Nice game for KFrease

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Getreal
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:36 am
Contact:

Nice game for KFrease

Postby Getreal » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:30 am

Although they lost, it looks like Frease really had a nice game. 28 pts and 17 boards.



http://www.cleveland.com/sportsflash/in ... landsports
jct1941
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am
Contact:

Re: Nice game for KFrease

Postby jct1941 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:48 am

It is funny how the different papers report the game. The Cleveland paper (from the AP press) has Josh Benson (Dayton recruit) leading the South in the win. Just out of curiousity, I went to the Columbus Dispatch and their headlines reads "Greg Avery of Division 1 champion Newark scored 17 points and to lead the South to the win. Benson had 21 points. The Cleveland paper at least had one sentence stating that Kenny Frease led the North with 28 points and 17 rebounds. In the box score, Frease went 14 for 21 from the field but 0 for 3 in FT's, plus the big number of 17 rebounds. Hellman lead the South with 8 rebounds. All in all, I think Kenny Frease played VERY well, but was not even mentioned in the Columbus paper. I guess they just promote the local or surrounding players regardless of production. All I know is that I sure am glad that Kenny is coming to Xavier.
X Factor
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 am
Contact:

Re: Nice game for KFrease

Postby X Factor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 pm

I made the trip up to Columbus Sunday to watch Kenny Frease in the North-South All-Star Game.

It featured Frease, Josh Benson (Dayton) and Chris Johnson (Dayton). Frease was on the North team and Benson and Johnson were on the South team.

The South team definitely had more talent. Between Benson, Johnson, Davenport, and a few others, they were more athletic and deeper than the North squad.

I forget the final score, but the South team came away with a win by 10 or so points.

Now, about the game, Kenny Frease is a beast! I was very impressed with him today. If it weren't for him, the North team would've been completely destroyed. He was the best player on the court. It was announced after the game that Kenny scored 28 points and grabbed 17 rebounds!! He also had about 4 blocks and a couple of nice assists. His first 2 baskets came on sweet turn around jump shots from about 15-17 feet. His size allowed him to spin away from the defender and get off a nice look. He was unstoppable on the block. Numerous times he caught the ball on the block and just backed his man down (Josh Benson) and scored on him. Benson tried to flop a couple of times, but the refs didn't buy it. Kenny also had a very nice monster dunk on a fast break where he caught the ball in transition, spun, and threw it down with authority. He also caught a pass on a semi fast break that was down by his ankles, gained control and laid it in. The only negative was Kenny was 0-3 from the free throw line, but he has great form and a very nice touch from outside. I can't say enough good things about Kenny. Xavier is getting a monster in the 7'0 Frease. He is a true center and will have a huge impact for the Muskies!

I will say a few things about the UD kids. Josh Benson was named MVP for the game. He was on the winning team and he scored 21 points and had 7 rebounds. He is skinny and will need to gain some weight and strenght, but he does have A LOT of potential. He seems to have a nice touch from the outside (a few in and outs) and he is very atlhletic. He can get up and down the court really well. I don't know how much he will play next year at Dayton due to his thin frame, but he could be a really good player in a couple of years. When he was guarding Frease one on one, Kenny was too strong and big for him.

The other UD recruit was 6'5 Chris Johnson, from Drew Lavender's alma mater Columbus Brookhaven. Johnson is an athletic wing player who did his best work in transition. He showed a pretty good stroke from three in warm-ups, but his jumper wasn't working during the game. He is long and lanky. He threw down a two handed dunk on a fast break. He scored most of his 12-13 points by slashing and driving to the rim. He showed pretty good ballhandling for a 2 guard, but got stripped a couple of times when he tried to do too much on his own. He too could be pretty good in two or three years.

It was a good game and I can't say enough how impressed I was with Kenny. The kid is so BIG and he has tons of potential. His offensive game was very impressive as were the 17 rebounds. It will be sweet watching him in a Xavier uniform at the Cintas next year!!
jct1941
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am
Contact:

Re: Nice game for KFrease

Postby jct1941 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:38 pm

X - Factor - That is EXACTLY how I felt after seeing him in the Ohio-KY all star game at Thomas More. He is sooo HUGE and so physical, that it makes him almost impossible to stop. I realize this is against other high schoolars, but he is VERY impressive. He has great hands, a nice touch, and great instincts for the game. He is definetly a MAN CHILD. I can not wait for the summer league. It will be nice to see several of our recruits placed on the same team.
MADXSTER
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Nice game for KFrease

Postby MADXSTER » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Wouldn't all of the recruits be able to play together this summer if they wished since they haven't officially enrolled at Xavier? That would be awesome to watch.

The Fantastic Five.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Nice game for KFrease

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:59 pm

In the past incoming players can be on the same team. Not all are on the same team but they can and they can have two existing players so maybe we see sometime this summer the Xavier team of the future on the floor. They normally have classes so many don't get to every game but we can hope.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Nice game for KFrease

Postby wkrq59 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 am

How unusual. Classes in the summertime.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Nice game for KFrease

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:23 pm

The thing is that is it is not unusual for a Xavier player to miss a summer league game because of a class but it is rare that a UC player misses for that reason, at least when they had another coach.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 595 guests