Miller

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
pdxmuskie

Re: Miller

Postby pdxmuskie » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm

Skip, correlation does not equal causation. Mack was a very good recruiter which would result in a lot of wins even if he was a bad coach. If you think back to the seasons Mack was here, there was plenty disappointment in his results. He tended to underperform. Had some great players that made things fun but defense was porous and shot selection suspect. Many players didn't develop but some excelled.

Completely understand not all will realize their potential but great coaches develop a high percentage of their players. They make in game adjustments as needed. They tend to execute on both ends of the floor and have control over their players.

Hopefully Miller returns for many, many more seasons. He was my favorite coach at X though I don't love the defensive execution in comparison to his first tenure. Guessing recruiting is more difficult when focused on defense but coaching up on that end should be doable with the right approach. Tough situation starting fresh after a strong prior season. X has some nice pieces, hopefully we retain the key talent and fill in the holes. Guard replacement will be difficult as McKnight and Olivari were both legit.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:45 pm

pdxmuskie wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm
Skip, correlation does not equal causation. Mack was a very good recruiter which would result in a lot of wins even if he was a bad coach. If you think back to the seasons Mack was here, there was plenty disappointment in his results. He tended to underperform. Had some great players that made things fun but defense was porous and shot selection suspect. Many players didn't develop but some excelled.

Completely understand not all will realize their potential but great coaches develop a high percentage of their players. They make in game adjustments as needed. They tend to execute on both ends of the floor and have control over their players.

Hopefully Miller returns for many, many more seasons. He was my favorite coach at X though I don't love the defensive execution in comparison to his first tenure. Guessing recruiting is more difficult when focused on defense but coaching up on that end should be doable with the right approach. Tough situation starting fresh after a strong prior season. X has some nice pieces, hopefully we retain the key talent and fill in the holes. Guard replacement will be difficult as McKnight and Olivari were both legit.
It's just a guess here, but Miller was in a league the first time that he could look for good Defensive players with some offense who would be rated 3 stars. Very few 3 stars start in BE, and the great D and O players everyone wants are normally 5 stars. X doesn't get 5 stars yet. Duke, UK, UConn, Zona, and others are their landing places, and now, with NIL, the big school budgets can get most of the people they want. Granted, we expect a coach like Sean to coach up players, but this year, too many needed that. You are starting to see improvement with players like Laz.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm

Laz wasn't quite ready this year but he will be good.

Hopefully Miller can find a way to teach and inspire good defense. So many games where X allowed teams to attack the rim play after play or give up wide open 3s. There are some teams that are great at ball movement and have enough shooters that it is tough to always be on the shooter but that was not the case in most games. X just didn't get after it consistently on defense. Players were often not in position to guard their own guy let alone rotate to help a teammate. When help did happen, there was no one to help on that players' guy.

If defense continues to be a struggle, Sean is going to have to consider either going after some lock down defenders in the portal to help create a culture or skip the portal and focus on recruiting freshmen to mold into 2 way players. This may result in a down year or 2 but would be worth it if it fixes the culture and gets X back to making deep runs in the tournament.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”