UConn game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
bluegrass

Re: UConn game thread

Postby bluegrass » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:37 am

For X to win this game UCONN was going to have to shoot poorly which clearly they didn't other than at the foul line. Nice job of rebounding and getting to the line and converting by X but our FG % was horrible again . If you get 20 offensive rebounds seems like you should have more than 15 second chance points.Ousmane had 8 on his own but only 9 points.He doesn't have the best touch around the rim but he's our only real option there.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:44 am

pdxmuskie wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:53 am
No doubt Uconn is a great team and well coached. That certainly contributes to how they were able to get so many uncontested layups in the 2nd half. The open 3s certainly didn't help the X cause either.

Officiating was bad in the first half. More bad/questionable calls went against X than for X. Agree with the hook call being tragically bad as a hook wouldn't even benefit the guy in position. It would benefit the Ucon player who was out of position. The Uconn player more than likely intentionally tied up with X to make rebounding more difficult with a single arm. Next play was a similar logic officiating error but I do not recall specifically what the call was but again went against X.

Regardless of the officials, this team could have won. Sean needs to understand that he doesn't have the 5 star recruits he had at AZ. Outscoring teams can work when you have superior athletes and talent. It doesn't work when you have moderate athletes at most positions. Defense is how you win with that type of player. It is how he was great during his first tenure at X. Miller needs to coach for the players he has not for the players he wishes he has.

As an example, if a coach told me to attack the guy guarding me and dunk all over him, I'm not going to succeed. If he tells me to attack the rim and make a decision on how best to generate points, I'm going to find the seam and either take the layup, dish to the big man or kick to the wing. 1 of those will be open looks 75% of the time.

Olivari was hunting 3s early and it was a fail. I love him shooting. He is certainly the best shooter on the team but he needs to let the game come to him. When he is hot, he can hunt 3s because he does have the ability to hit them when he is feeling it. Get the rhythm first then go get it. Everyone else needs to limit deep shots to open unrushed looks or shot clock desperation shots.

Losing to number 4 is obviously not bad but X is running out of time. They have lost too many games, many close because of carelessness and lack of consistent defense. This team will never be a potent offense but they can limit open looks. Nova was a key loss and likely eliminates X from NCAA. Perfectly reasonable given the player turnover but disappointing when you consider the lost opportunity.
literally will never understand when fans make statements like this.

so, we're out of the tournament now? that's it? why even play any more games if the Nova game eliminated us? that statement makes ZERO sense. we are far from "out of it". we've played FOUR league games and you are writing us off already. c'mon, man. so, if we BEAT Nova, would we most likely be IN the tournament? NO. still so much more basketball left to be played. how in the heck does that game eliminate us from the NCAA? it doesn't.

plenty of season left.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:17 am

We are playing to try and make BE tourney.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:23 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:33 am
I was at the game the entire time and many around mentioned the same thing about this team looking like they had given up and were lifeless, which is probably why many left the game which I never do. I was not far behind the UConn bench and this game was never in question to them not to mention that we took 5 secs to foul their best shooter and they McKnight carelessly throws away the ball. I know Obu needs a rest but Lazar and Ciani can’t be on the court at the same time. I think against top five teams we have had the lead once. Hopefully we will improve. Claude is overmatched on defense and offense.

I disagree Hops. They gave a full effort to the end. No one in our section 107 felt they quit. We don’t have the horses but they did not quit.
did you just edit or reply to your own post and disagree with yourself here? just wondering. :)
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:12 pm

One thing that UConn showed last night was that they can play successfully at different tempos. They showed down the game and scored consistently, and when they went uptempo, they had layups and run-outs.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:33 pm

I believe we can't play much better than last night. Except for running under screens on three point shots to start the game we really battled. Can't let a team like U Conn shot 45% from the three point line. Nemeiksa played very well and should have got more minutes. Djokovic is not ready to help and neither is Swain. The starters play a lot of minutes. We need some production off the bench. Not sure if we will get it this year. I think Miller is doing a great job with this years team. Just not as much talent as we are use to. I applaud the defensive effort. All you can ask for is effort and I think the team is giving all they have.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:23 pm

I said in the beginning of the season that X is playing with house money, and wouldn't make the tourney, especially playing arguably one of the hardest non-conf schedules in the country, along with playing in the best league in the country. I thought it would take three years to be one of the top 20 programs annually like we're accustomed to, but Miller pulled a rabbit out of a hat with the improbable SW 16 run, and another near E8 advance if only 18-22 possessions went our way against TX.

X lost its two best players by far 6 weeks before the season started and best shooter in Craft. Then, their very talented (reportedly) 6'10" stretch pot player in Djoko hurt his hand and missed many critical weeks of practice. Even Miller couldn't overcome that. Despite that, they have been in every game except for one: Johnnies. That's 90% due to Miller. Yesterday, they played the best team in CBB for the 2nd straight year. Ya know, the same team that beat most teams in the tourney by 15-25 points but lost to X 2X. X has three players you can count on: McKnight, Olivari, and Ousame. Trey Green will be there next year. I was hoping to include Claude, but despite the two threes which I was happy to see (especially thrilled that he took two step back three pointers, thrilled I tells you) he still ended up 3-12 from the field again, including missing 8 in the paint. Great defender and passer, but an 8 shot limit needs to be mandated by Miller, stat!

X-Luc, I too was dumbfounded with that under 8 lineup. Playing two bigs most of the time all game was really dumb, especially when the best team in the country played small ball. I almost lost my appetite despite having delicious sliders catered by Ruby Tuesdays in the Moderator Suite. How many times did you see UConn players run by the bigs for labs, or get wide-open shots because the bigs weren't quick enough to navigate around the screens? A top 10 coach in the country shouldn't make those strategic errors but he did.

And btw, someone said the game is too fat for Swain. Nothing could be further from the truth. Best defender on the team (saw Claude get beat on 4 or so occasion last night) who has a limited but evolving offensive game. He will be a stud.

X ain't going to the tourney, but if they stay healthy, will be a force to reckon with next year. BTW, I saw a stat, that X has the 10 most wins of all programs in D 1 since 1985. Remarkable, considering unlike 98% of the programs, including the one 3.3 miles away (UNLV East), they graduate 100% of their players, don't tolerate malfeasance, fix grades for recruits and students, nor condone felonious assaults off or on the court. Fun fact I thought I would conclude this post with.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:58 pm

Stating a close loss possibly eliminates a team from the tournament is not the same as saying the loss eliminates the team. Most believe X needs 11 conference wins to make the tournament or at least thought that prior to the start of conference play. Things may play out differently as the right mix of other teams losing could create an easier path for Xavier. Maybe X needs 9 in conference wins because of a strong finish the committee views favorably or some other factors. Point is, close losses are missed opportunities and make getting the invite more difficult when already fighting an uphill battle.

AH is right about Swain being a positive contributor most games. He has bad moments and needs to develop his offense but he is certainly useful most of the time. On the right team he would be amazing as is but Xavier struggles offensively too often making a player like Swain less of a positive.

AH is going out on a limb stating Craft is Xavier's best shooter. He might be but there has been no evidence that Craft would have been able to contribute in any meaningful way. I also doubt he would be a better shooter than Olivari. Losing Hunter and Free of course is huge and is reason enough for Xavier to have a down year.

My frustration originates from the fact that X is close in a number of games but just can't get it done. Typically the loss is failure to defend, with the exception of Oakland, which was an incredible offensive display by Oakland. Generally I see this as a lack of effort rather than a lack of talent. Despite some criticisms of Miller recently, this year will not be blamed on Miller. It is a rebuild but I'm hopeful Coach can figure out a way to get the team back to the NCAA tournament. This team is capable of consistently beating all but the top 3 teams in the BE. Defense will most likely determine if that happens or if we are back to the NIT.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”