Talk XU Men's basketball here...
olsingledigit

Re: Depaul game thread

Postby olsingledigit » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:58 am

kyzrex wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:19 am
Kevin Reilly wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:58 pm
The refs missed a blatant push in the back by Penn on Freemantle when DePaul got the last lead.

I’m glad you posted that. I thought that is what I had seen also, but hadn’t heard anyone else mention it. It was an obvious foul.
I agree. I saw it too.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:07 pm

We aren't deep enough to overcome 2 starters having bad games like Jones and Boum did.The same thing happened against Duke with Nunge and Freemantle.It's only one bad loss.Lets not have anymore.The rest of our road schedule is pretty tough.This is one we needed.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:04 pm

No coach is perfect, though Miller has better than about 99% of the other coaches. However, one of his two Achilles Heels reared its ugly head ag DP: his bizarre consolidation of personnel, where only seven guys play. Not only is it a bad look for recruits and transfers, but our guys are wearing down. Boum is still stellar offensively but has become mediocre in BE play from 3 point %. Kunkel’s 3 pt percentage is also going down, but it has to do more with shot selection, something the whole team is regressing in. The poster children of this have been Nunge and Kunkel.

I like Claude's potential a lot, but I don’t recall a guy who gets as much playing time as he does and is as horrendous an offensive player and turnover prone as he is. It’s perplexing that Tandy was having a very good year at 15-17 minutes a game in the first seven or so, and Kraft was shooting close to 40% from 3. How does Claude eat 90% of their cumulative minutes as a one trick pony? Even Kunkel, who I am a big fan of, is as bad defensively, as Claude is offensively. I’m actually in favor of him slide tackling players when he consistently gets beat to the hole. He still should be the starter and get the lion’s share of minutes, but when he goes into high turnover mode, and takes multiple bad shots (uncounted turnovers) Kraft or Tandy should get some of those. 25 -27 minutes would suit him better.

The BE isn’t like the Sun Belt. AAC, or SWAC, where getting one team in the Tourney is cause for celebration, despite getting an automatic bid. Percentage wise, it may be the best League along with the Big 12, as they have five teams (almost half the league) capable of reaching the E8. UConn beat Oregon, Ala (best team in the country and won by 15), Okl St, Fla, & Iowa St by an average of 20 pts, and are only 4-5 in conference. This is why while DP will probably cause X a seed line, they still have a good shot at 4 or 5. I was hoping for ten seed at the start of the year. Thankfully, Christopher made the hire of the year, excluding UK extending Bruiser Flint’s contract.

I know SM reads my posts, so I expect better player management and better defensive scheming by playing more zone. It has been a wonderful year so far, and X will be playing UConn, Creighton, and Providence after this Sat., giving them the opportunity to keep amassing the most Q1 & Q2 wins in the country along with the Paper Tiger Jayhawks. It is a glorious time to be a Muskie Fan, and a privilege to moderate a Board visited by over 11,000 fans on a daily basis.

Prediction for tomorrow: X wins 87-69, and Tandy will get to wash his jersey for the first time in a month.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:42 am

I'm assuming AH was drinking heavily before his last post given that it has almost no bearing in reality.

First DePaul was +5 in calls in their favor. I did not score the foul with 46 seconds left that wasn't a foul but sent Freemantle to the line. Technically that is a bad call against DePaul, especially given that Free made both FTs but he had full control of the ball, there was no contact warranting a call and we do not know how much more time X would have chewed up on the play and if they would have scored. Weird time in the game for a stupid call by the official. You can change the +5 to +4 or +6 depending on your view.

Bad shots by Xavier was 6 for the game. Significantly above their average but only slightly above recent games. Boum had 3 of those bad shots but did make 1 of them. Nunge had 1 where he shot a wide open 3 while unbalanced and before he took a dribble. He had so much space, could have taken a dribble or 2 to get set for a 3 or even get closer and he still would have been open. Jones took an unnecessary contested 3 on a fast break and Hunter took a shot near the rim where he just didn't have control and could have simply setup the offense. The 3 by Free was not counted as a bad shot but it was early in the shot clock and X was looking to get some rhythm going. Had he made it, it probably would have given the team lift but there was so much time to work for an easy shot that it was a missed opportunity to cut into the 4 point lead.

X had the typical or slightly above number of unforced turnovers.

X also gave up a number of easy drives at the rim but it was probably less than normal. DePaul hit a number of difficult contested shots. They also hit a few open shots from deep. They also got some easy shots off of sloppy turnovers and some of the bad shots Xavier took.

Jones and Boum couldn't finish today, even when they took good shots.

In my opinion, Miller is the best coach Xavier has ever had but he made mistakes down the stretch. Boum should not have taken the shot when down 1 given how poorly he played. Additionally, they should have taken an earlier shot given that neither team was playing efficiently offensively. Get the bucket and assume they miss or miss and have time to foul. This strategy is specific to how this game was going and not applicable to all games. Nunge should have had the ball in his hands. The final TO was also questionable but if that caused the turnover then it was brilliant. Team should have known to foul immediately if they couldn't get the steal so no need to use the final TO. Might need it for the inbounds whether down 1, 2 or 3. Inbounds to Nunge on final play was horrific. I'm guessing that was option A and Colby was expected to make the right call if Option B or C was needed. Obviously Colby made a terrible choice but if there was a TO remaining, would he have waited for option 2 or 3?

Now to address AH. Tandy had a great start to the season. Kunkel has generally played great basketball and has earned his starting spot as you mentioned. Tandy has struggled off the bench. My guess is, it is a mental thing. Sean probably should have tried letting Tandy start but giving starter minutes to Kunkel but at this point Tandy has shown nothing to warrant that experiment. I understand your comment about pulling Tandy after hitting his FTs but unfortunately fouling the 3 pt shooter but that foul was potentially more significant than 4 points. Xavier was just starting to pull away and DePaul was losing momentum and confidence. Giving up the 4 point play was also a swing in confidence.

Claude averages almost 18 minutes a game and 1.4 turnovers. That is hardly a turnover machine. He has had some bad games where he should get pulled but if he did get pulled his TO average might be below 1. His shot is not there yet and he should limit his 3s but he generally does that. His defense is usually good and he is capable of attacking the rim. His upside is very good but he has work to do. The off the bench Tany is unfortunately not a replacement for Claude.

Craft has a nice shot. He has had moments this year but he has also looked absolutely scared out there. Kunkel was 1 of a few players that played well against DePaul so not sure putting Craft in made any sense. Kunkel finished the game poorly but there was no reason to pull him prior to his last 2 misses.

Nunge had some mistakes but generally played well. Hunter had another great game and once again picked up fouls he didn't commit. Free had a solid game as well. The TOs were high for Free and he missed a couple shots he should have made but he rebounded well and shot well overall.

Time to move past this game. X is not overrated as someone said but there is a concern against athletic teams. X is not built to defend high level athletes nor score against them efficiently unless they get the ball to the block on a consistent basis and shoot well from outside.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:59 pm

I actually agree with AH. I’m sure that Claude is a good kid and will get better over time, however I’m not sure what he does well. There is no reason for Claude and Tandy not to get some of his minutes. We were gassed in the second half of the DePaul game. I don’t even think Claude is a point guard and he isn’t a shooter so not a 2 either. Our depth and lack of D will not get us far
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:52 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:04 pm

I like Claude's potential a lot, but I don’t recall a guy who gets as much playing time as he does and is as horrendous an offensive player and turnover prone as he is.
That is a joke, right?
GT 1 TO
Seton Hall 2 TOs
St Johns no TOs
UConn no TO
Villanova 1 TO
Creighton 1 TO
Marquette No TO
DePaul 1 TO
GT 1 TO

Every game he played 11 or more minutes
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:57 am

skyhops wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:59 pm
I actually agree with AH. I’m sure that Claude is a good kid and will get better over time, however I’m not sure what he does well. There is no reason for Claude and Tandy not to get some of his minutes. We were gassed in the second half of the DePaul game. I don’t even think Claude is a point guard and he isn’t a shooter so not a 2 either. Our depth and lack of D will not get us far
Claude CAN defend, is quicker/taller/longer, he takes care of the ball and he doesn't take f%^&ed up shots. that's why he plays more than Tandy and Craft. his role is NOT to score when he's in the game with Boum, Nunge, Free, and Jones. he doesn't HAVE to do that.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”