Roster for next season?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Kevin Reilly

Re: Roster for next season?

Postby Kevin Reilly » Thu May 16, 2024 8:17 pm

Gym from Delhi I think you mean Mike Solner. He was from Detroit and a good handball player. He was my roommate my Sophomore year. . He limped a little from a football injury. He was homesick and left at Christmas and didn't come back.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:51 pm

I will state the obvious. the NCAA now allows student players in any sport to transfer at any time and be eligible to play for the next team immediately. Plus teams have NIL monies to use. Most great players will leave at the end of any season and move on to another team. Right now over 1000 players each year transfer to other teams in Basketball . The best or top schools will bring in the best players from the smaller schools or other conferences each year, thus they bring in mostly juniors and or seniors . Thus most teams will rely less and less on using freshmen or sophomores ,if they appear not talented enough to start. The very very best freshmen in college basketball will go immediately to the NBA draft. The best of the best college teams will always get the cream of the top players, maybe 40 teams out of the 350 college programs . Thus the rosters of the best teams will change greatly every year. Staying 3 to 4 years to play with only one college team is NOW obsolete for the best college players.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun May 19, 2024 12:25 pm

Kevin Reilly wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:17 pm
Anti-Homer I think Anderson may surprise everybody. Might be a good defensive player who brings other things to the court besides scoring. Looks like we have enough scores and could use a hard nose all around team player. I have high hopes for him.
KR,

I love your optimism, but the last two picks are major headscratchers. Fletcher does one thing well, rebounding. He is a 3/4 that shoots 38% from the field. 38%. The only wild card is that he has shown rare flashes of high productivity, and X had to hedge their bet, because Freemantle, Hunter, and Hugley are injury-prone.

Anderson is a headscratcher on steroids. He does NOTHING well statistically; NOTHING. There are also some very good players still in the portal and some who have been picked up. Nova & Louisville just picked up two really, good players. Why pick a guy who is below the Mendoza Line statistically, instead of taking a chance on a freshman or sophomore with high upside? Why blow the last scholly at all, especially at a position that is crowded to begin with? Miller is really good, but he must think the NIL is a "use it or lose it" benefit.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sun May 19, 2024 2:15 pm

A possible reason for those two is playing time. Hard to get pkayers to come NIL notwithstanding if they cannot get playing time,. And that affects those already committed too. It’s not always just about the money. Insurance!
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”