Marquette game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Marquette game thread

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:32 pm

Souley when asked about the final minutes of the game. “That's how I've been my whole life, I like being in those moments," said Boum, who scored nine points in the final three minutes, including going 4-for-4 from the line. “I practice those free throws all the time, so I'm not scared of it. I just have to do my job to make sure my team leaves the building with a victory.”
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:37 pm

Kolek, who had 20 points on 9 of 11 shooting and four assists in first half but X held him to just 5 points in the second and was 2 of 7 from the field
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:45 pm

https://youtu.be/ncrq9a6CfZ0 Souley and Jack press conference

https://youtu.be/QwhukvcEitc Sean's press conference

https://youtu.be/Z6dqp0BlgNw Game highlights
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:01 pm

Great to come away with the win. Exciting game with a ton of big plays.

There are a few points of concern. For a 2nd straight game, the first half defense was terrible. Shot selection, particularly Boum, seems to be sliding a bit. 3 point percentage could have been much better simply by eliminating 3 shots that should not have been taken.

Nunge came up big with several hustle plays giving X an extra possession. Hunter played great defense on Kolek in the 2nd half. He also did not foul Marquette with 20 or so seconds left but we escaped with the win so its all good. Boum was great down the stretch once again. Kunkel also came up big hitting his FTs

Marquette is a great team. They and Creighton are most likely to give X a loss. I'm not sure about Providence as I haven't seen them play but their in conference results suggest they will also be a tough out.

I personally am not questioning whether this team is great and have no concerns about a meltdown. Games against Creighton and Marquette at home are scary because you don't want to drop home games and those teams are capable of getting the road victory. Losing close games to Indiana and Gonzaga have made it more difficult to secure a top 2 or even 3 seed in the tournament. Both should have been X wins. Even without Kunkel, X should have gotten the win against Gonzaga.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:46 am

The defense on Kolek in the first half was terrible. Boum, Jones, and Claude continued to let him dribble drive to his left which is the first thing you notice in the scouting report. Marquette is a really good team and we will probably get beat at their place if we decide to get in a track meet with them like we did in the first half.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:12 pm

skyhops wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:46 am
The defense on Kolek in the first half was terrible. Boum, Jones, and Claude continued to let him dribble drive to his left which is the first thing you notice in the scouting report. Marquette is a really good team and we will probably get beat at their place if we decide to get in a track meet with them like we did in the first half.
We should expect to not be favored in a few of these road matchups. A few losses is nothing to panic over. Marquette, Creighton, UCONN and Providence (maybe) appear to be tough outs. All of those road games are remaining.
Timeless

Postby Timeless » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:12 pm
skyhops wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:46 am
We should expect to not be favored in a few of these road matchups. A few losses is nothing to panic over. Marquette, Creighton, UCONN and Providence (maybe) appear to be tough outs. All of those road games are remaining.
X has a lot of away games in the second part of the conference season, and the timing between the UConn to Creighton games seems to be the toughest. Sean said tonight on his show that they would stay the night after the UConn game and then travel to Creighton the next day and have a day there before game day. If they can get 2 of the four games you mentioned that would be great anything more would be miraculous but we expect Sean to be the miracle worker
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:34 am

Hello Chjtown Steve,
Where is the pre-game gathering prior to the DePaul game? I hope it is north of Roosevelt Rd(1200 South).
I attended St. Ignatius H.S. From 1960 to 1963. the area around the Wintrust Arena approx. 14th & DMichigan Ave. was not the safest location although close to the Roosevelt Rd-12th “L” subway station.
Or one can just ask Slats Grubnik “Does dis bus go to he Loop.” A gem from Mike Royko, RIP.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:26 am

Sonoma Muskie wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:34 am
Hello Chjtown Steve,
Where is the pre-game gathering prior to the DePaul game? I hope it is north of Roosevelt Rd(1200 South).
I attended St. Ignatius H.S. From 1960 to 1963. the area around the Wintrust Arena approx. 14th & DMichigan Ave. was not the safest location although close to the Roosevelt Rd-12th “L” subway station.
Or one can just ask Slats Grubnik “Does dis bus go to he Loop.” A gem from Mike Royko, RIP.
The Pre-game is at Fatpour Tap Works at 22nd and Indiana, right across the street from the Wintrust Arena. The Arena is also on Cermak Road (22nd Street) at Indiana. Should be a nice crowd for the pre-game, learned it is sold out.The area has been cleaned up and is fine on game nights, a couple of nice hotels and spots to eat right there.

A Wolfpack? Know many of your fellow grads well. I’m a Crusader from Brother Rice and graduated a decade later. St.Ignatius is doing quite well. For some reason the two schools do not meet in hoops this year, both have fine squads. Always a good match-up when the teams do face each other.

Brother Rice’s Coach is Conte Stamas, who was an Assistant under Pete Gillen in the 1989-1994 time frame. This is his 1st year at BR and they are 19-2 and ranked in Chicagoland and the State.

Go Muskies!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”