228th, 199th, 154th out of 351 Division 1 schools says it all

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

228th, 199th, 154th out of 351 Division 1 schools says it all

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:11 am

The Xavier team's inability to score points is their main problem . Last night against Nova X scored 65 points and lost by 1 point. There are 351 Division 1 mens basketball teams. Xavier ranks 228th in FG % made. Xavier ranks 199th in 3 point shots made. It is hard to win when you do NOT score enough points by not putting the ball through the basket. Scoring is their big issue and not the only issue.
xaviermuskie2003

Re: 228th, 199th, 154th out of 351 Division 1 schools says it all

Postby xaviermuskie2003 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:48 am

Sean Miller continues to struggle without Steele's recruits.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:24 pm

Good one. Steele had a lot of talent and never made the tourney in four years, nice guy below average coach. His first team should have done damage in tourney.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:08 am

As long as the focus is on offense, this team will not win games. They don't have the firepower to score in bunches. They have to defend consistently. That means no open lanes to the rim and no wide open 3s with the exception of guys you truly want shooting wide open 3s.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:07 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:24 pm
Good one. Steele had a lot of talent and never made the tourney in four years, nice guy below average coach. His first team should have done damage in tourney.
All you did was complain about players but now you call them lots of talent?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:17 pm

Huh? Please don’t come after me wblut Steele you are better than that. Nice guy just a below average D1 coach as seen by performance at Miami. Let’s move forward. You saw what happened after he was let go. I’d take Naji, Tyrique, Scruggs, Hanky, Welage, and Q and make a tourney.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:24 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:17 pm
Huh? Please don’t come after me wblut Steele you are better than that. Nice guy just a below average D1 coach as seen by performance at Miami. Let’s move forward. You saw what happened after he was let go. I’d take Naji, Tyrique, Scruggs, Hanky, Welage, and Q and make a tourney.
You started it with the LOT OF TALENT remark after you ragged on the players for years Paul, Q, and others were your targets, just like you have hit on Abou, McKnight, and the international players this year.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:05 pm

MM, I think most of the ragging on talent was more about the coach. My recollection could be wrong but I believe it was mostly about their shot selection. Playing outside of a person's skillset is generally an issue with the coach. When losing becomes the norm, things become questionable - is it the coach or the players? Evidence suggested bad coaching or at least a coach without any power over players.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:07 pm

pdxmuskie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:05 pm
MM, I think most of the ragging on talent was more about the coach. My recollection could be wrong but I believe it was mostly about their shot selection. Playing outside of a person's skillset is generally an issue with the coach. When losing becomes the norm, things become questionable - is it the coach or the players? Evidence suggested bad coaching or at least a coach without any power over players.
When you have a starting team of talented players that take shots, as you describe them, outside their "skillset," is it always the coach? I mean, coaches are not out there on the floor with the basketball in their hands thinking they have to do something like players do when they think the fans expect them to be the man. You know you have seen players take the Oh Noooooooo, yes shot, and you can't tell me the name of a player that never took a dumb shot...I read on this board how Tu, Trevon and JP took dumb shots, in fact, I don't believe on this board we have ever had a player that has never made a dumb play. I mean, if you have talented players, do you sit them and let much less talented players blow a game just to make a point...sounds like a Mick Cronin move there. You know, when ND has a great season but loses a game, fans determine that losing has become the norm why because fans are fickle, and many only see the negative, maybe because they can't brag when their team loses.

The point is It is noticeable that Skyhops is not here to celebrate when X wins as much as he is here to criticize when they lose.

No defense is perfect, but being the 23rd defense in the country isn't chopped liver when you have the 4th toughest schedule in the country with all new players and two of the best-returning players sitting on the bench with injuries.

I think the team has come light-years from the first game of the season X lost. Gytis has seen most of the D and Os teams throw out there, and he is starting to let the game slow down for him and has shown it in the last few games. Trey Green, after being scorched for his D and told not to shoot threes, has given a spark to this team from deep lately. McKnight was criticized for about everything in his game but runs the team with few mistakes and enough assists to make him top five in the Big East, and now there is some punch on the O side. Quincy, at the beginning of the season, was claimed to never be a player as good as Souley but has become a very good scorer, a point better average than Souley was last year, and plays D much better.

Oh well, I am sure Philly, Cleveland, and Miami football fans are bitching and moaning after their teams blew a great season in the playoffs.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:30 pm

an update: X's 3 point scoring as a team has vastly improved from 199th as a team to 107th as a team congrats...now scoring in the 70s and 80s as a final score in latest wins. vast improvement

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”