No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:37 am

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... y/10871330

Yes, I know it's way early, and, yes, I know it's virtually meaningless, but until the games start, this is all we've got.

2-Louisville
4-Duke
5-ND
10-Tennessee
11-Gonzaga-
14-Marquette
18-ASU
19-OSU

WF and WVU just outside his top 25.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
XUdenver
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby XUdenver » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:30 pm

This is the stuff that kills me. How can the A-10, clearly the 7th best conference in America, not get any representation in any top 25? How can its best team (year in and year out) clearly XU, not get any consideration for this list? When will people understand we are reloading, not rebuilding anymore?

I'm getting tired of this Gonzaga thing, too. They haven't exactly been worldbeaters lately. And ND #5? Please. They don't scare anyone in hoops....or football for that matter.
XUhog
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby XUhog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:37 pm

But Duke at #4 - makes that Dec 20th date more interesting!
GoZags
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby GoZags » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:36 pm

XUdenver wrote:
I'm getting tired of this Gonzaga thing, too. They haven't exactly been worldbeaters lately.,,,.
Exactly.

Only one Sweet 16 in the past three seasons? And the nerve to lose a nailbiter at Davidson in the first round of this past dance.

So what if they return 6 of their top 7 scorers. So what if they have a chance to impact their year with potential key wins as their schedule includes games with Tennessee, Memphis, Washington State, Arizona, UConn, Utah, Indiana and three games in the Orlando Old Spice tourney against likely high profile opponents (i.e. Michigan State, Maryland. Georgetown, Oklahoma State and a couple of schools already featured above on their OOC).

It's a tired act.
MuskieCinci
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby MuskieCinci » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm

This list was put together before Jordan Crawford transferred though. If he can play next year we should definitely be a top 20 team, but even if he can't he will help our other guards mature much faster because of the high level of competition in practice. Parrish is kind of an idiot anyways though so I would expect his rankings to reflect that.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby muskieman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:27 pm

So gary parrish will be wrong again.I think he gets paid to be wrong after reading some of his swill.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:37 pm

<<So what if they have a chance to impact their year with potential key wins as their schedule includes games with Tennessee, Memphis, Washington State, Arizona, UConn, Utah, Indiana and three games in the Orlando Old Spice tourney against likely high profile opponents (i.e. Michigan State, Maryland. Georgetown, Oklahoma State and a couple of schools already featured above on their OOC).>>

Or they could get their heads handed to them game after game. As I always tell guys on this board, it's best to save the woofing until AFTER the game is played---and you've won.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby muskieman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:26 pm

This is one time that i can agree with the editor..who is the person that normally gives the title line to an article. He hit it on the head with the first word.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
GoZags
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby GoZags » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:<<So what if they have a chance to impact their year with potential key wins as their schedule includes games with Tennessee, Memphis, Washington State, Arizona, UConn, Utah, Indiana and three games in the Orlando Old Spice tourney against likely high profile opponents (i.e. Michigan State, Maryland. Georgetown, Oklahoma State and a couple of schools already featured above on their OOC).>>

Or they could get their heads handed to them game after game. As I always tell guys on this board, it's best to save the woofing until AFTER the game is played---and you've won.
Huh?

Of course they could be losses, and bad losses at that. There's a reason why they play the games.

You'll have to show me where there was "woofing" in my post. The intent was to illustrate the opportunity for success given a strong OOC schedule.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: No A10 teams in Gary Parrish's preseason top 30

Postby muskieman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:53 pm

Here are a few of Gary's picks from last season.
10. Marquette: Dominic James' wise decision to return to school ensures Marquette's talented trio of guards will play together for at least another season. #21 in final poll by AP

11. Indiana: Got an e-mail from a guy named Nate the other day. He wanted to know why I hadn't written about Eric Gordon, Indiana's incoming star, lately. The answer: I'm just saving all my words for that first trip to Illinois. Boy, I can't wait. NOT even in final 25 by the end of the season

12. Villanova: Once Jay Wright finishes with USA Basketball this summer, he'll turn his full attention toward winning a Big East title, which should be possible. Final standing 24 in AP

14. Oregon: Aaron Brooks is the only important part missing from that squad that played Florida tough in the Elite Eight last March. Not in top 25 by end of season


16. Alabama: Clearly I didn't learn my lesson last season. But if Ron Steele is healthy (and he should be), I'm picking the Crimson Tide to win the SEC's Western Division. Not in top 25 by end of season

17. Washington: Everybody not named Spencer Hawes is back. That's why the Huskies will be back in the NCAA Tournament. Not in top 25 by end of season

18. Gonzaga: A core of Josh Heytvelt, Matt Bouldin and Jeremy Pargo is what Mark Few will win with for at least the next two years.NOT even in final 25 by the end of the season

20. Southern California: This was a Final Four team had Nick Young and Gabe Pruitt remained in college. Instead, Tim Floyd is left wondering how good O.J. Mayo can make his Trojans. He missed on this one too, not in top 25 but 38th
21. Southern Illinois: The Salukis are good every season, even when nobody thinks they're going to be good. So everybody else can overlook them again if they want, but count me among the converted. NOT even in final 25 by the end of the season

22. Texas A&M: Joseph Jones and DeAndre Jordan will be one of the best frontcourt duos in the country. NOT even in final 25 by the end of the season

23. Arizona: Yes, this is the seventh Pac-10 team I have listed. I guess I really like that league. NOT even in final 25 by the end of the season

26. Kansas State: I loved this team when it seemed Bob Huggins would be the coach. But his departure and news that Bill Walker hasn't rehabbed well have me taking a wait-and-see approach. Yeah he missed on this one too

Last year NO Xavier in his preseason which probably is good for X. Hey Goofy X finished 8th last season

Looking at past performance shows us this guy is getting paid by CBS for nothing. I guess he is the Katie Couric of sports.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1055 guests