keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby muskieman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:15 pm

Xavier friday broke ground on the new Hoff Quad Construction Site and see Xavier Square.

eep up on changes

http://www.xavier.edu/construction/
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:11 am

I know this is all in the name of a bigger and better Xavier, but I'm going to miss those houses. It always gave X a very "homey", neighborhood feel that I liked. (And I still miss the White Castle at Dana and Montgomery!)

Keeping an eye on this project harkens back to when we'd all follow the construction of the Cintas Center via postings on the message board, and I remember finally seeing shots of the interior. It seemed surreal that X would have such a great new facility.

Things change, apparerently.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
Shadow
Posts: 6246
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby Shadow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:29 am

<<Things change, apparerently.>>

It's a far cry from those days I had chemistry lab in North Hall.

And the Barracks still live in the minds of many.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby muskieman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:38 pm

Shadow wrote:<<Things change, apparerently.>>

It's a far cry from those days I had chemistry lab in North Hall.

And the Barracks still live in the minds of many.
I remember both. Like I tell the players when they have asked about the campus, the campus mow is like the space shuttle while when Gary and I walked the campus it was like the horse and buggy.

Gary it is surreal walking down the street and not seeing houses. The new buildings will make Xavier an unknown to someone that has been in a coma for the last 20 years.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
User avatar
Shadow
Posts: 6246
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby Shadow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:46 pm

MM,
I was once standing outside the Student Union and looking around. A young coed , walking by, asked me if I was looking for something. I replied "Xavier University - I attended there a few years ago"
And that was in 1997.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
huddleup1487
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:41 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby huddleup1487 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:24 pm

As a current business student, I can say I do not support the new construction; this is also the response I am getting from many of my classmates. Sure, we are getting a new, state of the art facility. But, tuition will more than likely increase (as I hear it, the university is in a lot of debt right now...approaching $2 million). Also, while the school is focusing all of its time and resources into the business college, it is forgetting the rest of the programs on campus, particularly the arts and education (particularly the Montessori Education program). I mean, who needs a new fountain?!?! Comon!

Also, this is not the right time to be undergoing construction which results in loans being taken. What a great decision.
User avatar
Shadow
Posts: 6246
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby Shadow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:27 pm

<<Also, this is not the right time to be undergoing construction which results in loans being taken. What a great decision.>>

And aren't you more than over-joyed that those of us that preceded you didn't have the same outlook.
As an example, do you realize that Elet Hall was once the only 'dorm' on the campus? And that I quit eating breakfast when I moved to the barracks because the cafeteria was on the other side of the valley.
We OF's have far different memories than you ever will.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
gundun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby gundun » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Shadow,
I always thought the idea of having Brockman Hall so far from the cafeteria was XU's attempt to lower food costs so it could raise tuition and keep total costs/fees in line.

In fact, I once told Father Rattermann that the only thing I learned at X was that the Jesuits took the vow of poverty, but the students kept it.

However, I will always be glad I chose X over UD and OSU. And I got a great education to boot.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby muskieman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:38 pm

gundun wrote:Shadow,
I always thought the idea of having Brockman Hall so far from the cafeteria was XU's attempt to lower food costs so it could raise tuition and keep total costs/fees in line.

In fact, I once told Father Rattermann that the only thing I learned at X was that the Jesuits took the vow of poverty, but the students kept it.

However, I will always be glad I chose X over UD and OSU. And I got a great education to boot.
I thought I told that to Fr O'Conner or Fr Tillman once or twice...especially after I got an invite to the Jesuit Table in Schott one time after doing slave labor on the landscaping of Schott. .
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
bbaker06
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Contact:

Re: keep an eye on Xavier's construction

Postby bbaker06 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:33 pm

huddleup1487 wrote:As a current business student, I can say I do not support the new construction; this is also the response I am getting from many of my classmates. Sure, we are getting a new, state of the art facility. But, tuition will more than likely increase (as I hear it, the university is in a lot of debt right now...approaching $2 million). Also, while the school is focusing all of its time and resources into the business college, it is forgetting the rest of the programs on campus, particularly the arts and education (particularly the Montessori Education program). I mean, who needs a new fountain?!?! Comon!

Also, this is not the right time to be undergoing construction which results in loans being taken. What a great decision.
Did you miss the memo that the Business School is the biggest college of the University? Also, when is the best time to do construction and take out loans? Finally, tuition is always going to increase, but I somehow doubt it is going to increase more than normal due to this construction.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 810 guests