BE tourney thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: BE tourney thread

Postby Kevin Reilly » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:15 pm

Didn't see the game so I am going off the box score. Claude, McKnight and Olivari played 115 minutes out of 120 minutes and scored 65 of our 76 points. Hope they have some energy left for U Conn. Djokovic played 33 minutes and scored two points. That's hard to do. Muskieman said he played well and I'll take his word for it. Good lord we need some front court help. It would make national news if we beat U Conn. Anyone know if we could get invited to the N.I.T.. Well congrats to the team for winning at Madison Square Garden. A lot of eyes will be on tomorrow's game. Hoping for some Miller magic.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:42 pm

A tear ran down my cheek as I saw the best big by far on X play a very good 33 minutes. Wasted season. Hopefully, he stays another year, though odds are against it. Ousame missed 4-5 labs and fumbled two other passes at the rim. He also committed his standard three fouls, laughing sarcastically after murdering the guy he was guarding, and almost got a T. Again. I was tired of his game/immaturity by game 6, and unfortunately, it hasn't improved.

Djoko is very athletic, plays very solid D, challenges shots at the rim, and runs the floor. He doesn't finish well, but he was never given the chance to get over the yips like Claude was afforded last year. Miller was very confident he would be a big contributor, but after not scoring 10ppg in the 6 minutes of action he got early in the season in 2-3 games, he was relegated to the bench. Not really sure how Miller can play a guy in 2-minute spurts during the year, and extended minutes in the last two games. What was Miller's epiphany? His mismanagement of Djoko, and to a lesser extent, Green, are two of the very few missteps Miller had this year. Hopefully, both give him the chance for redemption next year.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:10 am

I also want to add that last year, Kyky played well the first seven games or so, then played a few minutes a game for the rest of the year. He also led Conf USA in scoring as a 1st Team All League Player. Ya know, the same league where Boum and Olivari came from. Ironically, his 39% 3-point percentage this year was better than Boum's and Olivari the years before they came to X, and if you think Kyky and Green's D was bad, they sure as hell weren't any worse than Boum's. Ya think X could use Kyky's efficient scoring this year?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:52 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:42 pm
A tear ran down my cheek as I saw the best big by far on X play a very good 33 minutes. Wasted season. Hopefully, he stays another year, though odds are against it. Ousame missed 4-5 labs and fumbled two other passes at the rim. He also committed his standard three fouls, laughing sarcastically after murdering the guy he was guarding, and almost got a T. Again. I was tired of his game/immaturity by game 6, and unfortunately, it hasn't improved.

Djoko is very athletic, plays very solid D, challenges shots at the rim, and runs the floor. He doesn't finish well, but he was never given the chance to get over the yips like Claude was afforded last year. Miller was very confident he would be a big contributor, but after not scoring 10ppg in the 6 minutes of action he got early in the season in 2-3 games, he was relegated to the bench. Not really sure how Miller can play a guy in 2-minute spurts during the year, and extended minutes in the last two games. What was Miller's epiphany? His mismanagement of Djoko, and to a lesser extent, Green, are two of the very few missteps Miller had this year. Hopefully, both give him the chance for redemption next year.
Laz said after the game that he had been working with the coaches on his game after not being satisfied with how he played early in the season. I give him props for admitting that his lack of playing time was partly due to his hard work and that he was now contributing. I hope the lack of tape on Laz helps him in the BE tourney. As for lack of inside scoring, when your three-headed monster is working in the game, you don't stop it, so a Centter or PF can get points when what we want from them is rebounds and blocks. You feed the monster and hope it is enough.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:13 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:42 pm

these two things just aren't true and haven't been all year. those, coupled with being as weak with the ball around the rim as my 4th grade son, is why he hasn't played much. it's that simple. one "good" game doesn't erase all that.

here's my other post about Lazar from last week as well. from March 8 so had to be about the Butler game. still holds true.

here's where i will disagree and it's pretty much why Laz DOESN'T get minutes:

2 plays and i wish i had the clips:

1. gets ball underneath the basket and tries to take it up for what should be an easy finish and just gets STRIPPED/TAKEN.

2. not sure who was bringing down the court for Butler in the 2nd half and i wish i had this clip, but he is standing in the lane and sees this guy coming the entire time and basically "olay's" him to the basket and allows a layup - no contest. no jumping vertically to try and block it. no sliding in to at least try to take a charge. he had time to do ANY of those things. when i watched that play live i literally yelled at the TV "That's why you don't play you piece of S%$&!"

pardon the language but those two plays are the epitome of why Laz isn't playing or even getting opportunities before this game.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:33 am

Just a note Today is UConn at 12 on FS1. 700 WLW
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:58 pm

I'd rather X be up one at half, but I didn't expect X to be in the game, so I am calling it a win. Now win the second half by 2 and I will smile again.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:55 pm

UConn 17 out of 19 in the second half, with 3:30 to go. That will win you most games.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:04 pm

olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:52 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:55 pm
UConn 17 out of 19 in the second half, with 3:30 to go. That will win you most games.
They didn’t miss for about ten minutes of clock time. We were gassed and frankly ourbDbin the second half looked like the Washington Generals
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”