Georgetown game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Georgetown game thread

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:56 pm

https://youtu.be/0Eh6pWLAwJ8 COLBY AND ZACK PRESS CONFERENCE

https://youtu.be/oDTDga_h2ns SEAN MILLER RANTS

https://youtu.be/TL0BNyVroTQ HIGHLIGHTS
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:04 am

Georgetown had 6 or 8 points in the paint at halftime. I can't remember which but it is way below what Xavier typically gives up. Georgetown finished with 20 points in the paint compared to Xavier's 52.

Yes Xavier allowed a guy to split defenders multiple times and guards allowed guys to get in the lane but Xavier forced contested shots at the rim which is an improvement to most of the season. I would guess Xavier has given up 4 uncontested layups in the first half on average and maybe 2 more in the 2nd. That didn't happen today. Xavier's defense is not good but it was better today than most of the season. Down 2 scorers certainly makes the final score a bit more embarrassing but it doesn't change the fact that Georgetown made a lot of contested shots.

It is also worth noting that Georgetown is 1 and 5 when shooting 50% or better from the floor. It is not uncommon for them to play well offensively. Their defense is simply terrible.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:34 pm

Allowing Spears to score 37 points in unacceptable. He was a Duquesne transfer, so solid player but not spectacular. I just can’t believe how we cannot keep our man in front on defense. The last two games have been concerning..
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:04 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:34 pm
Allowing Spears to score 37 points in unacceptable. He was a Duquesne transfer, so solid player but not spectacular. I just can’t believe how we cannot keep our man in front on defense. The last two games have been concerning..
X has struggled with allowing opposing players to have big games against them for the last several years. This is nothing new. I don’t see how anyone could have come into this season expecting Xavier to become an excellent defensive team just because of a coaching change. The players overall are slow off foot and lack the athletic capacity to be good man on man defenders. Overall the roster is much more suited to zone defense over man, but that’s not what the coach runs or teaches. I don’t expect significant improvement this year either. They are what they are, an excellent offensive team that will have to rely on their shooting, rebounding, and free throws to overcome their defensive deficiency. I’m just going to accept that and stop worrying about the defense. No sense in worrying about something that isn’t going to change.
#WHYNOTX?
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:27 am

skyhops wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:34 pm
Spears - didn't get to the rim as much as made tough 3's and tough pull-up jumpers off the dribble. he had a great game. would you rather we have one of their awful players go off and have a career night or just "let" Spears get his but make sure no one else beats us? the result was a win.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:00 am

No good college is allowing a player to get his especially someone of Spears caliber. Kolek had 20 in the first half which is unacceptable last week. Watch Millers press conference and he said the same. Spears shot 31 shots. GU was down two of their best players, so we could have easily lost that game. I agree with Miller our defense especially on perimeter is terrible and we will go 0-3 if it doesn’t change.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:22 pm

Miller is right that Xavier's defense is terrible because it has been bad all year and for many years. You will also notice in the press conference that he says he will have to watch the tape. My guess is that when he watched the tape he notices that for the first time this year, Xavier consistently stopped the ball rather than allowing uncontested layups. He will notice shots consistently made by Georgetown with hands in their face. Players vertical near the paint playing solid positional defense. He will also see guards getting beat way too often but that the bigs rotated to stop the ball.

Assuming that X would have been more likely to lose had Georgetown had their 2 injured players on the floor at full strength is a leap. Georgetown shot efficiently. Would these players have increased the shooting efficiency or decreased it? Would they have improved the defense or made it worse? I do not know what those players are likely to bring but I would not be surprised if they decreased scoring efficiency. They may even prevent Spears from getting hot because he doesn't see the volume. If they are great defenders (doubtful given that Georgetown is a terrible defensive team) or great rebounders then the probability X loses with them on the court increases but if they are scorers it probably decreases given how well the team shot without them.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”