So the announcement that Graves is going to Bowling Green is out. Has anyone heard anything about the destination of Charles?
Good luck to Adrion and the XU connection up north.
Graves & Bronson
-
Lead Guitar
- Posts: 622
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 pm
- Contact:
-
sash19
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:57 pm
- Contact:
Re: Graves & Bronson
Charles is at Pikeville College
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Graves & Bronson
I hope both find their game and are successful at their new school. More important, I hope they finish their eduction successfully and have a happy and blessed life.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Graves & Bronson
From Toledo Blade for full story http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /808280408
BOWLING GREEN - Ties to the Cincinnati area are continuing to pay off for the Bowling Green State University men's basketball coaching staff.
Adrion Graves, a shooting guard who recently left Xavier University, has transferred to play for the Falcons, whose head coach Louis Orr and assistant George Jackson are natives of Cincinnati.
Graves' uncle is friends with Orr and Jackson, who recruited Graves when they were on staff at Seton Hall. Graves, a 2006 graduate of Hughes Center, becomes Orr's second recruit from Cincinnati, joining Aiken senior-to-be Darren Goodson.
"I was looking for more playing time," Graves said. "There really wasn't anything wrong with Xavier, I just felt like I needed to be at another school."
He admitted to being discouraged by the Musketeer coaching staff recruiting players at his position.
"I knew I was going to be able to compete against them, but I just felt like they kept bringing in people at my position," Graves said.
"That and me not playing [significant minutes] was a huge difference."
Graves also had scholarship offers from the University of Detroit and the University of Toledo. Asked to describe his game, Graves said fans can expect "a great shooter with leadership skills that can bring in some action."
BOWLING GREEN - Ties to the Cincinnati area are continuing to pay off for the Bowling Green State University men's basketball coaching staff.
Adrion Graves, a shooting guard who recently left Xavier University, has transferred to play for the Falcons, whose head coach Louis Orr and assistant George Jackson are natives of Cincinnati.
Graves' uncle is friends with Orr and Jackson, who recruited Graves when they were on staff at Seton Hall. Graves, a 2006 graduate of Hughes Center, becomes Orr's second recruit from Cincinnati, joining Aiken senior-to-be Darren Goodson.
"I was looking for more playing time," Graves said. "There really wasn't anything wrong with Xavier, I just felt like I needed to be at another school."
He admitted to being discouraged by the Musketeer coaching staff recruiting players at his position.
"I knew I was going to be able to compete against them, but I just felt like they kept bringing in people at my position," Graves said.
"That and me not playing [significant minutes] was a huge difference."
Graves also had scholarship offers from the University of Detroit and the University of Toledo. Asked to describe his game, Graves said fans can expect "a great shooter with leadership skills that can bring in some action."
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
wkrq59
- Posts: 1508
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
- Contact:
Re: Graves & Bronson
In a way, Graves reasons for leaving Xavier were to be expected. One thing about his comments that disappointed me. He complained about Sean and the staff recruiting people at his position.
Bottom line, every player in every college and univeersity in this nation and on ever pro team in damn near every sport has had people recruited and signed to play at the position he or she plays. It's called establishing competition from which the best emerge and the rest back up.
There isn't a day goes by in the business world or the classroom that the same thing doesn't happen. You grow, improve and always keep moving or you stagnate. When you stagnate, you begin to be a harbor for disease and you start to stink. So you keep working.
I don't think in his heart he can say he wasn't given a chance. He played in the first half of almost every Xavier game. If he came in, defended his position and worked through the offense, he continued to play. If, as often happened he scored a quick three and then let his man or the man he should have picked up score three easy baskets because of his defensive lapses or non-existent defense, he sat.
eventually, the opportunity to play in anything but a mop-up role disappeared.
What it boiled down to was you don't continue to let a driver who scrapes the wall, blows engines and fails to finish races continue to drive your car. The same thing has happened to other very talented players at Xavier. But when it did, they fought their way back to the front line for more significant playing time by two things, busting ass on defense and hitting the open man on offense. And never giving up easy baskets.
Bottom line, every player in every college and univeersity in this nation and on ever pro team in damn near every sport has had people recruited and signed to play at the position he or she plays. It's called establishing competition from which the best emerge and the rest back up.
There isn't a day goes by in the business world or the classroom that the same thing doesn't happen. You grow, improve and always keep moving or you stagnate. When you stagnate, you begin to be a harbor for disease and you start to stink. So you keep working.
I don't think in his heart he can say he wasn't given a chance. He played in the first half of almost every Xavier game. If he came in, defended his position and worked through the offense, he continued to play. If, as often happened he scored a quick three and then let his man or the man he should have picked up score three easy baskets because of his defensive lapses or non-existent defense, he sat.
eventually, the opportunity to play in anything but a mop-up role disappeared.
What it boiled down to was you don't continue to let a driver who scrapes the wall, blows engines and fails to finish races continue to drive your car. The same thing has happened to other very talented players at Xavier. But when it did, they fought their way back to the front line for more significant playing time by two things, busting ass on defense and hitting the open man on offense. And never giving up easy baskets.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Graves & Bronson
"Q", you could not have put it better. AG did not heed the words of coach that you play when you play defense. Coach doesn't want a player to play D sometimes, he wanted a full-time player. I am sure AG might light it up at Toledo but I will be interested to see if the opposing player becomes the team's big scorer too.
Anyway, I don't want to knock him because he did have a troubled start and many did not know that the infection he had could have cost him his life, not just his career, if it had progressed just a little more.
Anyway, I don't want to knock him because he did have a troubled start and many did not know that the infection he had could have cost him his life, not just his career, if it had progressed just a little more.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
D West
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Graves & Bronson
Top basketball programs are like the best companies in the country. GE, P & G and J & J continue to recruit the best people available and potential candidates that can take your place if you don't do the job. If you perform as expected, you will get keep your job or in this case, get more playing time.
They hire new sales people with the long term potential to run the sales department. An accountant who could potentially grow into a CFO.
Sean is recruiting the best talent that's available to him and isn't promising anyone that they are assured a position or playing time which isn't earned. AG apparently didn't understand that.
I hope he does well at BGSU.
They hire new sales people with the long term potential to run the sales department. An accountant who could potentially grow into a CFO.
Sean is recruiting the best talent that's available to him and isn't promising anyone that they are assured a position or playing time which isn't earned. AG apparently didn't understand that.
I hope he does well at BGSU.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 782 guests
