Depaul game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: Depaul game thread

Postby Kevin Reilly » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:58 pm

Not our best night. Jones and Boum going 4-26 is a nightmare. The refs missed a blatant push in the back by Penn on Freemantle when DePaul got the last lead. Well we have to learn and move on. Hope Kunkel is OK. We need to play hard both half's. Not our night.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:59 am

No need for me to pile on. Still, what was the purpose of the last play? DePaul, as is their custom, hands an unexpected final opportunity to win the game back to X and it results in a turnover? Heck, most of us would have accepted a 25 foot look at a three, rather than that ill-designed and poorly executed play.

Whoever concocted that play should run the same laps as KyKy Tandy for fouling a three point shooter in the 1st Half of a game.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:18 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:59 am
No need for me to pile on. Still, what was the purpose of the last play? DePaul, as is their custom, hands an unexpected final opportunity to win the game back to X and it results in a turnover? Heck, most of us would have accepted a 25 foot look at a three, rather than that ill-designed and poorly executed play.

Whoever concocted that play should run the same laps as KyKy Tandy for fouling a three point shooter in the 1st Half of a game.
The backdoor play idea was fine but there was no screen to free up Nunge. Also, if it wasnt there, they needed to look for options B & C and not force it. Probably multi-layered failure.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:37 am

Xavier lack of depth and poor perimeter defense finally caught up with them. Boum and Jones picked a bad time to play their worst games. Gonna be tough to win more road games
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:43 am

contrary to this board and social media, we didn't play "terrible". we SHOT terrible and too many people equate those things as being the same when really they can/should be mutually exclusive. did we take some "bad" shots? yes, but not many. we were 12-30 on what is categorized as a LAYUP. our 3's were OPEN minus the shot clock corner one at the end of the game. our two best players shot -1000% from the field. you combine all that together with DePaul shooting lights out and we still HAD THE CHANCE TO WIN THE GAME AT THE END. we just didn't

no panic here. on the road vs a team with nothing to lose, we just didn't get it done. we will be ok.

it's a bad loss, but we weren't going undefeated in conference anyway. would have preferred a loss AT Creighton or Marq so someone GOOD, especially since we just got to 8 and beat G-town at home won't help anything. get it done saturday and probably end up 12 or so next week.

it's fine.

we are behind you, boys.

LET'S GO X!
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:48 am

I hope we got that out of our system. It was AAU basketball, quick shots, no ball movement, lazy defense, etc. We did play at our pace and suffered the consequences. Selfish play loses every time. Feb. is going to be a very challenging month. This league is brutal.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:49 am

My mistake typo. We did NOT play at our pace. Sorry
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:40 pm

Certainly hoping I am not turning into a Pollyanna - but..... I felt this one coming, and actually made a $10 money line wager on Draft Kings prior which went off at +385. Obviously not to retire early, more of a mental band aid. As another poster mentioned, we were not going to go undefeated in league play. Plenty to take from this and learn. That said, to play as badly as we did, fall into the trap of playing faster than we should have. To forget to feed the post more and to miss switch & hedge assignments too often on their 3pt gunners - all that taken into account - we still win that game had we only made one of the dozen or so missed layups and bunnies. Especially down the stretch. No time to pout and feel sorry for ourselves. Compartmentalize this fiasco, adjust & tweak where needed, and power on...
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:59 pm

That was a Quad 3 loss. Our NET ranking went from 17 to 22. However, 2 of the 3 BE teams above us, Creighton and U Conn each have one Quad 3 loss also. A bad result yes, but not a disaster - Yet! I presume that Sean will have many teachable moments from the video in anticipation of the GT game. Of all the teams above us in the NET the teams have a combined 5 Quad 3 losses, with St. Mary's having two such losses.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:19 am

Kevin Reilly wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:58 pm
The refs missed a blatant push in the back by Penn on Freemantle when DePaul got the last lead.

I’m glad you posted that. I thought that is what I had seen also, but hadn’t heard anyone else mention it. It was an obvious foul.
#WHYNOTX?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”