Marquette game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Marquette game thread

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:56 pm

NO. 8/9 MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY GOLDEN EAGLES (22-8, 13-6 BIG EAST)
SATURDAY, MARCH 9, 2024 AT 5:00 P.M. ET
CINTAS CENTER IN CINCINNATI, OHIO

Television: FOX National, including FOX 19 in Cincinnati, with play-by-play from Jason Benetti and analysis from Robbie Hummel.
Xavier Radio: 55KRC-AM also on the Varsity Network and SXM.

As this hot mess of a season regular season comes to an end, it is time for fans to say goodbye to Quincy and some managers. I feel for Quincy because he came to X. After all, we usually are an NCAA team(except for the dry years), and coming off a tremendous first season for Sean, the expectations were high until the loss of Zach and the Rome. Big questions were the loss of Jack, but incoming guys, along with Zach and Rome, we all felt Sean would bring in the needed tools to repeat. Then, with the loss of Zach and Rome, Sean pulled in some international players we thought might still make the season.

The last thing I remember was Sean saying they would be pulling in four new players next year, so rumors are flying about Laz and Gytis being gone to Des seeking a new venture. What will happen to the red-shirted guys? Will Sean talk them into another year, or will we see a massive rebuild around two players who might make it back from injury, along with Swain and McKnight? We certainly have a lot to talk about over the summer, but first, let's do the unthinkable for the second time in X history and, this time, make history in MSG and knock everyone off. We deserve it in my book. Yeah, I think big, but I ask myself, why not us?

I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Jesseandrippers

Re: Marquette game thread

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:34 am

To me, this is about avoiding the first X losing season since 95-96, their first year in the A10 and just the second since the 81-82 season.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:19 pm

XU 3 pt dogs. today. I am surprised I thought it would be more. Yes it has been a weird and disappointing season but we have endured a lot of challenges. Avoiding a losing record for the season and making a good run at MSG would take some of the sting away. A couple of random thoughts. I know a lot of you guys like Green but I am not a fan. I saw him play 4-5 times in HS and he was the same there. Too small and rushes his shots in games and not strong enough to defend Big East guards. His shots drop in practice but not consistently in games. If Sean comes back I believe Des will also. Although the both of the them will tempted by money to leave. I really think Sean owes Xavier something besides two years. If the Euro leave no loss. If they do leave I would think it would be to a lower level based on their performances this year. I still have hope for Lazar but for the life of me I do not why. He has shown very little progress. In summary we have a lot of holes to fill. If Sean leaves and I believe he will the new coach will be left with a major rebuild job. Olivari gave us a lot of good moments and I agree with MM I wish he got a chance to play in the big dance. My Xavier MVP for 2024 is a toss up between Des and Mcknight. One last thing isn't it strange to think we beat St. Marys, Providence, Seton Hall. Villanova & St. Johnś all teams with potential NCAA bids. Played Houston and Purdue tough but it was those 2 at home loses to Delaware and Oakland that killed us. GO X!!! I still love ya.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:00 pm

I am starting to to get nervous about Miller. I listened to the people on the board who know a lot more about the coaching situation than me and I relaxed. When Muskieman shows some concern than I do. We need a major influx of talent. I think at least three bigs and a couple guards too. Maybe three guards if Claude leaves. I have NO inside information but if I had to guess Djokovic, Ducharme and Craft will leave. I don't believe Hunter or Freemantle will be back either. If Miller leaves I wouldn't be surprised if Green, Ciani and Nemeiksa and Claude leave. Better light some candles guys. Not sure if it works but who knows? Love Muskieman's positive outlook on the Big East tournament. Wish I had that kind of hope. I heard Miller say that the turnovers and only 5 assists were the reason we lost to Butler. We were terrible across the board. Defense , offense , heart, effort you name it. I would be shocked if we win another game this year. Hope I am wrong but it seems like we have kind of lost our way. Heck early in the season we played Houston and Purdue pretty close.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:15 pm

Interestingly, slick Rick drove a bus all over his team, and they responded with a five-game-win streak and an NCAA bid in sight. Providence loses a key player during the season in Hopskin and, with a new coach, is set to be an NCAA player, even though it would be an 11th seed.

Marquette lost their playmaker, Koleck, and then lost to Uconn, but only by 7 points, and was with them till the end (MU outscored UConn in the second half).

Xavier can win games, and it can against #8 Marquette, but the margin of error has grown slimmer as the season has gone on. Even when physically outmatched, X has been in most games like Houston.

In less than an hour, the guys have a chance to prove that their fight is not gone by beating Marquette and heading into the tourney on a good note. I am casting the heart of Cole into Abou, the spirit of Duncan and Dolleman into our international players, and the desire and intensity of Burrell into Des and QO. Quincey, I am sorry the prospects of the NCAA are not looking good, but X has won a conference tourney in the past to make it to the dance, so don't give up hope.

JUST BEAT Marquette today and get her done in MSG
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:36 pm

What is with Xavier selling tickets in the student section to Marquette fans?
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:37 pm

The tempo is bothering Marquette so far. Hope we can keep it up. Six turnovers already. Need some bench help. Glad to see some early subs.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:49 pm

Olivari besides his two threes is having a tough all around game. We don't track long rebounds well at all. Since we have trouble guarding Jones a little zone would be nice.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:21 pm

Olivari is shutting me up. LOL. Need him to stay aggressive.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:50 pm

OSO having a career night. What else is knew a big guy from the other team having a big night

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”