NIT

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
pdxmuskie

Re: NIT

Postby pdxmuskie » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:23 pm

My apologies, I apparently stopped watching 30 seconds too late. X could have won if only I stopped a bit earlier. Down 21 playing about as bad as humanly possible, I went back to work. Nice X was able to get it close as it truly was embarrassing when I called it quits.

Olivari had poor shot selection during the time I was watching. He wasn't set and rushing the action. He can make those but not the right strategy when trying to find your shot. Works ok if in the flow already knocking shots down.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Kevin Reilly wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:17 pm
With Claude you get the Good...30 points and the bad 6 turnovers including the coming up empty the last three possessions and terrible defense. Olivari had a very tough night. Great comeback but we couldn't finish.
Last play, that lower body banging gets a foul every game. Twice this year, Des was stopped at the end of a game with a block. he brought the team back, but the game before against the #1 team in the nation, X had 9 turnovers but 15 tonight because they were not ready. if we had 13, we had a chance to win. if we had 9 turnovers, we would have won comfortably
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:26 pm

Des was fouled, but everyone knew he was going to shoot. Miller had Olivari throwing in the ball and that was the play? Thats on Miller. I enjoyed the last half for Des as a Muskie.
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:13 pm

That game sums up the season... Loved Sean's last sentence in the post game interview... We'll be better next year... Now the work begins... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
gym from delhi

NIT

Postby gym from delhi » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:44 pm

FWIW, all three Big East teams lost yesterday, was the league really any good below the top three?
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:59 pm

Fair point. However, X almost won and likely should have and we had a decimasted roster. Butler absolutely blew their game. One of their guards made an unbelievably bad pass that was intercepted with 5.5 seconds left and Butler leading by one. Butler lost. Providence was ahead until the very end and they played without the BE player of the year, Devin Carter who was injured (or was he protecting himself to for the NBA draft? No support for that, just speculation,) So all three games could have been won. I do not think it is an indication of the BE.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
McX

Postby McX » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:48 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:26 pm
Des was fouled, but everyone knew he was going to shoot. Miller had Olivari throwing in the ball and that was the play? THATS ON MILLER. I enjoyed the last half for Des as a Muskie.
What's "on Miller?"
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:46 pm

The last inbounds play as well as the last few possessions. Didn't mean for that to be in all caps. Des has failed multiple times on end of the game shots, so no reason to have Q inbounds the ball and not go for the win. Oh well, good luck to Des.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:45 pm

Hope Skyhops is wrong but he usually has the inside info ( Concerning Claude ). Claude has a lot of talent but at the end of games he kind of gets timid instead of going hard to the basket. He made a huge jump from last year but needs to get the mindset of I'm going to score no matter what the defense does. He also is strong and doesn't act like he has been fouled. Needs some acting lessons. I wish he played defense like he did last year. I'm glad I'm not a NCAA basketball coach. You have to deal with N.I.L the transfer portal and keeping your own players from leaving .I have no idea what Claude could get in the portal. I have zero idea what Olivari, Mcknight and Claude get in the N.I.L. now. I do know Miller was so frustrated with the guards defense that he was playing the walk on ( Colbert) the last 5-6 games. We had a tough year and it looked to me that some players were looking out for themselves instead of playing team ball the last 6-8 games. When you watch a top team like Duke for instance the Duke players are very aggressive at the end of games driving to the basket. They know if they go hard they have a good chance of getting the call. It's a mind set. Claude seems to hesitate at the end of games and either turns it over or makes it easy on both the refs and the defending team. If he leaves we will miss him but sometimes the grass is not always greener on another team. He is developing very well at Xavier and probably won't get the same opportunity with a top 20 school.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”