NCAA Tournament Action

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
pdxmuskie

NCAA Tournament Action

Postby pdxmuskie » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:21 am

Not sure if anyone noticed but Oakland hit a number of contested shots in their win. Reminded me of how they played X earlier this year. Guessing they don't have the same fortune in the next round but would love to see them advance past NC St.

Grand Canyon has impressive athletes. Xavier could use a couple guys with elite athleticism. Guessing Swain is the closest we have.

Utah State employed a 1-3-1 zone and helped them stifle TCU. X should use zone a bit more liberally when man isn't getting it done. I certainly prefer man defense but the right defense is dependent on personnel as well as the opponent's style of play. Switching defense to break the other team's flow is another reason to go zone.
Xavier2005

Re: NCAA Tournament Action

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:00 am

agree in general. Defense patterns need to be mixed up during a game. When X had 2 strong big men in the old days ie Hill, Strong, A. Williams etc , X used 3 guards on top/perimeter , and 2 big men under the basket. Worked great then, This past season this was not possible because X lacked big men at center and forward that had talent/in size , scoring, and defense abilities. Cannot use man to man all the time.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:19 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:00 am
agree in general. Defense patterns need to be mixed up during a game. When X had 2 strong big men in the old days ie Hill, Strong, A. Williams etc , X used 3 guards on top/perimeter , and 2 big men under the basket. Worked great then, This past season this was not possible because X lacked big men at center and forward that had talent/in size , scoring, and defense abilities. Cannot use man to man all the time.
I remember when we had only Hill and X played in Atlanta against that year's champ in Michigan, and Hill played his heart out, but they just wore him down. It was different when we had all three players and the success was better. Nunge was great and with Zach and Rome X had the recipe if Zach had stayed healthy all season and post. Hill with his fastball outlet passes were a think to watch
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:44 am

Just watched the Creighton- Oregon double overtime win. Creighton has some exciting games. They are mentally very tough especially Scheierman. I also was impressed with Oregon. Saw both of the Oregon games .Couisnard had 72 points in two games. Both Couisnard and Scheierman are transfers. We need to get hit some home runs this off season in the transfer portal. I know Miller and his staff will get studs.
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:15 am

Altman also coached Creighton many moons ago... I'm sure he wanted to beat the Bluejays and some alums and fans took some extra joy in beating Oregon... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:40 am

Kevin Reilly wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:44 am
Just watched the Creighton- Oregon double overtime win. Creighton has some exciting games. They are mentally very tough especially Scheierman. I also was impressed with Oregon. Saw both of the Oregon games .Couisnard had 72 points in two games. Both Couisnard and Scheierman are transfers. We need to get hit some home runs this off season in the transfer portal. I know Miller and his staff will get studs.
X has done very well with traditional transfers, even before the liberal transfer portal rules implemented post-COVID, starting back to the 1st Sw 16 team with Derrick Strong. Some other prominent names at the top of my head since include: Jeff Massey, Adam Simion, Brian Thorton, Drew Lavendar, CJ Anderson, TU Holloway, J Crawford, Travis Taylor, Stainbrook, Karem Kantner, Bernard, DII center, name escapes (great get by Steele), Boum, Olivari, McKnight, and others.

If you look at most top 50 teams, they have at least two transfers in their top 7. Without looking, looking at the top programs in the BE other than X, they include: Conn – Newton, Rutgers guard. Mquette: Kolek. Creighton: Scheierman & Ashworth. Other teams: Providence’s 3 best players. SH: 3 of top 5. John’s: most of their team. Butler: 4 of top 7. And on and on and on.

I'm sure Miller would have gotten others, with greater skillsets, if he had known about the sudden loss of Free, Hunter, and even Craft. He would have been the other sharpshooter on the team. With or without Claude, who I would not pay for at the ridiculous request (if true) X is will better, even in the new Conference of Champions.
Kevin Reilly

Postby Kevin Reilly » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:40 pm

Anti- Homer We have done well with the transfers. Not sure why we only brought in one High School guy for next year but if I had to guess it would be N.I.L. money. Bringing in a Derrick Strong. Matt Stainbrook, , J Crawford , Torraye Braggs would be great.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:30 pm

I recall yesterday, midway through the second half of the Tennessee versus Texas slugfest, thinking “ oh, my God, these are real men with tremendous skill and athleticism”
I then had this horrible realization that our beloved muskies are miles away from this level.
Sean had his work cut out for him…
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:06 pm

Xavier can not afford another rebuild. Wishing and hoping we can get a new team in portal is foolish. Miller will need to do a better job developing players. FYI, Craft was gone when season started which is why he wanted redshirt to gain the extra year after transfer. Look for Duscharme to follow.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”