Marquette game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Marquette game thread

Postby muskieman » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:23 pm

Sunday: high noon @ Cintas
X has to defend the home court, and this will be one of the toughest games. X will get to see former Xavier recruit and OHSAA Division 1 Player of the Year in 2021-22, Sean Jones who is averaging 5.2 ppg .434 from the field and .355 from the three in the 13.3 minutes per game.

Marquette is going to ball-screen X to death, and if X doesn't handle it well Kam Jones averaging 16.6 ppg will have open threes and Kolek will pass to the open man. Kam Jones will try to kill us at the three-point line. Oso Ighodaro (11.9 ppg) and Olivier-Maxence Prosper(14.7 ppg) were back up last year but have proven they can play. Tyler Kolek was a solid starter last year but has become one of the country's best pass-first point guards X will see this year.

Colby probably needs to be on Kam or the three points will rain, and even then they might rain. Zach needs to play his best Defensive day against Prosper and Jack, the same with Ighodaro or Marquette will feast on dunks. The big boys of X need to assert their dominance in rebounding which is where Marquette is ranked somewhere around 300 in the country. Give them one shot at most 95% of the time and O rebounds can help X get more 2nd chance points. X, as always has to protect the rock because while they don't play Shaka's havoc defense, they do try and pressure the ball. X's Bench has to come through as Marquette plays multiple bench players

X should win, but the boys of Vegas are not too sure. Last, I heard 2.5
KenPom has X ar 20 and Marquette at 12
X wins and probably will be #10 or better on Monday
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
pdxmuskie

Re: Marquette game thread

Postby pdxmuskie » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:13 am

In Portland Colby went under screens and it cost us the game against Gonzaga. I do not know if that has changed but would be key if he is guarding their shooter. If the guy is mostly a shooter and not a slasher, I would not put Jones on him. Staying with a shooter requires discipline but not elite level defense. Assuming Kunkel will fight through screens and not foul the 3 point shooter, he would be the right guy to defend a shooter.

This is definitely a scary game. Marquette is getting a lot of respect by the various computer rankings and X is getting very little. It will feel so good to get this win but it is unlikely to be easy. 3 days rest between games is probably ideal so hopefully the team is focused and energetic. Dropping this 1 will make winning the conference much more difficult.
Timeless

Postby Timeless » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:45 am

pdxmuskie wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:13 am
In Portland Colby went under screens and it cost us the game against Gonzaga. I do not know if that has changed but would be key if he is guarding their shooter. If the guy is mostly a shooter and not a slasher, I would not put Jones on him. Staying with a shooter requires discipline but not elite level defense. Assuming Kunkel will fight through screens and not foul the 3 point shooter, he would be the right guy to defend a shooter.

This is definitely a scary game. Marquette is getting a lot of respect by the various computer rankings and X is getting very little. It will feel so good to get this win but it is unlikely to be easy. 3 days rest between games is probably ideal so hopefully the team is focused and energetic. Dropping this 1 will make winning the conference much more difficult.
But hasn't Kunkel fouled a three-point shooter a number of times this year? Scary game is right, but I wonder if that is more on fans scared that this winning streak is not just an illusion instead of the work of a great coach and a talented team. When X was in the A-10 we complained that this was not the excitement we would see in the BE. Now we have no sure thing games and exciting games almost every time out. Just look at the Creighton game, we might have critiques of the defense but that first half was some of the most entertaining basketball to watch.
26+6=1

Postby 26+6=1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:20 pm

Liked what Rafferty said about the scoring on Creighton game. "Don't blame poor defenses here, these are about the two best offenses in college basketball."
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:06 am

The correct name is RAFTERY. Bill RAFTERY!

Let’s get the spelling correct since it is as archaic as this dotering old man. As are most of his dated expressions. including “Onions!” Which is a quaint, old expression that refers to an occurrence which brings tears to one’s eyes such as when a person is slicing onions.

It is nice to have the opportunity to clear up some of the obsolete information about Bill RAFTERY as it is long overdue. Too bad they don’t clear out this pathetic old man! (By the way I am an equally overaged old man of close to 77 years, XU 1968.)

The most annoying thing is when these dinosaurs masked as “presenters” rather than shills use the name of truly great albeit hall of fame
Star player such as Bob Cousy as though he is a relevant player now! In 2023! Sixty years after the cited HOF-ers prime playing days.

Young viewers I.e. sports fans under 50 years old can only scratch their heads & roll their eyes.

Does Bill RAFTERY have pictures on the net work execs or are they equally out of touch with their audience.

Knock me off my soap box rather than taking me out to pasture & wasting a bullet!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:58 am

Sitting in the Moderator's Suite and admiring yet another electric atmosphere at Cintas. We Mods will be hosting a lot of dignitaries including Aldi's Regional Mgr for S Western OH, and the weekend traffic reporter for WKRC. In my limited time seeing MQuette play, I think this will be the most athletic team X has played to date. Kolek was not a good player last year but is one of the best pass 1st PG in the country. They have length and everyone seemingly can beat their guy in space.

X will have the advantage in the post again. Free will get 20 plus. In a Nat'l COY performance so far, the only two blemishes with SM are his lack of developing the bench, and not playing more zone. I suspect he will have to play more of that today. X 85-83.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:36 pm

Love Boum, but his defense is horrific.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:43 pm

Every bucket by Kolek other than his 3 is to his left. No one is recognizing. Go zone, Sean. They are getting killed off the dribble.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:56 pm

X has a 10-rebound lead, which is not unexpected b/c it's hard to rebound a made basket. A bad combination is a poor defensive team playing man against one of the best-driving teams in the country. Kolek is a crafty PG, and is so left-dominant, yet scored 100% of his baskets going that way. Most of MQuette's baskets were driving in the paint. Sean hasn't put on a coaching clinic so far. It's like leaving cornerbacks on an island against Burrow.

Hunter playing another stellar game. Will be a good 2nd half. Need Boum to step up. Free needs to at least act like his playing D to warrant PT. He was unstoppable in limited time.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:13 pm

Marquette shot 60% in first half. We are making Kolak look like a All American. He is going left every time. He's not that quick. Very good half for Nunge and Hunter and Jones .Thank God we are at home.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”