Fordham's Bryant Dunston is starting at F for the Lakers' summer league team and averaging 10ppg and 5rpg.
Right now, Dunston is the only all-A10 player on the first two teams who has a prayer of making an NBA roster.
I hate to admit this, but if the best players in our league aren't close to NBA-level talent, the league's got some issues.
Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26788
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
Then again the best college players are not always the NBA type. Bobby Knight had a lot of success with very few NBA players over his IU career. I love to see our guys get to the NBA but 60 guys are picked each year in the NBA draft and then maybe another 120 to 150 get a chance in the summer leagues and this is out a of the entire 341 D-1 schools not to mention the other D 2-3 schools that hae had people go to the NBA.
The comment "if the best players in our league aren't close to NBA-level talent, the league's got some issues" is a little strong. There are so many variables to get to the NBA including hype sometimes over talent which might dictate a player making a team for a year or two. I know that all the best talent is not in the NBA, they just say they are.
The comment "if the best players in our league aren't close to NBA-level talent, the league's got some issues" is a little strong. There are so many variables to get to the NBA including hype sometimes over talent which might dictate a player making a team for a year or two. I know that all the best talent is not in the NBA, they just say they are.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
<<There are so many variables to get to the NBA including hype sometimes over talent which might dictate a player making a team for a year or two.>>
Maybe, but when you see call-ups from the NBDL, or guys coming back from Europe trying to make an NBA team, it's usually pretty obvious that they're marginal NBA talents.
If you can't score, pass or rebound in the NBA summer leagues, chances are you can't do in the fall or winter, either.
I'd love X guys, and A10 guys, to make the show, but you see how hard it is, and how most guys just don't have it.
Sato, Chalmers, Myles, Doellman, Cage, Duncan, Burrell and Lavender were all very good players for X, but only 1 of them has played in a regular-season NBA game, and it's not because of a "midmajor" bias.
Sometimes we forget that NBA subs are often former 3rd-team All-Americans.
Maybe, but when you see call-ups from the NBDL, or guys coming back from Europe trying to make an NBA team, it's usually pretty obvious that they're marginal NBA talents.
If you can't score, pass or rebound in the NBA summer leagues, chances are you can't do in the fall or winter, either.
I'd love X guys, and A10 guys, to make the show, but you see how hard it is, and how most guys just don't have it.
Sato, Chalmers, Myles, Doellman, Cage, Duncan, Burrell and Lavender were all very good players for X, but only 1 of them has played in a regular-season NBA game, and it's not because of a "midmajor" bias.
Sometimes we forget that NBA subs are often former 3rd-team All-Americans.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26788
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
Like I said many good/great college players are not NBA type...nothing wrong with that. NBA is not the be all and end all to most of America.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
webxu
- Posts: 228
- Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
Look at Duke, one heck of a college prgram, but its best players have not panned out in the NBA for the most part.
the NBA is moving more to a street-ball type game, so they look for that type of player, Derrick Brown b/c of his sheer athletiscim will be a good NBA candidate.
Therefore I would much rather have Xavier as a perrienal top 25 program than send a guy or 2 to the NBA.
the NBA is moving more to a street-ball type game, so they look for that type of player, Derrick Brown b/c of his sheer athletiscim will be a good NBA candidate.
Therefore I would much rather have Xavier as a perrienal top 25 program than send a guy or 2 to the NBA.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
<<Therefore I would much rather have Xavier as a perrienal top 25 program than send a guy or 2 to the NBA.>>
I'd prefer both, but my bigger concern was that the top A10 players from last year aren't close to making an NBA team, and that's not a good reflection on the league.
I'd prefer both, but my bigger concern was that the top A10 players from last year aren't close to making an NBA team, and that's not a good reflection on the league.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
realxfan
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:54 pm
- Contact:
Re: Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
All the Europeans are hurting the players from the States. It's amazing Fordham seems to be doing okay at getting guys to the league with such a dismal program. Smush Parker and now maybe Dunston.
-
JKC74
- Posts: 363
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm
- Contact:
Re: Maybe Dunston wasn't so bad after all
Dunston was always a beast. He really wasn't used right at FU. He was one of hundreds of NYC Catholic League players who lived under the radar, got lost in the shuffle but still ended up with a pretty good college career and now a shot at the NBA. He is the kind of guy I hope Sean and Richardson are going after if they are recruiting the Big Apple.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 806 guests
