Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:08 pm

REPORTS: Oklahoma State is prepared to offer Self a contract rumored to be in the neighborhood of at least $3.5 million a year. The column also mentioned there could be a $6 million signing bonus for Self to return to Oklahoma State, where he played during 1981-85.

I wonder if Memphis had been 2 for 5 instead of 1-5 from the line toward the end of the game if Self gets that kind of money?

Really, does any coach deserve that kind of money at a university?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby Wisexuowl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:15 pm

The age old question MM, is he (fill in tha name here) worth it.
Is he worth $3.5 million a year when a fat cat is will to part with 50% of it for deal old alma mater say compared to a multitude of pro athletes making three times that.
Self is going to get that, either from T. Boone, or KU fat cats, and then there is going to be an escalation, not only in the world of basketball, but football as well. Football coaches have always gotten the top dollar because, as they claim, football drives the engine.
Now on the CBS post game show they said (Sean did) that Self will use OSU as a wedge to get a long, long term deal with lotsa more money .... and then T Boone and OSU will set its sights on (this stunned me) Billy G at UK.
Keep in mind, Billy has yet to sign a contract at UK, or at least that is the latest I have heard.
If, Billy tumbles for OSU and the $$$$$, (or if Self goes for the bucks) the dominoes will fall around the country in a chase for those jobs, qnd that kind of BIG money.
Only thing for sure that if it happens is whatshisname at osu-Columbus will be sneaking his name into the mix and try to milk osu-Columbus for more bucks. That's his nature.
Could be interesting!!!!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:49 am

Wise, you clearly have an unhealthy (and irrational) obsession with Matta. I'd suggest you seek some professional help.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
RONALD78
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:34 am
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby RONALD78 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:30 am

i read that a billionaire gave Okla.St U athletic dept $190 million for their programs....do u think they can afford anyone???lol
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby Wisexuowl » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:12 pm

I checked with a Doc in Chicago, but he said he was already devoting full time with an attorney who has a unhealthy (and irrational) obsession with whatshisname.
I asked if he was making any progress, but he cited physician-patient confidentiality, but his sad downcast look and the shaking of his head let me know there was really no hope for the poor fellow.
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby Wisexuowl » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Anyway, along more important things that one's mental health, T Boone gave OSU $195 million over two years ago .. with the stipulation that all of the money was to be spent on athletics. Overall, he has given the Cowboys $300. million, and $75 million of that was for renovation of the ... guess what ...
T BOONE PICKENS Stadium.
Mike Wilborn said on PTI some time back that T Boone "now owns OSU and its athletic program, and no coach had better cross him. This is dangerous.
What else is dangerous about Pickens is he presently buying up all the water basins in Texas. Don't like $4-5. a gallon gass ... wait until you get your water bill if you live in Texas.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:25 pm

When a grown man can't refer to a former head coach by his given name (it's "Matta", by the way), and uses every opportunity to take a slam at Matta, no matter how unconnected Matta is to that particular thread, I'd say help is very much needed.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby Wisexuowl » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:45 pm

And when a grown (assuming) man
can't refer to one he disagree's with without calling him a F@@king A##hole, or "does not have a brain" or any one of another dozen terms, and cannot refrain from "slamming" or "degrading" his alma mater at every (almost) opportunity in the name of being "neutral" or dumping on a great man/coach no longer with us, then flipping when he died, and all the worshiping whatshisname, who by the way is not or never will be in Skip's class as a coach or a man, and Sean's for that matter .... I would agree, help is badly needed. Go get some before its too late Gary!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:06 pm

As to you, Wise, I fall back on the "it's not libel if it's true" defense.

As to "dumping on a great man/coach no longer with us", I don't think I've said a single word about Skip since his passing, and have repeatedly pointed out his being a credit to Xavier and college basketball in terms of his personal conduct and the integrity of his programs. Did I disagree very strongly with his X's and O's? Absolutely, but that's my opinion, with which others can differ. I guarantee that not everyone does disagree.

I don't worship Matta; never did. I did think he was the best overall coach I'd seen in my lifetime at X, and I think it's idiotic, and willfully blind, to constantly denigrate his accomplishments here and at Ohio State when the rest of the college basketball world clearly (and correctly) thinks otherwise.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Has the basketball world become WACKY?

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Wisexuowl wrote:Anyway, along more important things that one's mental health, T Boone gave OSU $195 million over two years ago .. with the stipulation that all of the money was to be spent on athletics. Overall, he has given the Cowboys $300. million, and $75 million of that was for renovation of the ... guess what ...
T BOONE PICKENS Stadium.
Mike Wilborn said on PTI some time back that T Boone "now owns OSU and its athletic program, and no coach had better cross him. This is dangerous.
What else is dangerous about Pickens is he presently buying up all the water basins in Texas. Don't like $4-5. a gallon gass ... wait until you get your water bill if you live in Texas.
I'd say X needs a billionaire. T Boone, X will name a dorm after you if you give X $3000 million. You could go to osu games when you are out west and Cintas when you are in the East. We need that single, no kids alum that prints money...maybe from the Chicago area???
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 677 guests