Nova Game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XU_2011

Re: Nova Game thread

Postby XU_2011 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:38 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:05 pm
X beat them in offensive rebounds but lost on second-chance points 17-10

McKnight needs to shoot more threes. 2-2 tonight. He's been shooting well in the past few games
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:08 am

Agree that McKnight needs to have the ball in his hands more especially since he doesn't turn it over much. Des is not a dawg or a leader, which is well known among the team. Seems like a great kid and student athlete, but the only comparison to Colby that could be made is his height. This loss could spoil our only away win of the season. Gytis and Ciani are not bringing anything to our team currently. Lazar is not much better but at least has some offensive potential. Swain does need to be more aggressive on offense since his defensive is a net positive. Taking one shot in 20 mins is not going to work. Miller needs to stop calling meaningless timeouts early/mid second half.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:57 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:08 pm
Clade was dreadful. Miller made a gross miscalculation in the offseason by talking him up as Colby Jones the 2nd, so he wears that on his sleeve and tries to jam that square block into the round hole time after time every game. He is a horrible shooter outside of 8 feet and has caused X many key possessions. In the last five minutes, he had a non-traditional turnover when taking a non-in-rhythm three, though it at least hit the rim unlike many of his others and blew a bunny to take the lead. To top off the evening, he channeled his best "Marshall Hero Ball" by shooting the same shot he was about 0-8 today on, while a wide-open Olivari waited on the wing.

Miller has mismanaged him all year because he never faces any repercussions for his poor shot selection game after game. I suspect this scenario will play out again several more times this year.
CLAUDE was dreadful? why isn't anyone saying the same thing about Olivari? he was TERRIBLE. 3-13? 1-8 from 3? that's awful. If Olivari takes the last two shots that Claude took and missed them, what would everyone be saying about him here? Claude has shown his ability to hit mid-range J's this season. he was "off" tonight. it happens. he missed two good looks at the end. what else did you expect him to do when he got the rebound with 5 seconds? you take it and GO and when you're wide open from 17 ft, you shoot it. and contrary to what you might want to believe, Olivari was NOT open on the wing, nor are you going to pass it with 1 second left and hope he gets the shot off. Claude had one bad 3 he took in the second half but his shots were good looks for the most part. and we aren't even IN the game at the end if he doesn't drive for his "and 1" and hit the FT. he's the only guy on the team that can get to the paint/rim, create his shot, and actually get a GOOD one doing it. Miller drew up the perfect play, Claude executed it perfectly, just didn't make it. what else can you ask for? he's a SOPHOMORE! find the last team Xavier had where their "alpha" was a sophomore. it's been AWHILE. and like it or not, he's the best option at this point. we took a really good Nova team to the wire on the road. yes, it's frustrating we didn't find a way to pull it out, but this team is getting better. their D was excellent all night. we know we are going to have off nights on O, especially against teams like Nova who is just as good as us on D. Claude got taken out two separate times last night for bad D and shot selection as well. but you're not sitting him at the end of a close game. it's that simple.

on the game itself - Ousmane continues to improve and play well. nobody plays harder than that dude. Nova making 10 3's to our 5 was the difference. they have dudes that can light it up. we just don't have enough perimeter offense so we have to rely on dribble drive and our hi-lo game inside.

BE, as i said before, will be a GRIND. Seton Hall looked HORRENDOUS against us then goes and beats Providence on the road. Besides Depaul, this league - any game is winnable and any game is losable.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:23 am

After the St John's game I thought to myself, they have shown the entire league how to shut us down. They dogged Olivari the entire game, and so did Nova last night. Olivari was off, but Nova also dogged him all night and did not ever let him get an open shot. When he had a little opening he was rushing the shots because they were always closing on him. Until we get another player who can take up the slack this will happen every game. Maybe, as someone said, McKnight should take more shots.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:41 pm

Longliveskip beautifully said I could not agree with you more in everyone of your comments. It was a tough loss and yes Claude had a tough night shooting but they were good shots and we would be singing his praises today if the last two went in. I was tough on Sean after the St Johnś game but tonight I thought his game plan was outstanding. It was the best D we played all year. The double teams upset there tempo and created 9 steals. Villanova is going to get there 3ś but many were contested. In my opinion it is the development of the bigs that will determine our destiny this year. I like the way Swain is playing and he will get more comfortable as he gets more playing time. I remain patient. GO X!!!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:33 pm

Skip, Claude is 11/35 shooting FG's in the big east and was terrible yesterday. Olivari has been our best player by a landslide this year and we would have a few more loses if not for him. Olivari is a marked man by every team while they dare Des to shoot 3's. The Euro's were bad as usual, but we don't expect much from them (at least I don't) Claude was a main reason for that loss.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:38 pm

In a 1-point loss, many things contribute, but the two things that stand out are the last two plays for X on offense in the game. Both were headlined by Des. The play with about 22 seconds left was a drive-by Des, and on that drive, the Nova player bumped Des. A bump that in many games on a drive to the basket that results in a bump intended to impede a drive is called a foul. It wasn't called, but Des let it throw him off in his drive and made him a little tentative in his decision-making with the shot. The last play was a good decision because you don't throw the ball to another player when there is a second on the clock. Could he have taken the ball deeper and maybe drawn a foul on Dixon like Des did just a few minutes before against a Nova player? By the time he took the shot, there were tens of seconds on the clock, so maybe not, and we can all say what if, but Des decided to take the blame or the success on his shoulder as a leader often does. I wish the driver had been McKnight because he has that pull-up that worked at the start of the game or Quincy with his teardrop that also fell early in the game, but both had their shots miss at other points in the game

I remember a game in the gardens where an ND player with 4.+ seconds drove the court for a layup, but that was another time.

I hope that X is a winner from this game because they came closer than many expected to upsetting Nova on their home court...with or without one of their stars.

And to Des, I still thank you for having the guts to take the shot, and next time when you drive, be the man you are and dunk it in the opponent's face like you said you were going to do more often this year. Don't be nice, be nasty
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:07 pm

He didn’t want the ball when it Dixon missed it. Des isn’t going to get that call going up soft especially with that crew. Dunk the ball Des
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:18 pm

Everyone seems to be piling on Claude. Yes is a awful 3 point shooter but he is our best player. Nobody liked Colby Jones more than me. Lets compare Jones Sophomore year to Claude's second year. Jones averaged 11.6 points and almost 8 rebounds a game. Jones shot .68% from the foul line. Claude is shooting 71% from the foul line, and scoring over 14 points a game and about 5 rebounds a game. Jones shot 29% from the 3 point line and Claude is shooting 22%. Both couldn't shoot the 3's as Sophomore's. The big difference is Jones had a lot more talent around him. Jones was playing with Nunge, Freemantle, Johnson, Scruggs and Kunkel. He wasn't required to put the team on his back. Jones was a complementary player as a Sophomore. Jones worked on his three and shot it a lot better as a junior. He shot 38% as a junior. We just don't have a lot of offensive talent on the team right now. I didn't see Olivari fighting for the ball down the stretch. Claude's game at this stage is over powering defenders at the rim or muscling for a 8-10 foot shot. He's not quite ready to win games at the end yet but he will with time. We would be awful without him. Of course everyone was disappointed that Claude missed those last two shots but he had the guts to take them . He will continue to get better. He is a lot like Jones in that he's more comfortable being a team player and at this stage doesn't yet have the mind set to take over games at the end. Most of that is his due to lack of confidence in his shot. Keep playing hard Des It will come.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:32 pm

Des has played well against poor teams this year, but typically not so well vs good teams. Teams are daring him to shoot 3's, which I never remembered a few years ago with Jones. Des is a solid player as a 4th option. Quincy took over this team as the leader when Claude wasn't able to be.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”