Portal time and names

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XavierBob

Re: Portal time and names

Postby XavierBob » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 pm

Ryan Cromwell from Indiana St. just committed to X.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm

Welcome Ryan Conwell! Top 5 guard in the portal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyyQEh-NOeo
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pm

A friend/colleague, Purdue grad was ribbing me about X being +6000 to win the NC next year, right after I won my small wager in the UConn Purdue game. Today, it's +100. Abson is being pursued by some high major competition, but if X can bring him in, watch out.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:59 pm

Damn the coaches are on fire. Great job Coach miller and coaches. Couldn't be happier. We now have four guards who can play. McKnight, Maddox, Foster and Conwell. Not sure if Claude or Green plan on coming back. Be nice to get Abson too. The roster is night and day better than last year. Go X
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 pm

You mean two new guards that can really shoot. Claude is gone and probably Green as well. Miller did everything he could for Claude to improve and the ball at the end of the game to miss several game winning/tying shots, oh well. Claude could be in a rude awakening considering Millers offense is guard heavy and he had a lot of freedom and he was very patient considering Claude's putrid shooting at home. We really need an impact big to play defense, rebound, and protect the rim. Look for Swain to bulk up and play a vital role next year. I might have to buy a couple Chili's gift cards to a few of my sources.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:23 am

skyhops wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 pm
You mean two new guards that can really shoot. Claude is gone and probably Green as well. Miller did everything he could for Claude to improve and the ball at the end of the game to miss several game winning/tying shots, oh well. Claude could be in a rude awakening considering Millers offense is guard heavy and he had a lot of freedom and he was very patient considering Claude's putrid shooting at home. We really need an impact big to play defense, rebound, and protect the rim. Look for Swain to bulk up and play a vital role next year. I might have to buy a couple Chili's gift cards to a few of my sources.
Claude's shooting was putrid, but there were few guards in the country better in the paint. I would have loved to have him back, but the composition of the team as it stands suits Miller's offense much better, IMO. Claude had a high usage rate, and spacing was horrible with the ball in his hands because opponents knew he was only dangerous in the paint, and only had to worry about McKnight and Olivari on the perimeter since post offense was non-existent. If Free comes back healthy, he will be the biggest benefactor of his new, sharp shooting teammates. It will be hard to hedge and double team him because the defender will risk leaving a deadly three-point shooter open. Give us one of the two centers previously mentioned, and X is a Top 15 preseason team.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:42 am

I totally agree that Freemantle will be the big beneficiary with good outside shooting like (Kunkel, Boum, Nunge), but our 5 could benefit more from Freemantle being able to score. Zach has a tendency to shoot the jump hooks and other shots going away from the basket. If he is doubled or at least requires some help D, our 5 will be in the best position for offensive rebounds. Zach is no David West, but Anthony Myles, if I recall, led the league on O rebounds because West required help D. If Hughley or who ever mans the 5, has good hands and bulk, the O rebounds will be his. Deficiency from this year solved!
Thor in 204

Postby Thor in 204 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:26 pm

I'm of course hoping for the best from Free and Jerome, but I think Jerome will likely not be starting out at full strength and Zach may not be fully ready for awhile either. I can see a stronger Swain developing a mid-range game that will be able to spell Hunter, giving who's playing at the 5 an interior passing option, and for the guards another high post option around the foul line.
I don't have any insider information, but I can see Trey Green staying this year because I think he doesn't shy away from competition, he wants to learn, and that's likely a reason Sean Miller likes him. I think Geen will more likely be weighing his options a year from now, when Maddox and Foster are finished.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 am

Supposedly close to getting the big from Long Beach State. Good rebounder, defender, and rim protector.
XU'59

Postby XU'59 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 am

Hi, what's his name? Also, I'm trying to figure out how many scholarships are available and how many walk-ons?
Is it reasonable that Abou would come back if not picked?
It seems like we still have several openings, unless I don't understand the system.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”