Creighton Game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Creighton Game thread

Postby muskieman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:14 pm

2 four minutes wars left and Sean gets a T
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:18 pm

The same official that gave Sean a T was the same that was talking to McD, and after that, the ref started shouting at Sean.

Now official calls one on Abou and stares down Sean
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:30 pm

Image James Breeding net orth 2-4 mill est. from his ref work
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:40 pm

Lost the last two wars with the help of James Breeding. Larkin had some tough remarks about him.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:47 pm

Well I was wrong about Scheierman . Claude took 23 shots. He seems to lean away on his drives and doesn't draw fouls like Olivari. That was a game we should have won. Claude went to sleep in the second half. I wish Green and Nemeiksa had got more time. Not sure how Djokovic earns any time? Miller's T didn't help and Ousmane had his silly fouls again. The game was right there. Creighton was a tired team. We should have taken advantage .
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:40 am

Creighton was not tired. These guys are in there teens and early 20s. There is no issue for anyone under 6'10. Kalk didn't look tired so that was not a factor.

Xavier outplayed Creighton. Xavier deserved the win. Sean was right to get a T. He should be awarded sainthood for not getting physical after Creighton got the ball back after the review. I didn't hear the sound as I was in a sports bar but was told they were reviewing whether the ball hit the rim. Doesn't matter if the ball hit the rim if you don't get the out of bounds call right. Review the call that matters.

Officials were good most of the game. Olivary did foul when he pushed the dude who locked him up but that should be a basic foul since they were locked up. A warning would be fine but no reason to call FTs and the ball. A couple other late calls against X but really it was all about the extra FTs and possession that decided a well played game.

Xavier made a few mistakes - open shooters, some dumb shots but mostly played fantastic. In the first half when Creighton took the lead before the BS call on Olivari, I was thinking this is a good loss. Creighton is finding a way to win despite X playing well. That is not how I felt about any losses this year other than Oakland. Then X came back, got sucker punched by the officials but still stayed in it. Built a nice lead in the 2nd, allowed Creighton to get a taste when they didn't rebound the FT miss and then the refs took over.

What a travesty to the game. This game has enormous weight on whether X makes the tournament. X needs a marquee win. This would have given X that win. Instead, X is on the outside looking in, needing another great game just to get them back to where they should be. #CreightonCheats should be trending. Better if anyone knows the officials who decided the outcome.

The good news is Xavier showed they can compete against top teams. This wasn't Houston where Houston looked terrible or Purdue where the matchup is favorable. Xavier forced Creighton into a bunch of turnovers. Xavier played with energy and mostly executed on the offensive end.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:14 pm

I thought maybe we could pull this one out but winning out there isn't easy.I'd like to think we could beat them at home.Sean brought up the poor defense on the inbounds plays. Creighton hit several 3's out of those . The defense overall hasn't been good the last 2 games . Teams are killing us behind the arc. Foul trouble certainly was a big factor.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:40 pm

Not a bad loss to be honest. Just didnt shoot as well as they did. Shot selection needs to get better. We only had 5 assists TOTAL.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:44 pm

The refs were not great but that is to be expected at CU when McDermott bitches and complains that whole game it happens every year (same with Hurley). Des has to step up and play two complete halves. He missed way too many easy shots and stopped being aggressive, but that has happened a few times this year. We need to get more than 4 points in 42 mins from our bigs too. Rumor was Lazar was thinking of going back home a few weeks and his play has suffered. Nzeh must be a project because I can't imagine anyone playing worse than Lazar and Ciani the last few games.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:43 pm

Some good points. We are close in a lot of games but we cannot seem to close out. The two pud losses at home make it almost impossible for us to get to the NCAA
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”