Creighton vs Seton Hall

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Creighton vs Seton Hall

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:49 pm

Anybody else watch that game? Triple overtime and the refs put away the whistles. Game of the season so far. I only watched to get a read on Creighton. They looked better than U Conn to me. Kalkbrenner rolls to the basket better than any big man in the country. Alexander and Scheierman look like All -Big East caliber players. They looked like the best Big East team I have watched. Hope they are tired from the triple overtime game. Seton Hall looked a lot better than when we played them too. I know we are not supposed to talk about other teams too much but that game was great. I am counting on Miller to out coach them and have a good game plan. It would be a good win for our resume. We can do it but need Kalkbrenner to get in foul trouble. He blocks a lot of shots and bothers a lot of shots. Students , players and coaches need to be ready. Can't wait for the game. Go X
Kevin Reilly

Re: Creighton vs Seton Hall

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:55 pm

Well I got to excited about the Xavier Creighton game. It is a away game. The students don't have to be ready. LOL. My bad.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:34 pm

Don't forget Creighton scored 48 pts against UCONN. Just sayín.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:56 pm

Connecticut 72 Damn good point. I can't imagine that team only scoring 48 points. Shows you what I know. Creighton looked great to me vs Seton Hall. Kalkbrenner looked a lot better than he played last year. His hands have improved a lot. When he rolls to the basket he is deadly. Creighton got hammered by Colorado State ( 21 POINTS ) and they lost to UNLV by 15 points so I must have caught them on a hot night
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:12 pm

Creighton is a damn good team (Net 11), and agree that Kalk has gotten even better offensively, and is one of the best-shot blockers in cbb. Personnel is still great, but while they have even more really good shooters than normal, they lost athleticism when their pg (name? went to Zags) and wing (Kaluka?) left. They are equally efficient in the half court as they are on the break. X has greater athleticism and needs to make them play D. Their pg (Ashworth, talented but slight pg) and Miller (long wing, athletically challenged, but shoots about 50% from 3) need to be attacked. If Ashworth guards McKnight, which I suspect, he needs to drive it on him as much as possible. Same with Green when he comes into the game.

I hope X employs their zone press with Swain.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:17 pm

This is a difficult matchup for us since our perimeter defense is terrible and we don’t have a matchup for their big. Toughest place to play in the BE.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:53 pm

Kalk doesn't force shots like most players. He thus shoots at a very high percentage. X bigs generally stay in front of their man, with the exception of fast/athletic bigs and when they help on penetrating guards. Kalk has a height advantage so he may feel comfortable shooting over the X post defenders but he seems to prefer uncontested shots. If X guards keep Creigton out of the lane and X bigs stay home on Kalk he likely will have a good but not an amazing offensive day.

Creighton and SH are both very good teams.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:52 pm

Guards need to keep pressure on the pick and roll passer.. Kalkbrenner is deadly when he rolls to the basket. Creighton looks a little leg weary after the triple overtime game. We need to take advantage of it. Alexander is off to a hot start We need to move the ball a lot faster. too much dribbling by Claude.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:12 pm

Creighton is definitely leg weary. I think two of them played all 55 minutes last game. Claude has 11 shots already. He is confident
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 pm

Damn Ashworth all 170 lbs of him threw Djokovicon the floor.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”