Montana st game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Montana st game thread

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:25 pm

Montana to slow it down and play in the halfcourt and let the impatient opponent put them on the line. Let's hope X is up to defend for 20 seconds or more. They have two bigs so X has a matchup inside and will not enjoy dominating the paint like the last two games. Zach has his work cut out for him tonight with 6'10" Josh Bannan (19ppg) who has an inside-outside game and draws fouls like Anti Homer draws flies on a hot day. The good thing is MSt isn't that good inside defensively as they are just not that quick.

This game is Colby's game if he gets aggressive for 40 minutes...could be his high score. Looking at their last opponent Duquesne, MSt let them shoot 80%, and Duquesne is not expected to be that good.

Bottom line: MSt looks good on the O side but terrible on the D side so if X can play better D they can have multiple double-figure scorers this game.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Re: Montana st game thread

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:20 pm

X turning D into O. X is unconscious shooting the ball Up by 10 and perfect from the field. Good hustle and diving for balls. Sean has them working well so far.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:32 pm

Kyky looks like he has bought into sean's system. I see a lot of good hedges and help on D. Miller has said he wants the D to be better and thought they would be ahead of where they were in the first reg game. Tonight it has been hustle and help. Now let's see if X can wear them down and out some more runs together.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:59 pm

At half up by 12. I was impressed by the way the team ran the D, and O. Lots of help and the LBS that Kyky lost sure helped him play better D. In fact he looks like a different player and the only three he missed was a long one at the end of the half.

Miller said he was hoping the team would improve every game and they certainly didn't look bad in the first half. The team is shooting an identical 83.3% from the three and the line.

I may have to revive my high point guy as Kyky is hitting lights out.

Last game X scored 45 in first half tonight 49.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:41 pm

X up 20 and shooting almost 72% from the field. Desmond looks more confident and has his eyes up as the point. Took it to coast to coast and then made a nice pass to Zach for a flush

Good floor spacing and the passing is miles better
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:41 pm

23 assists on 32 made shots. Souley with 5 assists. Zach was 8-11 for 18 pts with Jack 5-8 for 15 I think Desmond took another step up as a point tonight. I know MSt wasn't a good team, but they had a few good players, and X managed them for example, Bannan, their 19 ppg man who looked like he was going to have a big game with 10 in the first half but X held him to 2 in the second half.

I'm satisfied with the improvement, but the stakes get a little higher, and the competition is tougher. Let's see where X is after the next 6 games where only two are gimmies, three if you included UC, but that is an away game.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:59 pm

Took the game in at the Cintas. Might I first just say, Wow...! What a big-time college B=Ball atmosphere. I've been to many games past few years but for some reason it just really hit me tonight as I walked in. I mean Montana, 2nd gm of the season and the place was sold out and there was an excitement in the air pregame. Big ass beautiful modern on campus arena with an NBA sized scoreboard, I could go on... This coming from a guy who went to X back in late 70's when we played most games at Schmidt Fieldhouse and had maybe 42 students in the so-called student section. OK, back to the future and the actual game. More steady progress. A methodical win and I would venture to say that Montana played one of the better games they will play this year. X still won handily. X can come at you in several ways. Yet we are not overly quick and still lack many, if any, shut down defenders. We will need to thrive with team concept D. Kyky not only shot well but as MM stated he was moving well on D with his help hedges and recovers. He just seems to get winded quickly. Jack was stellar and just about everyone played well within the structure of the offense with very few poor shot selections. I would say that was my number 1 solid takeaway tonight was the glaring difference between this season and last season in that a) there is a definite purpose to their offensive sets and b). as I just mentioned, hardly any shots that looked forced or selfish. Love the steady progress. We all know there is quite a long ways to go, but you can sense a plan being installed brick by brick and that the players seem bought in.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:01 am

https://youtu.be/ZGIytBji1HA Miller's presser

https://youtu.be/yLm_Khw55Jg Nunge and Kyky presser

https://youtu.be/TGFCfTMZctc game highlights
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:14 am

muskieman wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:32 pm
Kyky looks like he has bought into sean's system. I see a lot of good hedges and help on D. Miller has said he wants the D to be better and thought they would be ahead of where they were in the first reg game. Tonight it has been hustle and help. Now let's see if X can wear them down and out some more runs together.
Funny how a different voice can make a big difference... Free seems to be more effective also... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:18 am

Nice game for KyKy.It seems Sean has gotten thru to Freemantle and Hunter that they are not 3 point shooters.I don't think either has attempted one yet

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”