Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
- muskieman
- Posts: 26787
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
RJReising
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:31 am
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
Call me crazy, but wasn't his high school (Harmony High School) accused last year by a former faculty member of falsifying transcripts to get their student-athletes eligible for the NCAA. I recall something about their players taking the same class multiple times, but the school labeling them as different classes on the transcript. I hope that this doesn't turn around and bite them if the NCAA ever finds out that there was some truth to the accusations.
- Shadow
- Posts: 6246
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
Not to throw water on the fire but it makes me a tad nervous to think of the possibility of my alma mater forcing a situation to essentially breaking a promise (scholarship) to one student in order to obtain a player of better caliber. This can be done very subtly by saying to a current player "Well, you aren't going to see any playing time here but if you'd like to transfer, we will give you a glowing recommendation and our blessings."
Offhand, I can think of Wolf and Churchill being given these options, voluntary or not. There are probably others but I'm not in a researching mood.
I sure hope this is not the case. This is not professional sports where a contract can be broken or not renewed. This is college and is supposed to be a training ground for life, not the NBA.
Offhand, I can think of Wolf and Churchill being given these options, voluntary or not. There are probably others but I'm not in a researching mood.
I sure hope this is not the case. This is not professional sports where a contract can be broken or not renewed. This is college and is supposed to be a training ground for life, not the NBA.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
(1) I did a Google search using "Harmony High School" and "transcripts", and didn't come up with anything re Reising's concerns, so there may be nothing out there.
(2) I don't know if there's any evidence that X is, explicitly or implicitly, forcing either Graves or Bronson out. Both kids can see the handwriting on the wall, I'm sure, and will make what they this is the best decision as to their college careers. Once that decision is made, if it gives X the opportunity to go after another player, so be it.
I don't see anything unsavory or underhanded in this scenario, based on what we know so far.
(2) I don't know if there's any evidence that X is, explicitly or implicitly, forcing either Graves or Bronson out. Both kids can see the handwriting on the wall, I'm sure, and will make what they this is the best decision as to their college careers. Once that decision is made, if it gives X the opportunity to go after another player, so be it.
I don't see anything unsavory or underhanded in this scenario, based on what we know so far.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
xuwburg
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:43 am
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
I don't think they're being forced out (at least I hope not). It actually seems like Graves and/or Bronson have already decided to transfer and have notified the coaches, so they're able to proceed in filling the scholarships. Probably isn't public yet since they haven't decided on a school or are waiting until after the basketball banquet next week.
-
Gorilla '69
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:53 pm
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
I think schollys are on a year-by-year, renewable basis.Shadow wrote: This is not professional sports where a contract can be broken or not renewed.
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"
-
bleedXblue
- Posts: 852
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:10 am
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
I'm bordering on being flat out elated about this development.
To get a kid of this caliber this late in the year is unbelievable.
I wish any transfer from X the absolute best.
Now we have two kids that will compete for the starting spot.....
To get a kid of this caliber this late in the year is unbelievable.
I wish any transfer from X the absolute best.
Now we have two kids that will compete for the starting spot.....
-
xcellent
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
Gorilla is right, despite what most people think. There is no such thing as a four year scholarship, just one year scholarships that are renewed every year. The fact is that Graves, unless he shows significant improvement, is not going to get a lot of playing time. We really do need a true PG, so that is a great pickup.
-
xuwburg
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:43 am
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
[/quote]
I think schollys are on a year-by-year, renewable basis.[/quote]
That is true, but when I was at X ('02) I had a class taught by the golf coach who said Xavier's policy was to honor a scholarship for four years, not re-evaluate it each year as they were permitted by NCAA regulations.
Maybe the basketball team doesn't follow this policy...
I think schollys are on a year-by-year, renewable basis.[/quote]
That is true, but when I was at X ('02) I had a class taught by the golf coach who said Xavier's policy was to honor a scholarship for four years, not re-evaluate it each year as they were permitted by NCAA regulations.
Maybe the basketball team doesn't follow this policy...
- muskieman
- Posts: 26787
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Terrell Holloway committs to X: fallout from IU problems
Don't worry about this Shadow. First the coaches did not try to get Wolf to transfer in fact they tried to get him to stay...there are other things that created that transfer. Second: Odia wanted to play but his way and he too decided to leave although the team (players) didn't object to him leaving. He was one of those players that didn't fit in and didn't want to fit in.Shadow wrote:Not to throw water on the fire but it makes me a tad nervous to think of the possibility of my alma mater forcing a situation to essentially breaking a promise (scholarship) to one student in order to obtain a player of better caliber. This can be done very subtly by saying to a current player "Well, you aren't going to see any playing time here but if you'd like to transfer, we will give you a glowing recommendation and our blessings."
Offhand, I can think of Wolf and Churchill being given these options, voluntary or not. There are probably others but I'm not in a researching mood.
I sure hope this is not the case. This is not professional sports where a contract can be broken or not renewed. This is college and is supposed to be a training ground for life, not the NBA.
As for Bronson, X honored their commitment to him but he wants to play and seeing him in practice he is better off at a DII school where he can be an O man and not worry about playing D....not that DII school don't play D. As for Graves...I will not be surprised either way. He wants to play but likes X. I guess going to the banquet might be the best way to find out. Too bad I can not make it this year, first time since way way way way back that I have missed one.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 818 guests
