UConn game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: UConn game thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:31 pm

Claude continues his net/negative trend. After going a scorching 7-23 last game, he is 1-4, but three of those shots he had no business of taking. On the plus side, he is cementing his place as the team leader in T.O.s, as he has 3 already in the 1st half.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:34 pm

Sean should have plenty of inbound plays by our opponent to find one or two our guys can practice because ours vs theirs is night versus day
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Damn slow on defense , slow on offense . We are lacking effort and heart so far. Worse half of Xavier basketball in 40 years. Hard to believe a Miller team would have this kind of effort.

I just made that same 40 year comment on our first half. This is embarrassing. Are we turning in to DePaul?
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:58 pm

Tough watch... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:01 pm

Kevin Reilly wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:42 pm
Damn slow on defense , slow on offense . We are lacking effort and heart so far. Worse half of Xavier basketball in 40 years. Hard to believe a Miller team would have this kind of effort.
I don't think there's an issue with effort. There's a great talent disparity. UConn was far and away the best team in CBB last year, with an average margin of victory of 25 in the Tourney, including a 20 pt. win in the Championship. X actually beat them twice. They're even better this year, and are again, far and away the best team in CBB.

Everyone knows the injuries that X was dealt with. When four freshmen getting significant minutes and two clearly aren't ready to play yet at this level (Ciania & Djoko) and your alleged "Alpha" - Claude, wouldn't be one of UConn's top six players, you don't have a fighter's chance.

I was happy to see him sitting Claude for significant minutes. I like Claude, when he understands his many limitations. I don't mind him missing seven-footers, but driving through traffic as he often does and losing the ball, and also shooting outside seven feet, warrant him sitting significant minutes. He also lost his man with bad positioning twice, especially the early slip by Karaban.

Try and close the gap and go on a run next week.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:03 pm

For awhile it looked like we might not have 20 points at halftime. Swain didn't score or get a rebound. How does he start. Claude was even worse... 2 points, one rebound and even worse defense. Don't know if it was the early start, playing a good team or we don't have our usual talent level but that was not acceptable for a Xavier team. I hope we at least fight and show some effort. It would Be interesting to hear what Miller said to them at halftime.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:06 pm

Kevin Reilly wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:42 pm
UConn is a deliberate team who can play fast or slow. Offensively they are one if not the most deliberate team in the BE. They lull you until they sense you are back on your feet, and they are ready to attack with their quickness. When they are in transition they are aggressive with no backing down and take it to the rim hard. X cannot match UConn’s athletics, which means they have to be better at protecting the ball because 9 TOs in one half will not do it.
I think the effort is there but they need to win the rest of the wars in this game. Take advantage of how UConn is flying around on Defense and make it work against themselves. Strong with the ball and take it at the chest of the UConn players
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Wedgeman

Postby Wedgeman » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:14 pm

I just realized why very few post on this board. No reason for my comments to be axed. :P

Stay insignificant!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Finally the refs call Neton for traveling. Should have done it all 4 times he has traveled.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Wedgeman wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:14 pm
I just realized why very few post on this board. No reason for my comments to be axed. :P

Stay insignificant!
Your posts condem themselves as you try and upset posters. Your little success this year is admirable and we like it because it makes our in look better but go back in your hole and pray your team keeps playing enough to beat the bottom of the Big 12.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”