Nova Game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: Nova Game thread

Postby Kevin Reilly » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:13 pm

Ousmane with a great block. Swain played very well again. Six for twenty seven on three points shots is rough. Not pretty but got it done. Te hope lives on. Go X
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm

Great win!!!! Don't tell me we are not in the running for a bid when we defeat Providence, St John, Villanova , & Butler all who are supposedly ahead of us. Tonight's game was a tough hard minded victory and I was so happy to see X tough it out with guts, determination and excellent defense. In the Post Game interview Sean said and I was thinking the same way at the end. He said do not give up the three defend it hard if they score two we are still ahead. I would like to give a shout out to Swain he played hard and helped big time on the D. Letś Go X!!! We ain't done yet.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:10 pm
note that 5 blocks by Abou

I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:38 pm

Great defensive effort for most of the game. Giving up uncontested layups on 3 or 4 consecutive possessions in the 2nd half was pathetic and they had plenty of open looks from deep that luckily didn't fall but we mostly played strong defense.

Claude was an absolute disaster and his 3 when X was up 2 with about a minute left was a callosal mental error. I was ridiculed for suggesting Claude should be benched until he understood his role but guessing many now understand why that lesson would have paid dividends down the stretch. He is a great talent, just not able to shoot from deep at this time. He gets a pass on 2 of his attempts which were late in the shot clock.

Ousmane was huge tonight. Swain also played big but did miss an easy opportunity that would have give X a bit of cushion.

Green had a nice 3 but his foul at the other end was completely unnecessary as it had no impact on the play and the ball was bouncing to X which eventually resulted in 3 FTs for Nova.

Refs almost botched the game on the out of bounds call before the TV timeout. There should be a mandatory review of any questionable calls that take place before TV timeouts. Xavier wasn't even close to the ball on that play. Reviewing the call would not have created any delay given the automatic timeout.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:48 pm

Hopefully the team got the poor shooting out of their system as they will have to execute much better against Creighton.

Normally I'd give a person props for rebounding and assists when putting up the numbers Claude did but I can't look past the wasted possessions. I have never attacked the rim going up for a dunk. The probability of it working out favorably is extremely low. Claude shooting 3s has a slightly higher probability but is similarly foolish. I suspect he will eventually be a good shooter but he is not there yet and he is hurting the team when he takes those shots.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 pm

highlights https://twitter.com/i/status/1755416144675057940

if you want to see the final nova possession from a different angle https://twitter.com/i/status/1755414277291213147
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:28 am

Are you not entertained??? I will have to sleep on this one tonight and may have more thoughts. But for now- only one: There is no way in hell we make it to 10 wins at this juncture, much less 13, without Coach Miller…..
This group, I mean, only 1or 2 that can shoot it from beyond 8 feet. Post play is poor to sporadic at best. Role players are all true Freshman. Give me a break. You are a b-ball god Mr. Miller.
Going to go to bed now beaming with joy. Hoping this victory was not something I dreamed.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:47 am

Nova got the kind of game they wanted and we were still able to beat them.Great defensive effort.Hard to believe that they didn't even get a shot off at the end.Swain made a lot of great plays.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:49 am

Players' press conference https://youtu.be/xkO2YOPSj3Y stay till the end and get the Big O's questions to the press

Sean Miler's press conference https://youtu.be/l71R0qnbidA
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:25 pm

horrible scoring game by both teams. The over for the game was in the 140s and both teams did not reach 110 together. did not bet on this game so does not matter to me ....but it shows how bad both teams scored. Just kept throwing up 3s when they were not hitting 3s. At least X won which was great and makes X a bubble team for the present.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”