. A crowded position though on the roster.
oldhoopster
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby oldhoopster » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:29 pm

If you list those two, how bout ever other D1 coach. McDermott, Self recently, but I’m sure Calapari, Huggins, even Coach K and every other coach. Money drives everything. Wins mean money to these coaches who are all overpaid asis. Unless I guess the stress they go through is worth millions. And don’t you believe that any of these coaches would never be hired by any other institution. We’ve seen it for years.
X-lucidity
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:54 pm

Old Hoop. Pay no mind to 2003. He is broken record and never misses an opp to ramble on about how X committed the biggest ethical injustice in the Universe by rehiring Coach Miller. Matters not that he has made similar comments already on about 17 prior posts. Just don't even bother to engage. He is sold on his own opinion, the rest of the world be damned. let us allow him to dwell in his own private Idaho. While the rest of us move on with our lives and conjecture about next season's roster. I would concur with a previous post. Of the remaining who have yet to pledge they are staying with X, give me Cesare, Free if he is fired up to return, and a miraculous Ward save. Then all Sean would need is to pluck the portal with a solid experience PG.
xaviermuskie2003
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:12 am
Contact:

Re: Who leaves? Who stays?

Postby xaviermuskie2003 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:57 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:54 pm
Old Hoop. Pay no mind to 2003. He is broken record and never misses an opp to ramble on about how X committed the biggest ethical injustice in the Universe by rehiring Coach Miller. Matters not that he has made similar comments already on about 17 prior posts. Just don't even bother to engage. He is sold on his own opinion, the rest of the world be damned. let us allow him to dwell in his own private Idaho. While the rest of us move on with our lives and conjecture about next season's roster. I would concur with a previous post. Of the remaining who have yet to pledge they are staying with X, give me Cesare, Free if he is fired up to return, and a miraculous Ward save. Then all Sean would need is to pluck the portal with a solid experience PG.
"The Xavier Way"
"Do things the right way"

I have seen those statements made on Xavier boards a thousand times. I have typed them out plenty of times myself, because I used to believe it.

Funny thing is, when the scandals broke at North Carolina, Kansas, LSU, and Arizona over the years, we Xavier fans showed plenty of anger and frustration with programs who were corrupt and consistent rule breakers. Most advocated for harsh punishments for those basketball programs.

On top of that, many X fans took great joy when Sean Miller ran into his problems out West. Plenty of jokes were made at his expense and many were happy to see him fail. Now some of those same people are defending him.

Funny how most folks on this board suddenly think breaking the rules is no big deal, is expected, and Sean's penalties for five Level 1 voilations should be minimal.

Yet I'm the bad guy.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests