With the addition of Holloway and Graves staying, it seems that 2 guards could easily redshirt.
Raymond, Jackson, Graves and Holloway will not redshirt. I would think that Redford would be the most likely candidate, and then perhaps Walsh (since BJ, Dante and Graves all will play minutes at SG). Lyons would seem to get some minutes or challenge Holloway for starting PG.
I still see Raymond as a possible senior leader off the bench to balance things out, as I don't really envision Jackson as a starting PG (though he is a player that will play a ton):
PG= Holloway, Jackson, Lyons
SG= Jackson, Raymond, Graves
SF= CJ, Raymond (when we go to 3 guards)
PF= Brown, McLean, CJ (if we go small)
C= Love, Frease
I also like the idea of,at times, the old 1988 Illinois team-type line-up (Kendall Gill, Stephen Bardo, etc.)= Jackson, Graves, BJ, CJ and Brown= all athletic players between 6-4 to 6-8
Guards= who will redshirt?
-
xu9697
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:47 am
- Contact:
-
Frambo
- Posts: 273
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
I would not write Walsh (I hear he plays solid Defense) and Redford (pure scorer) off so quickly. Graves still has to prove himself in my book.
-
bleedXblue
- Posts: 852
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:10 am
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Redford is a pure shooter.......he reminds me a bit of Drew Neitzel from Mich State. Small guy at 6'0.
I'm not confident is Dante's ability to consistently make jump shots. I hope the biggest improvement we see in him next year is the ability to put the ball on the floor and use his size to get to the basket.
BJ will be at the 3. Which leaves opportunity for anyone of the incoming frosh to grab the starting PG AND SG spots.
I would be surprised to see Graves get any time at all unless theres an injury. He's had 2 years and ample opportunities and hasn't taken advantage of it.
My guess on the redshirt goes to Walsh. We need a shooter next year and I think that will come from Redford.
I'm not confident is Dante's ability to consistently make jump shots. I hope the biggest improvement we see in him next year is the ability to put the ball on the floor and use his size to get to the basket.
BJ will be at the 3. Which leaves opportunity for anyone of the incoming frosh to grab the starting PG AND SG spots.
I would be surprised to see Graves get any time at all unless theres an injury. He's had 2 years and ample opportunities and hasn't taken advantage of it.
My guess on the redshirt goes to Walsh. We need a shooter next year and I think that will come from Redford.
-
X Factor
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 am
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Why does everyone assume one or even two incoming freshmen are going to redshirt?
Folks, it's not going to happen.
Sean didn't recruit these kids to sit as freshmen.
Derrick Brown was a unique situation. He was only 17 when he got here and was a stick figure.
These kids are competitors and Sean will give them every opportunity to earn minutes.
You just don't recruit 4 or 5 kids and then expect one or two of them to redshirt.
I would be VERY surprised if someone redshirts.
Folks, it's not going to happen.
Sean didn't recruit these kids to sit as freshmen.
Derrick Brown was a unique situation. He was only 17 when he got here and was a stick figure.
These kids are competitors and Sean will give them every opportunity to earn minutes.
You just don't recruit 4 or 5 kids and then expect one or two of them to redshirt.
I would be VERY surprised if someone redshirts.
-
_LH
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
I would be very surprised if someone does not redshirt. 7 new players will equate to one or two redshirts by the start of the season. Anyone know how many players can redshirt each year?
-
xu9697
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:47 am
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
X Factor wrote:Why does everyone assume one or even two incoming freshmen are going to redshirt?
Folks, it's not going to happen.
Sean didn't recruit these kids to sit as freshmen.
Derrick Brown was a unique situation. He was only 17 when he got here and was a stick figure.
These kids are competitors and Sean will give them every opportunity to earn minutes.
You just don't recruit 4 or 5 kids and then expect one or two of them to redshirt.
I would be VERY surprised if someone redshirts.
Makes no sense to have these 4 new guards all play if 1-2 of them will play in about 1/2 the games for 5 minutes. I GUARANTEE, barring injury or Graves going (or being a waste) that ONE of the guards will redshirt.
You mention Brown...I don't think Redford and Lyons are physically imposing players= 160-165 lbs. Not that you have to be, but why not let 1-2 guys physically mature. We need about 3 guards to go with BJ, Jackson and Graves.
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Reading Dow and the comments from Lyons and Redford, me thinks neither of them were told they would be reshirted, or that re-shirting was discussed.
Anyone who shoots 37 ppg is not one I would think only in terms of being a PG, and while last year posters were calling for Dante to be redshirted (aren't we glad that didn't happen --- now he has solid experience and experience in clutch situations --- ) and frequently this season I saw him as a PG who would find a slot on the wing and drive in three's, or drive the baseline.
Bottom line, I think FWIW, we have an experienced PG and two to break in, two SG's, two C's, and five wing players.
But, I'm gonna let Sean sort it all out.
Anyone who shoots 37 ppg is not one I would think only in terms of being a PG, and while last year posters were calling for Dante to be redshirted (aren't we glad that didn't happen --- now he has solid experience and experience in clutch situations --- ) and frequently this season I saw him as a PG who would find a slot on the wing and drive in three's, or drive the baseline.
Bottom line, I think FWIW, we have an experienced PG and two to break in, two SG's, two C's, and five wing players.
But, I'm gonna let Sean sort it all out.
-
X Factor
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 am
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
It's not as easy as picking two guys and saying ok guys you're going to redshirt.
Brad Redford is one the greatest scorers in Michigan high school history and the current Mr. Basketball. Sean isn't going to redshirt him. Brad is a competitor and will get every chance to earn his minutes. The three point line is moving back next year and Brad will instantly be our best pure shooter next year, one of the best in the A10. Brad's play will ultimately decide how many minutes he gets but I wouldn't want to redshirt if I were him.
Holloway definitely isn't going to redshirt. He had 8 other schools recruiting him after he got out of his LOI from IU. He didn't pick Xavier so he could sit his freshman year.
Lyons won't redshirt either. He will definitely get some time at both point guard and shooting guard. He is crazy athletic and can score.
Walsh is a good all-around player. A lot of people have said he is the most ready of all the incoming freshman to play at the college level. He will see time at SG and maybe even SF.
Just because Sean is bringing in 4 freshmen guards doesn't mean one or two will redshirt. It's called depth.
Every kid comes in expecting to earn minutes and see time as a freshman. If the coaches feel a redshirt year would benefit a kid they will bring it up with the kid and his family, but ultimately the decision is up to the player.
It takes a unique kid and a unique situation for a kid to redshirt. Look at UNC, Kansas, UCLA, etc. I never hear of any of their freshman redshirting and they're bringing in Top 50 kids every year. Those kids want to play right away and they know there will be competition for minutes, but they have confidence in their ability to earn minutes.
All these kids Sean is bringing in have great high school resumes, and I'm sure they were told they would be given every chance to play as freshman. Just because Holloway is now a Muskie doesn't mean Redford or Walsh will now redshirt.
Did you read what Cheeks and Redford said in the papers? Sure doens't sound like they plan on redshirting to me.
Brad Redford is one the greatest scorers in Michigan high school history and the current Mr. Basketball. Sean isn't going to redshirt him. Brad is a competitor and will get every chance to earn his minutes. The three point line is moving back next year and Brad will instantly be our best pure shooter next year, one of the best in the A10. Brad's play will ultimately decide how many minutes he gets but I wouldn't want to redshirt if I were him.
Holloway definitely isn't going to redshirt. He had 8 other schools recruiting him after he got out of his LOI from IU. He didn't pick Xavier so he could sit his freshman year.
Lyons won't redshirt either. He will definitely get some time at both point guard and shooting guard. He is crazy athletic and can score.
Walsh is a good all-around player. A lot of people have said he is the most ready of all the incoming freshman to play at the college level. He will see time at SG and maybe even SF.
Just because Sean is bringing in 4 freshmen guards doesn't mean one or two will redshirt. It's called depth.
Every kid comes in expecting to earn minutes and see time as a freshman. If the coaches feel a redshirt year would benefit a kid they will bring it up with the kid and his family, but ultimately the decision is up to the player.
It takes a unique kid and a unique situation for a kid to redshirt. Look at UNC, Kansas, UCLA, etc. I never hear of any of their freshman redshirting and they're bringing in Top 50 kids every year. Those kids want to play right away and they know there will be competition for minutes, but they have confidence in their ability to earn minutes.
All these kids Sean is bringing in have great high school resumes, and I'm sure they were told they would be given every chance to play as freshman. Just because Holloway is now a Muskie doesn't mean Redford or Walsh will now redshirt.
Did you read what Cheeks and Redford said in the papers? Sure doens't sound like they plan on redshirting to me.
-
bluegrass
- Posts: 3411
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
We certainly seem to have more than enough guards .Unfortunately most lack experience.I worry that there won't be enough playing time for all of them and someone will leave.I guess this is a good problem.There's always the chance that not all of them will pan out like we think.What's the chance that all 4 of these guys graduate in 2012 from X?
-
_LH
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Practice will determine which guy redshirts and there will be one to balace out the classes.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 923 guests
