BE tourney thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: BE tourney thread

Postby Kevin Reilly » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:05 pm

Anti- homer. I am not feeling the Djokovic love. In the last two games he got a lot of time (68 minutes ) He scored 8 points, had 11 rebounds and had 5 assists. Pretty below average production. Compared to Ousmane he acts like a basketball player but to me he is definitely a project. I don't see him as a rim protector at this time. Most players make their biggest jump their second season but i hope he is coming off the bench next year. I think Green got a fair shot but wasn't ready.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:45 pm

KR,

I understand your perspective, but we clearly just have a different philosophy on how we evaluate players. Djoko was a highly touted int’l player and apparently was starting to garner a lot of interest from the high majors (I heard UCLA & and Wisky to name a couple) when signed by X. That doesn’t mean his skillset will automatically translate to USA college basketball, but he apparently was “the 2nd best player on the team,” in preseason, according to Miller, before he got injured. That includes being one of the best three-point shooters.

KR, what caused the epiphany with SM during the most crucial time of the year? Before Marquette, he averaged 11 min per game or so, usually in junk time. In the most critical and most difficult three game stretch (MQuette > Butler > UConn), it jumped to about 33 min. He was unpolished offensively because he just never got a chance to get into rhythm, in the 180-second stints he usually got, but I think he clearly has shown spurts of offensive prowess. Ironically, his two best were against Washington, in his first game back, and against MQuette, where he went 3-3.

His injury, and Miller’s mismanagement of him, in my view, wasted his season. I just hope he doesn’t seek other options, which was a foregone conclusion six weeks ago. He was clearly the best overall defender of the post players, though Abou was the best low-post defender. Contrary to your belief, I also thought djoko was a good ‘rim protector,’ and changed his fair share of shots. The difference was Djoko’s ability to guard in space without fouling, including smaller, quicker players on switches. Abou couldn’t do that. Nemieksa and Ciani had trouble staying in front of tackling dummies in practice. Djoko can play. He is one of the five or so I hope comes back in 2024-5, but my guess is 1 to 3 of my desired eligibles (McKnight, Claude, Swain, Djoko, Green) will leave. I hope I’m wrong.

Green wasn’t ready, but clearly has offensive talent. He is an elite shooter, though his numbers didn’t support it. He was elite at the highest level in high school, and Miller said he was elite in practice. There are many reasons it didn’t translate in college ball, including his 2-18 start from 3, shot selection, and Miller’s very short leash. He was given more of a chance than Djoko (though not much more), but again, he could hit three in a row, and miss a defensive assignment, which he often did, and get pulled.

No one is ever going to develop without having the chance to work through deficiencies. Claude is definitely much better this year, because he got the chance to work through his deficiencies last year (7 more min a game as a freshman than Green got), most notably shooting and T.O.s. Also, he was just a luxury whereas Green had a specific critical need: to score. We knew Claude would improve, but certainly not to the extent that he did. He still is too turnover-prone, and a horrendous, 3-point shooter. In fact, his comfortable range is only 8 feet and in. Extend that out to 17 feet, and he’s a pro.

I liken Green right now to a very decent pg X had a decade ago: Dee Davis. Neither were great athletes, both were vertically challenged and had slight builds. Green, however, has a much higher upside. He has to get stronger and work on his technique and quickness. No coach in America is more capable than Sean Miller. Again, I hope he stays.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:06 pm

Anti-Homer ... All good points and a fair assessment. Djokovic is way more mobile than Ousmane and Ciani. But that is not saying much. Djokovic looks a lot more athletic and has a decent shooting stroke. I agree you have to be given a chance to play thru mistakes but you also have to at least hold your own to earn the right to freshman mistakes. Green can obviously shoot but he was unable to guard at all . Miller knows they have talent but he was fighting to win every game. I hope they come back but I would be surprised if they both do.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:25 am

Lazar has the most potential to compete in the Big East, which is why Miller should have given him Ciani's and some of Abu's minutes especially after labeling him the second best player. Hopefully he sticks around since their will be a few key players that will leave. I don't have much hope for Claude sticking around since he will get his bag going to a bigger school. Although he is small Green is one we need to keep as well. I don't mind keeping Abu as a backup as long as Free and Hunter play. Glad to see us play another game.
pdxmuskie

Postby pdxmuskie » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm

KR and AH are both correct. Lazar has upside and was the most talented big but he was also disappointing. Some of that is because he didn't get the chance to develop early and some is simply because he is a freshman playing in a different country and adapting is a process. He is a rim protector but not fully developed on that front. Guessing it also didn't help that Free and Hunter couldn't teach him in practice what it will be like going against talented bigs. Free on offense and Hunter as a big athletic presence.

I didn't realize Claude might leave. That would be painful. Also didn't know McKnight has another year of eligibility. Keeping both, Green, Swain and Lazar and getting Hunter and/or Free back would be a nice core.

Claude should not leave for money. He should leave if he believes the program he is going to will be more effective at developing his outside shot. I can't say I was surprised by his improvement from Freshman year. I was more surprised by his lack of development in his outside shot. It was obvious last year he was going to be very good. If he develops a respectable shot from outside, he will be unstoppable.

Green is going to have a much bigger opportunity with Olivari gone. If McKnight stays, he will be playing backup point but also SG. He will get plenty of minutes as long as he lets the game come to him.

I expect a big jump from Swain. He is going to be the guy everyone wants on their team. I don't expect big points but an ability to take advantage of opportunities as well as score when the team needs it. He will rebound, block shots, steal and making scoring difficult for the other team. These are the guys that generate wins. X didn't get to realize it this year, mostly because they had too many non scorers but partly because Swain has some growth to do.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:25 am

You don't think Claude should leave for getting up to 500k to play college? I would tell my kid to leave in a heartbeat for that kind of money especially considering there is not telling whether you will ever make that kind of money again. Colby has barley played in the NBA this year and has a much better shot than Claude and a better all around game. It is frustrating that this is happening due to NIL and this will make it more important than ever to not swing and miss on recruiting and selecting players like we have recently.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:00 pm

Skyhops if some team would give Claude 500,000 they are crazy. He is half the player Jones was and he is lazy on defense and can't shoot. He better be careful. If he goes to a good team he won't get away with it . He has a NBA body and can overpower a lot of guards but he has slow feet. no three point shot and makes a lot of poor plays. I wish him well if he goes but I am tired of his lazy defense. I don't see him playing that badly and playing on a top 20 team and not finding himself on the bench.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:16 pm

Olivari is pressing and Claude is dribbling too much . Not much ball movement or body movement on offense. We are making it very easy for Georgia to defend us.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 pm

Very embarrassing effort. Miller said the team wanted to play but it doesn't look like it.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:32 pm

Ousmane and Nzeh are 7-9 yet we are giving them no looks in the second half. The effort is so bad Colbert is in again. Green got in and got pulled in 10 seconds.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”