http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8743 ... ineligible
Note to moderators - go ahead and erase this post if this is old news.
I was only aware that Dow had reported that it was possible that Lyons was a partial qualifier. I had no that this was the case. Did I miss a discussion on this board?
Did I miss something re Lyons' eligibility? Old news?
-
AlabamaMuskie
- Posts: 268
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 am
- Contact:
Did I miss something re Lyons' eligibility? Old news?
The former AsuncionMuskie
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did I miss smething cncerning Lyons' Eligibility? Old News?
Well, yes, I think you did. It's semi-recent news in which Lyons ran afoul of our old nemesis--not meeting the NCAA's "core course" requirement during his HS years. So, barring a reversal, he can practice but not play this year.
LH started a thread on it, and I know it's been mentioned in other threads when discussing our PG situation.
From Dow's column on 10/14----
Mark Lyons is also a point guard, but it looks like he's going to be a partial qualifier this season, which means he won't be eligible to play, but he could get a full four years after this season (much like Lionel Chalmers, who was also a partial qualifier). Lyons apparently is a fine student in the classroom, but not all of his prep school classes qualified to meet NCAA incoming freshmen standards. In other words, it doesn't matter how good his grades were; if the classes don't count, he's not going to be eligible. Miller said he doesn't expect a change in Lyons' partial qualifier status and is preparing to go through the season without him available in games (though he can practice).
LH started a thread on it, and I know it's been mentioned in other threads when discussing our PG situation.
From Dow's column on 10/14----
Mark Lyons is also a point guard, but it looks like he's going to be a partial qualifier this season, which means he won't be eligible to play, but he could get a full four years after this season (much like Lionel Chalmers, who was also a partial qualifier). Lyons apparently is a fine student in the classroom, but not all of his prep school classes qualified to meet NCAA incoming freshmen standards. In other words, it doesn't matter how good his grades were; if the classes don't count, he's not going to be eligible. Miller said he doesn't expect a change in Lyons' partial qualifier status and is preparing to go through the season without him available in games (though he can practice).
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- Shadow
- Posts: 6246
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did I miss something re Lyons' eligibility? Old news?
This is from the NCAA site.
If you plan to enter college in 2008 or after, you will need to present 16 core courses in the following breakdown:
* 4 years of English
* 3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher)
* 2 years of natural/physical science (one must be a lab science)
* 1 year of additional English, math or science
* 2 years of social studies
* 4 years of additional core courses (from any area listed above, or from foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy)
Out of curiosity, what the heck are the high schools teaching now? I thought this was basic stuff.
On the other hand it, this was from another site.
DIVISION I Colleges (effective 8/1/96)
English - 4 years
Mathematics - 2 years ( one year being Algebra and one being Geometry)
Natural / Physical Sciences - 2 years (including 1 lab science if offered by HS)
Social Sciences - 2 years
Additional - 1 year in English, Math, Natural or Physical Sciences.
- 2 years in any of the above areas or foreign language, computer
Science, Philosophy or non-doctrinal religion.
SAT/ACT - minimum of 900 on SAT with a minimum of 2.0 GPA or
minimum of 21 on the ACT with a minimum of 2.0 GPA.DIVISION I Colleges (effective 8/1/96)
English - 4 years
Mathematics - 2 years ( one year being Algebra and one being Geometry)
Natural / Physical Sciences - 2 years (including 1 lab science if offered by HS)
Social Sciences - 2 years
Additional - 1 year in English, Math, Natural or Physical Sciences.
- 2 years in any of the above areas or foreign language, computer
Science, Philosophy or non-doctrinal religion.
SAT/ACT - minimum of 900 on SAT with a minimum of 2.0 GPA or
minimum of 21 on the ACT with a minimum of 2.0 GPA.
Who forgot to check on the new rules?
If you plan to enter college in 2008 or after, you will need to present 16 core courses in the following breakdown:
* 4 years of English
* 3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher)
* 2 years of natural/physical science (one must be a lab science)
* 1 year of additional English, math or science
* 2 years of social studies
* 4 years of additional core courses (from any area listed above, or from foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy)
Out of curiosity, what the heck are the high schools teaching now? I thought this was basic stuff.
On the other hand it, this was from another site.
DIVISION I Colleges (effective 8/1/96)
English - 4 years
Mathematics - 2 years ( one year being Algebra and one being Geometry)
Natural / Physical Sciences - 2 years (including 1 lab science if offered by HS)
Social Sciences - 2 years
Additional - 1 year in English, Math, Natural or Physical Sciences.
- 2 years in any of the above areas or foreign language, computer
Science, Philosophy or non-doctrinal religion.
SAT/ACT - minimum of 900 on SAT with a minimum of 2.0 GPA or
minimum of 21 on the ACT with a minimum of 2.0 GPA.DIVISION I Colleges (effective 8/1/96)
English - 4 years
Mathematics - 2 years ( one year being Algebra and one being Geometry)
Natural / Physical Sciences - 2 years (including 1 lab science if offered by HS)
Social Sciences - 2 years
Additional - 1 year in English, Math, Natural or Physical Sciences.
- 2 years in any of the above areas or foreign language, computer
Science, Philosophy or non-doctrinal religion.
SAT/ACT - minimum of 900 on SAT with a minimum of 2.0 GPA or
minimum of 21 on the ACT with a minimum of 2.0 GPA.
Who forgot to check on the new rules?
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
-
AlabamaMuskie
- Posts: 268
- Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 am
- Contact:
Re: Did I miss something re Lyons' eligibility? Old news?
Thanks Shadow.
This is bad "news" indeed. In one of those weird overlapping coincidences I was just telling my friend about Lyons and he asked me to look up info on him. I googled him in Google News and saw the article posted above. I was like, "what the....?"
I guess we will be fine. What about Crawford? His status is all the more important now.
Lyons' school coach and college counselor failed him to an unforgivable degree. I mean, here they have a star player who has a D1 scholarship and they can't check to see if he has fullfilled his eligibility requirements? It is more than probable that his counselor allowed him to schedule cupcake senior classes (an extra study hall here, a computer lab there, etc.).
An not that it is Xavier's, without a doubt, Xavier's responisbility to check on incoming high schoolers - but doesn't it at least serve there interests to do so?
I feel bad for this kid. Although it is not the end of the world for him - it might even be good in the long run. A year of practice for a guard is never a bad thing in itself and can even end up being good. Nevertheless, I feel bad for him.
This is bad "news" indeed. In one of those weird overlapping coincidences I was just telling my friend about Lyons and he asked me to look up info on him. I googled him in Google News and saw the article posted above. I was like, "what the....?"
I guess we will be fine. What about Crawford? His status is all the more important now.
Lyons' school coach and college counselor failed him to an unforgivable degree. I mean, here they have a star player who has a D1 scholarship and they can't check to see if he has fullfilled his eligibility requirements? It is more than probable that his counselor allowed him to schedule cupcake senior classes (an extra study hall here, a computer lab there, etc.).
An not that it is Xavier's, without a doubt, Xavier's responisbility to check on incoming high schoolers - but doesn't it at least serve there interests to do so?
I feel bad for this kid. Although it is not the end of the world for him - it might even be good in the long run. A year of practice for a guard is never a bad thing in itself and can even end up being good. Nevertheless, I feel bad for him.
The former AsuncionMuskie
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did I miss something re Lyons' eligibility? Old news?
Still nothing on Crawford, though various people had opined that we'd hear something from the NCAA around the beginning of the season, which is fast approaching.
X had this happen two years in a row, if I recall, to Chalmers and another recruit, and we were questioning whether the X compliance people (or whatever they're called) were on the job as much as they should be.
Yes, the HS counselors should know this, but I'd think that the college admissions people should REALLY know this. On the other hand, by the time it becomes an issue, the kid's done with HS and in college.
X had this happen two years in a row, if I recall, to Chalmers and another recruit, and we were questioning whether the X compliance people (or whatever they're called) were on the job as much as they should be.
Yes, the HS counselors should know this, but I'd think that the college admissions people should REALLY know this. On the other hand, by the time it becomes an issue, the kid's done with HS and in college.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Did I miss something re Lyons' eligibility? Old news?
Our compliance office in the past was some gal that went on to become the assistant AD for some school in Arizona after she served as a AD for a private school in Southwest Ohio.Mr. Neutral wrote:Still nothing on Crawford, though various people had opined that we'd hear something from the NCAA around the beginning of the season, which is fast approaching.
X had this happen two years in a row, if I recall, to Chalmers and another recruit, and we were questioning whether the X compliance people (or whatever they're called) were on the job as much as they should be.
Yes, the HS counselors should know this, but I'd think that the college admissions people should REALLY know this. On the other hand, by the time it becomes an issue, the kid's done with HS and in college.
Some of these high schools appear to sub out standard math classes for other non traditional math classes and some do it with English.
If the kid is a good student it will help him in the long run, after all wasn't there a thread on "who will red-shirt?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 812 guests
