UConn Game Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

UConn Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:49 am

The winds are blowing favorably in Xavier's way. The line has moved significantly from -16 to -15 in 8 hours. The fact that X was within 3 under a minute, with the ball at Cintas, when Des tried to score over a guy a foot taller, and then lost in a nailbiter at Storrs makes this the most anticipated game in the last thirty years in the best version of the BE.

I also received a bootleg video, showing UConn players jumping up and down in the 2nd half in the hotel ballroom, when Butler took the lead. Then, when Q stole the ball with 3 seconds up 4, the silence was comparable to that seen with Michigan, when they found out that Bama, and not Washington, was their 1st opponent in the CFB playoff game.

On an unrelated note, the refs for the game today were seen being treated at Ruby Tuesday's last night with Dan Hurley and Luke Murry. I will reserve judgment on the implications until I see how they call the game today.
X-lucidity

Re: UConn Game Thread

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:15 am

Good behind the scenes insight AH. To further the cause, I bet $20 taking U-Conn on the money line to win approx $1.87
- hoping a little reverse karma action. Would gladly pay that $20 for a Muskie miracle upset.
PS. Can someone remind Abou that, just because someone passes you the ball, it is not a mandate to shoot it…
I liked his energy on D and rebounding. But good Lord, the man cannot put the ball in the basket. To have any chance at all today, need the big 3 guards to again be supermen. Plus Trey Green needs to splash at least four from deep. And the Euro’s cannot be afraid to shoot it when open. At least a time or two to keep U-Conn honest.
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play..?
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:19 am

We played UCONN kind of close at the Cintas although I do not think the final score was really ever in doubt but we got smoked in Hartford not Storrs . MM not sure what you mean by nail bitter unless it is sarcasm. Des will not be able to score all those points in the paint against Clingan. If he tries too often I think he will be eating a lot of leather. I want to like Lazar also but I agree with longskip he cannot defend the paint yet (too weak)and he cannot score either. Ok he appears to be athletic but he has a weak BBall IQ. I do agree he probably should have gotten a few more minutes this year when you consider the alternatives but he is not ready for prime time. I hope he develops but he has a long way to go. I think Sean realized that. Big men take time and you do not want to destroy the confidence level along the way. Go X!!! I hope we go to the NIT.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:38 am

Hard to imagine us beating them.It would be a huge upset but thats what March is about.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:52 am

Des cannot change his game, because he is only effective in the paint, and short corner. However, he has to be more judicious as to whom and when he challenges. It's not a bad thing to challenge Clingham or Johnson to keep them honest, but hopefully, he looks more to dump it off or passes out to someone for an open three.

I hope Miller plays more zone. Obviously, you're more susceptible to open outside shots, but their three-point shooting stats are only decent (36%), and deceiving. Spencer and Karaban shoot 40%, so I'd shade towards them, and concede threes to Newton and Castle, who are only 30% from three. Compounding the issue is none of X's guards (nor any others in the country), have shown the ability to stop Newton and Castle from getting to the hole at will, where they score, get fouled, or dish off for an assist at a high rate.

Getting back on transition is key as well, and X needs to run as much as possible because UConn's half-court D has been suffocating. Having a great shot blocker and ultra-quick, lengthy guards is a bad recipe for an X team with limited shooters. Trey Green is the X factor, if he is afforded more than 113 seconds at a time and 6 minutes total in the game.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:55 pm

Gutsy !!! Early but proud of them. I haven’t seen Clingan play this poorly all year.
XU_2011

Postby XU_2011 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:57 pm

Great half against maybe the best team in the country. Will have to make threes in the second half to stay with UConn. Hopefully there will be a repeat of the Butler game.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:35 pm

UCONN guards much to big for Green on both sides of the ball.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:45 pm

I think Olivari is gassed. He has stopped moving and looking to make a play.
connecticut72

Postby connecticut72 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:53 pm

They are too good. Just wore us down. We just do not get any easy buckets underneath. It is a shame our big guys are so bad with those 3 guards we would have made a run.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”