Marquette game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: Marquette game thread

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:53 pm

We need to keep moving on offense and not waiting for Olivari to win the game by himself. He needs some help.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:20 pm

28% three-point shooter turned the game Foul shots made won it for MU X had the win but couldn't hold it. The losing season is assured unless they win two in the BE Tourney
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:28 pm

Almost. Good effort. Djokovic played well. Ran out of steam at the end. Claude had no legs. Olivari was great.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:42 pm

I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:55 am

I can’t remember the last time a high major, near elite program (Top 15 in total wins in the NCAA since 1985) was dealt with crushing injuries before the start of the year, especially after losing so much. The wo leading players from the previous year, their best shooter on paper (Craft), and highly touted int’l player Djoko, who was excelling in the preseason until an injury sidelined him for weeks, so he was behind the 8 ball, were lost 8 weeks before the start. SM did make one of the very few but critical mistakes of the year by hindering his development, deferring playing time to far inferior talented players like Abou and Ciani. So, he entered the season with one player from last year, who avg about 5 points and 14 min a game (from memory).

Despite that, SM took a team with mid-major talent who was actually a bubble team until the last six games. This, while playing in the best league in the country, a top 5 SOS, including playing the top 3 seed teams in the upcoming NCAA Tourney 4 times, and the 5th best team in the county in Marquette 2x, whom they were leading in the last few minutes yesterday. They lost to UConn, by far the best team in the country by 5 and had the ball down 3 in the last minute at Cintas. They then played them very tough at Storrs, but UConn squeaked out a win. They played well at Purdue, losing by 4 possessions. They had a lead against Hou under six minutes and lost by 6 or 7.

If Miller leaves, I will hold zero animosity. All of this pearl-clutching is from many people I assume have left jobs despite being treated very well, for the betterment of their own families. Oh, the horror! Family, first, company and goomah 2nd. SM leads a team in a changing landscape that makes it hard for small, private, elite, academic schools whose alumni base is very low relatively speaking due to the latter. We are not afforded the same luxury of having 50k students annually, since the only requirement for admission with many is owning a clean bowling shirt and not having a manslaughter charge in the previous 3 months before admission, no disrespect to UC personally.

SM is an elite coach. Every school with an opening will have him on their shortlist. OSU will. Michigan will when that job opens up. Same for Indy. Would you rather have that, or SM’s predecessor, who drew interest from no one in his four-year tenure. I do want to make it clear that I really appreciate Steele’s efforts and wish him the best of luck. Tireless, passionate worker. He just didn’t have the chops, like half of this year’s team doesn’t. However, as a Mod, I have to remain objective.

If he leaves, I’ll root for him wherever he goes and hope the vacated seat is filled by the most successful coach in the history of X Bball, ya know, one of the top 15 programs in the past four decades.
Last edited by Anti-Homer on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:57 am

Djoko in particular, and Green should have played a lot more this year. Period. Mistake by Sean. Learn, and don't repeat it next year.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:44 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:56 pm
NO. 8/9 MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY GOLDEN EAGLES (22-8, 13-6 BIG EAST)
SATURDAY, MARCH 9, 2024 AT 5:00 P.M. ET
CINTAS CENTER IN CINCINNATI, OHIO

Television: FOX National, including FOX 19 in Cincinnati, with play-by-play from Jason Benetti and analysis from Robbie Hummel.
Xavier Radio: 55KRC-AM also on the Varsity Network and SXM.

As this hot mess of a season regular season comes to an end, it is time for fans to say goodbye to Quincy and some managers. I feel for Quincy because he came to X. After all, we usually are an NCAA team(except for the dry years), and coming off a tremendous first season for Sean, the expectations were high until the loss of Zach and the Rome. Big questions were the loss of Jack, but incoming guys, along with Zach and Rome, we all felt Sean would bring in the needed tools to repeat. Then, with the loss of Zach and Rome, Sean pulled in some international players we thought might still make the season.

The last thing I remember was Sean saying they would be pulling in four new players next year, so rumors are flying about Laz and Gytis being gone to Des seeking a new venture. What will happen to the red-shirted guys? Will Sean talk them into another year, or will we see a massive rebuild around two players who might make it back from injury, along with Swain and McKnight? We certainly have a lot to talk about over the summer, but first, let's do the unthinkable for the second time in X history and, this time, make history in MSG and knock everyone off. We deserve it in my book. Yeah, I think big, but I ask myself, why not us?

Mman,

Just saw your ominous statement about Des. I assume you mean teams are offering him NIL dollars. It certainly ain't the NBA, not with his lack of a jumper outsie of eight feet. I hope he stays, but it's the Wild, Wild, West. I assume teams will come after him, Swain, and Green too. Smart ones would also come after Djoko. I think Abou is safe. Just a hunch. Despite being at a great disadvantage, Miller will be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat again, if Claude and others do leave. From my understanding as a non-insider, X has a solid NIL budget but needs more. X has been successful as one of the few teams who didn't participate in the non-sanctioned NIL which has been going on for decades (look at a school 3.4 miles away for reference) and still excelled. Perhaps fat cats like Mman can sell one of his seven Hampton beach houses to add to the till.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:03 pm

Anti-Homer I agree with everything you said about the cards that were dealt to Miller. In a nutshell we didn't have enough talent especially in the front court. Miller is and has been Xavier's best coach. If he leaves I for one will be very disappointed. He can coach and coach at a very high level. I have to disagree about Djokovic and Green though. Djokov has talent... everyone can see that but he wasn't ready mentally or physically to play early in the season .He really struggled. Green is lightning fast but needs screens to get open shots. He also is tiny with zero idea how to play defense. They both have potential but in the Big East you need to earn your playing time .Neither one deserved any more time than they got. I hope they work hard and get more playing time next year but they both have a long way to go to justify increased roles next year.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:20 am

Kevin, always enjoy your posts however Lazar has the most talent and potential among the bigs that played this year by far. Even Miller said before the season that he was the second best player in practice on a few occasions. He needs a productive offseason. He was gassed on Saturday but there limited options since Abu decided to continue his 10 year old behavior and rip his jersey during the game and Nzeh was not ready. Swain, Green, Claude, and Lazar will all be sought after. Miller should have had Green in more last five minutes for offense because Claude is not a closer and other guards were tired. I don't have a good feeling about Green staying. Miller talks about getting talent, but he swung and missed on Craft, Ducharme, Ciani (didnt have much choice), etc. Miller is my man, but he didn't have a good last 10 games as a coach and leader.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:19 am

Nice effort but eventually the lack of talent just becomes too much to overcome.I thought Lazer played well.I think he has potential.If Abou is your starting big, you probably aren't very good. Feel bad that Quincy had such a great year but won't get to play in the tournament. First losing season in 29 years.Hopefully we get back to Xavier basketball next year.5 years out of 6 missing March Madness is really depressing.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”