Marquette game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: Marquette game thread

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:18 pm

Nunge is getting on the Floor. Love to see the Big man scrapping. Need to draw another foul on Ighodera. Love the way we pass the ball.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:27 pm

Nunge is saving us. Maddening that Jones isn't overplaying Kolak to his left. We need one more foul on Ighodero. Hunter is the man to draw it. Cooling off on the threes need to go inside.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:52 pm

Guys are tired. we need Hunter in and keep driving to the basket. Marquette is putting a lot of pressure on the ball. Everyone needs to move on offense and come strong to the ball . Can't be lazy. Come on Boum. Great pass by Kunkel.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:12 pm

Great finish. Xavier will be very tough to beat at home. Nunge and Boum were great. Miller is Coach of the Year. Go X.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:13 pm

Just finding a way to win! Top of BE and undefeated. Good job guys
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:25 pm

Marquette is a team that prides itself on turning opponents over could only turn X over 10 times today. X had 17 to 9 Offensive rebounds, 9 fast break points to 6. 20 assists on 31 made shots, 45 to 32 total rebounds. Biggest stat 28 points in the second half after letting them have 48 in first half.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:32 pm

My wife pointed out that it was a good move by Miller to have that 300 lb guy sitting next to him on the bench. Makes Miller look like a bathing suit model.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:57 pm

Another white knuckler. My heart cannot take many more of these but what a great team win. The guys seemed particularly psyched with the victory. I was real concerned when we missed that rebound at the very end, but Souley, our gift from the basketball Gods comes through again. Nunge was terrific. Never saw him play with such rugged determination. I hope he can keep that up. Hats off to Kolek he was a nightmare to guard. Shaka runs some great offensive stuff for a defensive minded coach. Go X!!! Great win.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:07 pm

Masterful coaching performance..... (and some fiery 2nd chance energy pts from Jack)
Just wow!
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:12 pm

A tremendous college basketball game and great to have X as a relevant team again. Two good teams, going toe-to-toe against each other.

The Graphic which compared the dramatic improvement from last season to this season in offensive statistics was telling. The three point shooting percentage, overall field goal percentage, assists per game and scoring are notable areas of vast enhancement. All are based off good shot selection. Today only Boum, Kunkel and Jones shot the three ball. Says everything about Coach Miller reining in the pitiful shot selection we witnessed in 2021-22.

We can savor today’s quality victory. Our family will be at the X pre-game Wednesday evening in Chicago and rooting on the Musketeers in the Wintrust Arena afterward.

Go Muskies!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”