For those shocked at coaching moves, voluntary and otherwise

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

For those shocked at coaching moves, voluntary and otherwise

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 pm

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... y/10592405

By my count, 43 Div. I schools (approx. 1 in 8) will have a different coach in October than they had in April. And I don't think this has been a particularly brutal offseason in this regard, either.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
CarlosTheJackal
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Contact:

Re: For those shocked at coaching moves, voluntary and otherwise

Postby CarlosTheJackal » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:18 pm

I am shocked, totally shocked.

I've said it before, Division I college basketball head coach is the most competitive and well rewarded job in the US of A, a total meritocracy if there ever was one. The CEO of most Fortune 500 companies are never as well known as Sean Miller.

It does not bother me one whit that college coaches lose their jobs for failure to do something, anything. Empoyment at will, actual real bargaining power with the employer, seller's market, and there are thousands of suckers out there who are the lawful prey, etc.

On this matter I am a total free market economist.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: For those shocked at coaching moves, voluntary and otherwise

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:40 pm

I agree with you (I think). We like to talk about coaches staying at X, what a great environment it is, etc., all of which is true, but our previous 4 coaches have left after 5-9-7-3 years, not exactly Ray Meyer-type longevity. Those days are o-v-e-r.

Schools replace coaches at the drop of a hat. Coaches leave schools at the drop of a hat. That's the way it is, and anyone expecting differently is living in a dreamworld.

Because the turnover is so high, and the demand for success so incessant, it can't come as any surprise that schools are trying every means, legal and otherwise, to make those NCAA appearances/runs that allow the coach to keep his job for another year.

When we were in school, and only 16 teams made the NCAA, most schools hoped just to make the NIT, and coaches could withstand 2-3 successive .500 seasons. Not any more.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: For those shocked at coaching moves, voluntary and otherwise

Postby muskieman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:59 pm

anyone expecting differently is living in a dreamworld.

That is what I keep telling my friends at Gonzaga and Creighton. Then of course there is Duke and Maryland, UConn and Syracuse, Mich. State and others.

all living in a dreamworld!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: For those shocked at coaching moves, voluntary and otherwise

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:38 pm

mm, obviously there's a handful of Big Six jobs that you only leave to take another, equally prestigious job, or an NBA gig. For the rest of the Div. I schools, it's "succeed and move up".

Creighton and Gonzaga are clearly more the exception than the rule, and even the Zags lost Dan Monson to Minnesota, opening up the spot for Few.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 981 guests