As has been discussed before, college b-ball players are routinely listed as being taller than they really are, which is always confirmed when they go to any NBA camps and get re-measured.
Latest case in point-Michael Beasley, who was listed at 6'10" when at K. State, but measured at 6'7-1/2" when he showed up for a workout with the Bulls.
We should keep this in mind when projecting Xavier players as to what position they might fit in in the NBA. Our SF's are almost always NBA SG height; our SG's are almost always NBA PG height, etc.
What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
gym from delhi
- Posts: 733
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:42 pm
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
Sometimes they're under-reported. I was in college with Cavalier great Austin Carr, who though listed as 6'3", was closer to 6'5".
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
I'm sure you're right, gym, but my experience has been that college players are almost always listed as being taller than they really are. Given how everybody does it, which equalizes it, I don't know why schools bother. If your 6'7" guy is really 6'5", and my 6'7" guy is also really 6'5", why not just list both of them as 6'5"?
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26787
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
I do believe that West was listed taller in the NBA than he was at X. I remember because I thought, "how did he grow after graduating?"
usually the colleges report height with shoes on but NBA shows both. Beasley never looked as tall as they reported.
Chicago will still go for Rose.
usually the colleges report height with shoes on but NBA shows both. Beasley never looked as tall as they reported.
Chicago will still go for Rose.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Lead Guitar
- Posts: 622
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
One of the biggest differences was Derek Strong who was, for three years, an inch taller than Tyrone Hill while at Xavier. He got into the pros and became 6'7" and Tyrone stayed at 6'9."
Posey routinely subbed for either Allen or Pierce, so at 6'8" he is a tall SG. I think he was 6'7" at X.
Jason Love appears significantly taller than, Duncan, Brown and McClean, but is listed at only 6'9." Maybe there are lifts in some of their shoes! And, what about Duncan's hair? He can go from 6'8" to 6'11" depending on his yearly hairstyle!
Posey routinely subbed for either Allen or Pierce, so at 6'8" he is a tall SG. I think he was 6'7" at X.
Jason Love appears significantly taller than, Duncan, Brown and McClean, but is listed at only 6'9." Maybe there are lifts in some of their shoes! And, what about Duncan's hair? He can go from 6'8" to 6'11" depending on his yearly hairstyle!
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
NBA.com has DW listed as 6'9". I thought X listed him as at least 6'8", and he might have grown. People do grow in their early 20's, though you can't prove it by me.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26787
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
I always told Duncan that he should keep his Afro because he looked two inches taller during the summer. I understand that he wanted it but was told by someone to get it cut. Who that someone was I will not reveal.Lead Guitar wrote:One of the biggest differences was Derek Strong who was, for three years, an inch taller than Tyrone Hill while at Xavier. He got into the pros and became 6'7" and Tyrone stayed at 6'9."
Posey routinely subbed for either Allen or Pierce, so at 6'8" he is a tall SG. I think he was 6'7" at X.
Jason Love appears significantly taller than, Duncan, Brown and McClean, but is listed at only 6'9." Maybe there are lifts in some of their shoes! And, what about Duncan's hair? He can go from 6'8" to 6'11" depending on his yearly hairstyle!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
- olsingledigit
- Posts: 6080
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:27 am
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
This is all true about the heights but sometimes that doesn't make a difference. I was told by a Pacer EE who would have known that the Pacers passed on Derek Strong because he measured two inches shorter than listed in college (6'7" versus 6"9"). I think, in retrospect, Derek has had a good career. Typical of what the Pacers have done over the years.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
-
X Factor
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 am
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
One website had all the pre-draft camp measurements for every player. It was pretty interesting.
Duncan was measured at 6'9 with shoes, his listed height at Xavier.
Burrell was listed at 6'2 1/2, a half inch shorter than his listed height at Xavier.
Duncan was the strongest player there. He benched 185 26 times, the most of anyone.
The thing that should help Derrick Brown, whenever he decides to go pro, is his freakishly long arms. He is probably 6'7 or 6'8, but has the wingspan of a 7+ footer.
Sato also had amazingly long arms for a 6'3 guy. He had the wingspan of a 6'10 or 6'11 guy.
Duncan was measured at 6'9 with shoes, his listed height at Xavier.
Burrell was listed at 6'2 1/2, a half inch shorter than his listed height at Xavier.
Duncan was the strongest player there. He benched 185 26 times, the most of anyone.
The thing that should help Derrick Brown, whenever he decides to go pro, is his freakishly long arms. He is probably 6'7 or 6'8, but has the wingspan of a 7+ footer.
Sato also had amazingly long arms for a 6'3 guy. He had the wingspan of a 6'10 or 6'11 guy.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: What???? College players' listed heights not correct????
<<Duncan was measured at 6'9 with shoes, his listed height at Xavier. >>
With a telling point being "with shoes". That puts his actual height somewhere between 6'7-1/2" and 6'8", tops.
With a telling point being "with shoes". That puts his actual height somewhere between 6'7-1/2" and 6'8", tops.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: yellow20xd and 684 guests
