Others soon to step up
4%

Total votes: 27
muskieman

Re: Who is X's go to man?

Postby muskieman » Fri May 06, 2022 4:15 pm

DannyV76 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:40 pm
Thanks Lucidity for that most excellent post and all pro Adam points are very valid! I sure didn't mean to come off as anti Adam, so appreciate you filling in the blanks for me. I was a bit pleasantly surprised AK didn't follow Steele to Miami or transfer across the river to NKU in his backyard. I think Coach Miller recognizes the positives he brings to the team as you do.
think we all know who was knocking Adam, Danny
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Sat May 07, 2022 10:53 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:08 pm
Adam Kunkle? His shot selection was the worst on the team.
Not even close and he took shots that he was capable of making. One of the few players that wasn't hesitant to shoot even when they had an open shot.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue May 10, 2022 9:37 am

Kunkle is a valuable player of the bench, however does take poor shots and has not shot well from the field or from 3pt since he has been at Xavier. He will need to improve his defense as well under Miller since he has been rated as one of the poorest defenders in BE. He was a favorite of Steele, but won't get the same treatment from Miller unless he improves in the those areas.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue May 10, 2022 10:07 pm

finalfourorbust wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:53 am
skyhops wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:08 pm
Adam Kunkle? His shot selection was the worst on the team.
Not even close and he took shots that he was capable of making. One of the few players that wasn't hesitant to shoot even when they had an open shot.
I like Kunkle. but he takes way too many poor shots. When under control, he is a valuable spark off the bench. However, he has the same disease that afflicted Marshall, Goodin, Free, Scruggs, and Hunter. Unfortunately, Steele didn't have the antidote. He was a bullfighter on defense too. I trust that Miller will rectify all his ills.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu May 12, 2022 1:29 pm

Spot on again AH
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri May 13, 2022 8:43 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:29 pm
Spot on again AH
All good shooters will take bad shots from time to time. My guess is you will be all over Soul or Kraft after a few games.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri May 13, 2022 10:03 am

I have to side with MM here. As y'all did I watched every minute of each game last season. There were several times I cringed a bit when Kunk hoisted a shot that seemed a bit early or forced. But then you watch the best teams in the final four, they each had a couple players with that ultimate greenlight. Take Caleb Love for NC, he carried them to Championship game taking several shots that a coach would be like, " No - NO! No! - - Yes.......!!!!!" But he went cold in the final, it happens. A shooter has to play confident and error on the side of taking one or two bad shots a game. Unless of course you have a team STACKED with great offensive options. Was X that team?? No. Nate had been slumping down the stretch. Paul was Paul. Free inconsistent. Jack was fantastic but needed more than his post moves and occasional 3's. Colby really did not heat up until the NIT. Odom, an outside threat? - come on.. Hunter....... Need I go on. Does anyone have the Plus/Minus ratings on Adam? My gut tells me he was a positive but have no stats to back that up. Heck, is he someone who can start for a legit top 15 wanna be contender, no. But he is a darn good player and one that will be fantastic to have for us again next year as a top 8 or 9 rotational piece that can ignite a team off the bench. Love the Kunk
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri May 13, 2022 12:51 pm

I think we can all agree he is a great piece to come off the bench. I trust Miller in how he will handle his rotation and minutes. Not having Scruggs as the point will free up the offense as it did in the NIT.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Fri May 13, 2022 9:34 pm

AH is right on Kunkle. He is a valuable contributor and will hopefully come off the bench. Efficiency is what wins games. Some players are capable of consistently hitting bad shots and are efficient at taking bad shots. Kunkel does hit bad shots but only when he is hot. A bad shot for Kunkle is dependent on whether he is on or not. Too many games where he took bad shots while in a slump.

Unwarranted confidence generally leads to losses. There is a common wisdom about shooters shooting so I understand why some believe AK and others should just keep firing. Unfortunately there is no basis for that "wisdom" unless of course the team is desperate. When reliant on a single player, that player does have to shoot his way out of a slump. The team will lose with him missing and will lose with him not shooting. A balanced team is dependent on efficiency and the team benefits from working for the best shot.

Nunge is the only known player capable of being the go to. That doesn't mean he will be the guy taking the last shot but that the offense should mostly run through him. He doesn't need to touch it every possession but he needs consistent touches. If another player rises up that may change but as of now Nunge should be getting about 18+/gm.

Free will need to prove he can score against athletic bigs. He will also need to show Miler he can defend or he may not see the floor much. Reduced minutes were a positive for Free in the NIT but I don't believe many of the matchups were against athletic bigs which was his real concern the past couple years.

Love Jones. He is the perfect teammate. The guy everyone should want on the floor with him. He isn't a scorer. He is a do it all type guy. Maybe he will be a scorer but that isn't who he has been. His shot is solid but not great. His ability to get to the rim is good but nothing exceptional. He should be a double digit scorer as he takes advantage of opportunities. If he scores significantly more than 10 ppg then it is a problem, unless his offensive game took a step forward.
Alistair89

Postby Alistair89 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:03 am

if jones just ups his 3pt% by a few % from freshman year he will run this team and the big east. just where he ends up positionally for the nba.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”