Walter Mitty/The Little Engine That Could/The Mouse That Roared?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Sonoma Muskie

Walter Mitty/The Little Engine That Could/The Mouse That Roared?

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:05 pm

Fellow Muskies,
Let’s be honest. In the deep recesses of the Minds of most Muskies there was the hope(belief?) that Our Team could have “run the table” for the rest of the 2023 bb season- not only up to the “Big Show,” but on through the entire NCAA tournament, but on into the Championship to claim our rightfully won proper reward as World Champions.
Then reality struck & we lose to the widely dismissed Blue( blue !!??) Demons of Chicago, from the big, bad 2nd City no less!
But all is not lost. Let’s not jump off Cindy’s quaint “Singing Bridge” into the frigid Ohio River. At least it never freezes over as does Lake Michigan!
Let’s look at the loss to DePaul as a new beginning to reignite our team for the big battles ahead!
Honestly it was a pipe dream to believe the 2023 edition of the Xavier Muskies could go without a loss in the murderouslly competitive Big East conference. We joined the Big East it to use it as a springboard to enhance the achievements of the Xavier program , the Xavier Way.

So now is our opportunity to show what the Muskies can do.

P.S. let’s hope the team can overcome some of the challenges encountered so far: Nunge’s worn down physical condition, Kunkle’s leg injury etc.
Jesseandrippers

Re: Walter Mitty/The Little Engine That Could/The Mouse That Roared?

Postby Jesseandrippers » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:04 pm

Sonoma Muskie wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:05 pm
Fellow Muskies,
Let’s be honest. In the deep recesses of the Minds of most Muskies there was the hope(belief?) that Our Team could have “run the table” for the rest of the 2023 bb season- not only up to the “Big Show,” but on through the entire NCAA tournament, but on into the Championship to claim our rightfully won proper reward as World Champions.
Then reality struck & we lose to the widely dismissed Blue( blue !!??) Demons of Chicago, from the big, bad 2nd City no less!
But all is not lost. Let’s not jump off Cindy’s quaint “Singing Bridge” into the frigid Ohio River. At least it never freezes over as does Lake Michigan!
Let’s look at the loss to DePaul as a new beginning to reignite our team for the big battles ahead!
Honestly it was a pipe dream to believe the 2023 edition of the Xavier Muskies could go without a loss in the murderouslly competitive Big East conference. We joined the Big East it to use it as a springboard to enhance the achievements of the Xavier program , the Xavier Way.

So now is our opportunity to show what the Muskies can do.

P.S. let’s hope the team can overcome some of the challenges encountered so far: Nunge’s worn down physical condition, Kunkle’s leg injury etc.
Huh?
Sonoma Muskie

Postby Sonoma Muskie » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:47 am

Jessie,
Rather than just succumbing to the temptation to place blame for the fact that DePaul beat us because:
1. We did not come into Chicago with enough effort to win. We thought we could just “mail it in.”
2. Did our best to merely hand the victory to the rascally little “blue devils.” I always thought that coming from Hell all demons were by nature red(???).
3. The Muskies had many chances to win the game, but blew most of them
4.we choked in the last few minutes of the game.
5.we showed that we were OVERRATED.
I expressed my hopes that The DePaul loss, while still humbling could help the team right the ship & learn some lessons from the experience.
I used a fair amount of hyperbole to just “vent.”
Coach Miller & crew will no doubt address all of the shortcomings of the team & get us back on track.
Georgetown will probably be the whipping boys who will feel the wrath of the Muskies on Saturday.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:27 am

Sonoma Muskie wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:47 am
Jessie,
Rather than just succumbing to the temptation to place blame for the fact that DePaul beat us because:
1. We did not come into Chicago with enough effort to win. We thought we could just “mail it in.”
2. Did our best to merely hand the victory to the rascally little “blue devils.” I always thought that coming from Hell all demons were by nature red(???).
3. The Muskies had many chances to win the game, but blew most of them
4.we choked in the last few minutes of the game.
5.we showed that we were OVERRATED.
I expressed my hopes that The DePaul loss, while still humbling could help the team right the ship & learn some lessons from the experience.
I used a fair amount of hyperbole to just “vent.”
Coach Miller & crew will no doubt address all of the shortcomings of the team & get us back on track.
Georgetown will probably be the whipping boys who will feel the wrath of the Muskies on Saturday.
Thanks for the translation. Agreed. Overall, an unnecessary loss but the first of its kind so far this year. Shooting was very poor but dont think they took too many bad shots. Defense continues to be suspect as it should have been able to save us vs lowly Depaul. We have the athletes to be a plus defensive team, simply need to be better. We will have off shooting games but the teams that make it in the tournament have the ability to overcome an off shooting night with solid and timely D. Still growing but dont want us to sabotage our seeding too much while they are losing their training wheels.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”