Depaul game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: Depaul game thread

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:51 pm

Certainly Trey is a liability on D and really needs to add some muscle and weight in off- season. That screen action late was nice to get him an open look, but Trey also needs to be able to create and pull up off a dribble and hit a few as that is how he was advertised and we have seen him do that a few times this season. Like you said KR, when bigs come out to screen they cannot offensive rebound. I would have liked to see Trey try and hit Kazi on a roll to basket on that 2nd attempt late to get him a look instead of hoisting another three up 20+ with a minute to play. But what the heck, DePaul is horrific and deserved the beat down. One aspect Trey should be better at now is ball security and a stronger handle. So that is a bit concerning, but again, he’s a talented Freshman with time to develop.
And yes, I am assuming Des is already following Colby’s example and working hard on his perimeter shot!
Word seems to be out on Kraft not intending to return. I would be very interested if anyone knows the skinny on Reid Ducharme? Is he practicing hard, sick, injured, disillusioned, all of the above?
Inquiring minds would love to know...
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:15 pm

It’s hard for a 25-point win to make my eyes bleed, but it happened last night. Horrendous game, but a win is a win. Q was his fabulous self, and McKnight was good, but not nearly as good as normal. You know you are one of the best distributors in the new Conference of Champions when having a 2:1 A/TO ratio represents a bad day for you. Claude was decent, but I think X should spend a significant portion of its modest NIL budget on hiring that psychologist from Shallow Hal, to convince Desmond that the only points that count for him are ones made in the paint. His threes aren’t even close. They don’t rim in and out, but clank off the side or back of the rim. The only positive that can be gained is a potential offensive rebound. The peril is a fast break opportunity for the opponent. I’ve watched all year that the guy who guards him backs away, encouraging an errant shot. Unfortunately, Des usually accommodates. He is stellar in every other way.

I really, really liked seeing Djoko. He needs to be worked in more, because his height, athleticism, rebounding, and D, give X the “Hunter-like player” they’re missing this year. He can also score, though he is not a high-volume guy at this point. Nemeiksa and Ousame just ain’t cutting in. They’re sporadically decent-good. Amazingly, SM has been able to get the team to play as competitively as they have (minus the UConn game) with the talent level of the team. Must win Tuesday. I hope to see some zone sprinkled in, especially when Ousame picks up his inevitable 2nd foul before the first TV break.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:41 pm

Sounds like Jerome tore his ACL, he has had some bad luck. Let’s hope for a speedy recovery.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:50 pm

skyhops wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:41 pm
Sounds like Jerome tore his ACL, he has had some bad luck. Let’s hope for a speedy recovery.
Not sure it is ACL but he was injuried in practice and could be an Achille tear.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:38 am

Would be much better if just the ACL, but sadly Rick B. Indicated it is feared to be the Achille.
You can’t even dream up this much bad luck for one good man.
Prayers for Jerome.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:57 pm

On 1 hand McKnight didn't play as well as normal but on the other, he had 3 steals to offset his 3 turnovers.

Claude was fantastic attacking the rim but he shot way too many 3s. He is open for a reason. If Olivari wasn't on fire, those unforced turnovers (3 point shots) by Claude could have lost the game.

Lazar was cheated a block in the ESPN stats. He had 2. I'm guessing he didn't get credit for the shot he got just enough of to cause a miss by a DePaul post player. The other block was very obvious so can't imagine him not getting credit for that 1.

Ousmane does commit some dumb fouls but otherwise he is a very solid post player. He isn't a David West or Nunge but he is solid.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:52 am

Our interior play has been awful. Look for Nova to after Abu and Ciani this evening. Thank goodness for Quincy vs DePaul.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”