Georgetown thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: Georgetown thread

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:35 pm

Claude is on fire. He's fouling out the whole GEORGETOWN TEAM.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:58 pm

Dang we scored 61 points in the second half. Claude was unreal. Nzeh with 13 points and Nemeiksa with 11 points were crucial. Georgetown is not good but what a great comeback. The victory beer will taste a lot better. Go X
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:00 pm

Ugly but I will take the W. GreAt game from my fellow Nutmeger .Good night and amen.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:56 pm

GT are what we thought they were. Play like they could beat anyone but falters at the end. They hit their average of three pointers but could not sustain as their sphincter tightened when the game tightened. They tried a couple threes once it was tied and when X went up which was terrible for them when they had so much success driving the ball. Des only took one three but realized they could not stop his drive and he help get GT in foul trouble big time. Happy for win but the Butler game in the barn is up next.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:06 pm

Never in doubt. Not sure what tool Miller so long to play Nzeh. He and and Gytis 24 points huge and obviously Claude. Abu was a mess.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:11 pm

Skyhops I agree about Nzeh. He has some life in his legs and is our only big who can jump. Doesn't seem timid and gives very good effort. I think he has a good future. I think for Green to get any extended playing time he is going to have to learn how to play defense. At his size he needs to be right up tight and low on his man and disrupt their dribbling. Every team goes right at him. Claude was at his attacking best last night and he didn't hesitate on his drives. It helps that Georgetown doesn't have a 7 foot shot blocker under the basket like Kalkbrenner or Clingan. Against U Conn and Creighton Claude is 24 for 69 from the field. I hope Claude stays 4 years and learns from his buddy Coby Jones. You have to be able to shoot to play any minutes in the NBA. Jones should have stayed another year to work on his shot. Similar size and game except Jones was much a better defender and rebounder and Claude is a better score. Hope Claude saved some of those drives for Butler. We really need the Butler game to extend our 27 year winning game streak. Go X
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:50 pm

Heard Swain might have had a ruptured appendix?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:32 pm

Kudos to Des for having the best game of his career, on the heels of his worst. Biggest difference? He took exactly four shots out of the lane, going 2 for 4. Of those 4, he made 2 short corner jumpers, missed an 8-foot running bank shot, and a step back three. Best shot selection of his career. Someone on this board (Mod perhaps?) pointed out that this was the formula for his success, but I can’t remember who it was. Des was 13-20 overall, and 10-13 from the line, despite playing with very little rest and having a bum ankle. Amazing what happens when you play to your core strengths.

Cooley even threw the kitchen sink: Defended him with different guys, played some zone, and then finally resorted to double-teaming him in the last stretch. Credit Miller for designing different ways to get the ball to Des on either elbow, where he glided to the hoop, aided by great screens set by the post guys. Also, after unsteady defensive play in the first 15 minutes, he picked it up, playing more physically against GTown’s guards. Oh, going off on a slight tangent, for those who criticized the best defensive player, and future NBA-er (assuming he develops a consistent jumper), Swain, for playing ‘poor defense,’ he played a whole ten minutes. Epps, one of the top 5 scorers in the league did beat him on a driving lab, but Swain wasn’t in for most of the offensive onslaught, like the other 8 three-pointers and open jumpers in the lane. But I digress.

Also, to jump on the board’s flavor of the week in Nzeh, calm down. Let’s evaluate. Every score he has had has been an alley-oop or stick-back lab. He does not have an offensive game outside of four feet, and his post-D isn’t great, but he is undersized and still learning, in the best conference in America. I love his energy, rebounding, and how he runs the floor, but he is still very raw. I’m sure the pitchforks will come out when he starts missing mid-range jumpers. I like him in spurts, as Miller has been playing him, but Djoko is the best defensive player and shot blocker in the post.

It was great seeing Nemiska have his 1st productive game in 2 months, but boy did he come through big. He has his customary manhandled defensive rebound which he does with one fumble a game. He also has a great offensive board and stickup for an And 1, at a very critical time, along with hitting two free throws late in the game.

Abou was his usual hacking self. I never have seen a guy who shows great disbelief after every foul. He fouls so hard, that many should count as 2. His problem is that when his guy shoots, he usually advances two feet towards the shooter pushing him back and giving him no place to land. However, he did have the pass of the night, with a crowded, in-lane bouncer to Nemeiksa when doubled teamed with about five to play.

I don’t love all of Miller’s lineups (he had Nzeh, Swain, and Abou in at the same time down 10 or so), and his quick hook with Green and Djoko, but he has done a great coaching job this year, all things considered. As Jon Rothstein accurately tweeted,” Add Freemantle and Hunter, and X is a top 20 team,” However, we don’t make excuses at X.

When a team across town lost their center, you know, the one who had a player take his SAT for him, they cried then and even to this day that it cost them a national title. They lost to an 8 seed in the 1st round?!?! Even without the two best players this year, X led Houston with five to go and was within three against the best team in the country in UConn (and it ain't even close) when Claude mistakenly tried to dunk over a guy three feet taller than him in Clingham. Oh well, excuses are not heard on Victory Pkwy. That's the narrative of a delusional fanbase and bloated, drunken, felonious coach who turned a university we all subsidize into Fulton County Prison U. Thank God for Nancy Zimpher. Just wanted to end this on a positive note.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”