Musketeer Madness

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Timeless

Re: Musketeer Madness

Postby Timeless » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:04 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:28 pm
One question….did Hunter jack up any 3’s? :?
I don't think he shot one three ball
Timeless

Postby Timeless » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:01 am

X-lucidity wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:41 pm
Just got back home, very nice crowd, possibly best ever or at least close to it. Very quick brief initial observations:
- Kam Craft: started out great then faded a bit suffering from some indecision and maybe too passive at times. However, showed plenty of promise and did not at any point look lost or overmatched. Comfortable driving, mid-range or deep. Seemed to hardly ever come out of the game.
- Des Claude: uh, Yes Please!!! Does NOT look or play like a true Frosh. Solid PG with good vision. Able to drive and penetrate with the ability to absorb contact and get a shot off or pass. I believe he was 2-4 from behind the arc with a nice stroke. Already seems able to let the gm come to him.
- Souley B.: Began a bit weak & tentative with some turn-overs and missed shots. But from about 6 minutes into the 1st half then through the rest of the entire scrimmage seemed like one of the two best players on the court with Jack N. Bottom line, he's the real deal and just what the Dr. ordered as a transfer to compliment what we already had. A home run, let's hope this was no mirage and he continues to build chemistry with the core.
- Kunkel: Obviously not a new-comer but damn he just plays well. Looks a bit stronger and made a couple fabulous passes to Jack. Plus hit several shots.
- D. Miles: Sadly, looks exactly the same as last yr. No better, no worse. Does look like he added about 15lbs of muscle which should help.
- E. Tucker. Bigger body than I had imagined. Thick and strong. Might surprise and be able to contribute a few decent minutes here and there as a "4". Strong under the basket and did not seem timid or lost. He's a redshirt Frosh. We do not need much of anything from him this year. So I was encouraged about what he may be able to develop into by his Soph or Junior seasons for us.
- Kyky Tandy: OK, yes he resorted back to silly Kyky a few times taking a couple dumb forced shots. But he also took and made several shots within the proper flow of an offensive set. Looked confident. Looked like he lost 5 to 7 pounds in the right places and was moving well. Was nice to see. Who knows what Sean thinks or how many he will regularly rotate into a real game, but all may not be lost for Mr. Tandy.
- Bonus point. Freemantle. Did not effect the scrimmage much either way. Not fair to make any comment on whether he will be improved in any key areas as tonight's scrimmage just did not present him many opportunities for whatever reason. No big deal. That said, I was watching him closely during the pre-scrimmage team & coach intro's. Zach's demeanor was outstanding and extremely positive and upbeat throughout. Big smiles, and really positively animated when Sean Miller was announced. Probably was clapping for Sean more than any other player. Have zero clue what that might or might not mean but Zach seemed to be enjoying the evening and excited to get the season going.
** PS: Hunter did NOT jack up any 3's and seemed solid in his role near the bucket or setting screens. Will contribute off the bench nicely vs teams like Seton Hall IMHO.
good take on tonight. Although only 24 minutes but it does look like Souley could be the real thing for X and by that a guy that can fill it up. He handled the ball well tonight and along with our freshman Desmond, I feel a lot better about the point this year. The important thing is that Jack and Souley gives us a good inside-out weapon.

One thing that disappointed me was that Colby Jones is still too passive. When he did assert himself he was great but I want more from him and he should be one of the leaders in taking shots. He started too passive to begin the game and X cannot afford to have him play that way.

Kam puts pressure on defenses and while he was playing against teammates he was in attack mode at all times. Didn't get to see him try any threes so there is no way to gauge his ability.

Hunter didn't take a three which should be pleasing to many but he looks like he will be used as an inside guy.

Unfortunately, this is a show game and not much can be considered about the way the team will look come non-conference games. One thing I would love to see from this team is the percentage from three-point range that they shot tonight. I am sure we win the national championship if we shoot 58% from the three and 85% from the fol line...
X-man

Postby X-man » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:59 am

I agree with the comments on the players. I want to add that Miller was EXTREMELY animated in the TO's with the blue team. He's very into making sure the players know exactly what he wants and doesn't want. After a Hunter screw-up into a TO, Miller appeared to have some strong words for him. We have a coach, folks. Like him or not, he will make sure the players know what they are doing well and not so well.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
thewhopper

Postby thewhopper » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:48 am

that was an excellent summary. Even the walk-ons looked good. I hope Miles and Tandy get some time but i dont know how deep Miller will go. It really looked like people were playing for playing time last night..close to regular game intensity. I hope Nunge and Zach can work together effectively. A very entertaining night
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:01 pm

I wouldn't read too much into Jones being passive given it is musketeer madness and not a real game. Jones is likely gauging the ability of his teammates. Sizing up what they do well and don't do well. Jones is a high IQ player and knowing the strengths and weaknesses of teammates helps in execution.

Jones should not become a high volume shot taker. His efficiency is largely what makes him great. He will naturally look for more scoring opportunities than prior years but will remain a team first player.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:40 pm

pdxmuskie wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:01 pm
I wouldn't read too much into Jones being passive given it is musketeer madness and not a real game. Jones is likely gauging the ability of his teammates. Sizing up what they do well and don't do well. Jones is a high IQ player and knowing the strengths and weaknesses of teammates helps in execution.

Jones should not become a high volume shot taker. His efficiency is largely what makes him great. He will naturally look for more scoring opportunities than prior years but will remain a team first player.
I agree but timeless has a point because Jones at times last year was so passive in games that it was noticeable. He, at times, seems to start games slowly and when he didn't X seemed to run better.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”