Next Year

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XU84
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:54 am
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby XU84 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:18 am

I wont disagree with that. Maybe Lyons is the guy.
XinAlbany
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby XinAlbany » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 am

I think we can be very successful next year. In the paint we will have Love, Frease, Brown, McClean, and Anderson (We should really own the boards next year). B.J. will shoot the 3 as well as Jackson, Redford, and Lyons (I don't know much about Walsh or our other transfer). Although we lost two very talented guards, I think we will be o.k. because with 3 freshman, Dante and Adrion we will have great depth. I think our biggest area for concern is at point. However, if there is one position that Sean can groom better than any other, it is the point guard. Wether it is Dante or a frosh, I think our point guard play will be good enough to get back to the big dance again next year. My sleeper for next year will definetly be Derrick Drown. He wants to play in the league so I think he will drastically improve from 3 next year as well as drunk emphatically on all in his way.
StylesfromTeenWolf
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby StylesfromTeenWolf » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:35 am

I think BJ will be a huge asset next year on and off the court. He will fill the role of Stanley and mold this team together. I think Frease will start, Brown, Cj, Raymond will be our 2 man, and Lyons. It will be a transition for Sean to switch to an inside game and build out. I think Sean will be forming a plan in the offseason for that.
vmuskie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby vmuskie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:14 pm

I can see 2 lineups

The big team

Frease
Love
Brown
Raymond
Dante

Mclain as the sub for the bigs
One of the frosh (Lyons, Redford) as the sub for the guards

The guard (slashing/shooting) team

Frease
Anderson
Brown
Lyons
Dante

Love subbing for Frease
Raymond subbing for Lyons
User avatar
Shadow
Posts: 6246
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby Shadow » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:25 pm

Don't forget who these guys have been practicing against in preparation for this past year's games, McLean, Duckett and Taylor. You only improve your own play by placing against a formidable opponent.
Sure, X has new, high caliber players coming in but these guys know the system are not chopped meat by any stretch of the imagination.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
bluegrass
Posts: 3411
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby bluegrass » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:52 pm

Point guard will be the biggest issue next year.Jackson or one of the freshman are going to need to step up.It will be a learning process for whomever it is.Don't be surprised if there are some early struggles.
Can Freeze be a "poor mans" Kevin Love? I know he's big and can hit the 3's.
birdman71
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby birdman71 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:55 pm

I expect Frease will play a lot.
I also think McLean may contribute big. His Tulsa freshman stats [06-07] were good, including a big game against Memphis [16 points, eight rebounds, four blocks]. That's good stuff!
Redford sounds like the kind of guy who, if hot, can have a Curry like effect on a game.
MuskieCinci
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby MuskieCinci » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:06 pm

I don't think even Sean knows what the starting line up for next year wll be at this point, and he probably won't until November and even go with a few different line ups throughout the year. We have the talent to be a top 25 team no doubt, but figuring out the playing time for everyone and which line ups are the most effective might take a while. With four freshmen coming in, it is highly likely that someone will get redshirted. Redford is probably the most likely candidate as the college adjustment will probably be the hardest for him coming from high school where he could beat people off the dribble to create shots or himself, but at the college level the defenders will be much quicker. For the one poster, Duckett is not a transfer, he is a walk on. I wouldn't expect much contributions from him. BJ will no doubt be the leader of the team, so he has to be in the starting line up.
Xman95
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:40 am
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby Xman95 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:25 pm

yclppr wrote:Maybe this Redford kid can develop into another Stephen Curry? That would be something, along with Frease taking care of the paint.
I won't say NEVER and I also don't want to crush the possibility, but it's highly unlikely. Curry has a little more size and seems quicker and more athletic. Other than gaining some bulk to handle some banging, there's not much lacking from Curry's offensive game...and he's only a sophomore.

Too many people are going to have the opinion about recruits (not just at X, but everywhere) and the possibility that they'll turn into the next Stephen Curry. They don't realize that Curry was a stud as a freshman last year and shouldn't have been a surprise this year. It just happens that Davidson doesn't get much pub, so he wasn't seen. But that kid could ball from the second he walked onto a college campus. And we probably haven't seen his upside yet. That won't happen until he's getting paid millions in the Association.
"I was in Dayton, Ohio recently. You know what is a fun thing to do there? Pack up and get the **** out." -- Dave Attell
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Next Year

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:23 pm

I actually see Love and Bronson splitting the minutes at center, much like Duncan and Love did for most of this year. I think Frease will be brought along slowly, unless there's a need for him to play (injury, transfer, etc.)

You'd thing Brown would have to be the PF starter, but McLean's supposed to be a horse, so the battle there should be interesting.

C.J. would be the likely starter at SF, but B.J. should get minutes there as well.

B.J. should also get minutes at SG, along with Jackson.

I just don't see Jackson as our PG unless his ballhandling markedly improves, so I'm putting my money on Lyons starting as a freshman, or soon thereafter.

Graves and Taylor will get minutes, with Walsh and Redford the wild cards.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 566 guests