Butler game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: Butler game thread

Postby Kevin Reilly » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:47 pm

Ugly game. We are shooting 26%. No legs.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:53 pm

Olivari is 16-57 over the last 4 games if you take out the DePaul game. He looks tired to me. Butler hasn't scored in the second half. LOL
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:10 pm

So sloppy with the ball. C’mon Dez
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:00 pm

Butler played better D Image
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:45 am

15 turnovers

5 assts

that's the game right there.

just awful.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:12 pm

Good point. I said the same thing especially regarding the amount of assists no team can win that way, not to mention Butler going on a 17-0 early in the game. How we lost a game against an average team that goes almost 11 mins without a bucket is unreal. Miller must not get must respect because these technicals are crazy and they really change the tone of the game.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:30 pm

Sean pretty much said the same in his post game comments - the early run, lack of assists, turnovers. game set match.
Only two games (if we fall in the first game of the BE - likely play Butler again) left in this season thankfully. Remember that Sean followed Thad at Xavier. They are close friends, but also they have a good read on each other. Thus the split (so far) this year.

Sean also said we have run out of players (referring to Swain going down). We simply get no respect inside and deserve none. Thus shut down the Big Three (should i say the ONLY three) and we are done. Every team is doing it (other than GT and DePaul). Move along to the offseason and retool. Certainly we cannot have another injury onset next year.

A final note, I love Trey Green, but unfortunately i think he is a one trick pony and that trick doesn't always work either - he is streaky. But he is also a total liability on Defense. He simply is too small, IMO, for the Big East. Every team posts him up immediately when he goes into the game. Great kid, great attiutude, but not sure he can even put enough on that body to make a go of it. He is no Posh Alexander.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:23 pm

Another good post. My buddy texted me after the game that he doesn't think Green can be a legit PG in the BE based on his size and lack of D. He is really similar to KyKy in that way. It will be difficult to start Geen, Davion, and Des and not get pushed around. Another concern is how we have swung and missed especially on shooters the last few years. You have to get a starter or contributor out of Green, Cam, or Ducharme. I've seen Powell play and he will take some time to develop. Sean needs to stop complaining about injuries at these. Cam, Ducharme and Bob Nugent have not made a difference in this team. I liked what I saw from Lazar at the end.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:09 pm

Laz was one bright spot, although it was so limited. I hope they can keep him and, over the summer, build his body from a pillow into a rock. I think he needs a good big with him, and KN just might be the guy, but Sean should tell the recruiters he needs a scorer like Souley/Quincy, a PG like TU/Hawkins, and a couple of bigs like Nunge/Jones. These 6'11 and 10" guys that wind up being 2-3 inches short and slight of build should be a thing of the past.

We need to return to PFU and point guards who cut the heart out of opponents. BTW I think McKnight is that kind of guy, but you need two or three assassins in the BE.

Sean said we are looking for 3-4 new guys next year. Powell can't be a guy that will take 2-3 years to maybe be serviceable
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:36 am

muskieman wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:09 pm
Laz was one bright spot, although it was so limited. I hope they can keep him and, over the summer, build his body from a pillow into a rock. I think he needs a good big with him, and KN just might be the guy, but Sean should tell the recruiters he needs a scorer like Souley/Quincy, a PG like TU/Hawkins, and a couple of bigs like Nunge/Jones. These 6'11 and 10" guys that wind up being 2-3 inches short and slight of build should be a thing of the past.

We need to return to PFU and point guards who cut the heart out of opponents. BTW I think McKnight is that kind of guy, but you need two or three assassins in the BE.

Sean said we are looking for 3-4 new guys next year. Powell can't be a guy that will take 2-3 years to maybe be serviceable
here's where i will disagree and it's pretty much why Laz DOESN'T get minutes:

2 plays and i wish i had the clips:

1. gets ball underneath the basket and tries to take it up for what should be an easy finish and just gets STRIPPED/TAKEN.

2. not sure who was bringing down the court for Butler in the 2nd half and i wish i had this clip, but he is standing in the lane and sees this guy coming the entire time and basically "olay's" him to the basket and allows a layup - no contest. no jumping vertically to try and block it. no sliding in to at least try to take a charge. he had time to do ANY of those things. when i watched that play live i literally yelled at the TV "That's why you don't play you piece of S%$&!"

pardon the language but those two plays are the epitome of why Laz isn't playing or even getting opportunities before this game.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”