Johnny Wolf

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
bluegrass
Posts: 3411
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
Contact:

Johnny Wolf

Postby bluegrass » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:05 pm

27 points and 5 for 8 on threes in his first game against Appalachian St
Biff Tannen
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby Biff Tannen » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:28 pm

I was waiting for someone to post that. I guess the great Johnny debate lives on!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:16 pm

Glad to see former Xavier players having success. Good for you, Johnny.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
dbrownthrowsdown
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby dbrownthrowsdown » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Looks like he's back to the real Johnny that dunked over OJ Mayo and dropped 25 a game for the Bombers.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Not great defense for the UNC Wilmington Seahawks. St Andrew their exhibition game scored 91 points and while ASU was overtime they scored 96 in regulation and 101 for the game.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Another big scoring night for JW as he scored 20 on 7-11 shooting (3-6 on 3's) in NC-W's 105-97 win over Troy. He was only his team's 3rd leading scorer as one guy had 33 and another had 21.
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... ROY@NCWILM

Either (1) he's a LOT better player than he showed at X, (2) the system at North Carolina-Wilmington is MUCH more suited for his game than that at X, or (3) the talent level just isn't the same at his new school.

It's probably a combination of the 3. I wish he had shown these offensive skills at X, but for the most part, he looked overmatched at a high-major Div. I level of play.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
CarlosTheJackal
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby CarlosTheJackal » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:35 pm

He's a perfect fit for a team that is going to score 100 and give up 95 and wear Teal unis. Yes, the team site promotes the team with the slogan "Teal Time." .

Er, that's not Xavier or Sean Miller's style. He was overmatched defending against almost any point or 2 he defended at this level. If he doesn't have to play defense, an entirely different player. Some one did his homework finding a place to play.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby muskieman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Like Carlos said, I believe Johnny is on a team that plays matador defense, and at X, that would not do. If X played that type of D against the caliber of talent X playw, we would need to score in the 140s to win. Johnny is a good shooter but unless he has changed his shot, which he was trying to do at X, he would have increasing difficulty in the A-10 and some of our non-conf. foes.

One thing about Johnny-he was a good study on his mistakes and I never saw him repeat a mistake.

Like I said, glad to see him succeed; he is a good guy.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:11 pm

JW led UNC-Wilmington with 24 points in their 32-point loss to Wake Forest (120-88) tonight.

Obviously, UNC-W is playing a run-and-gun style, but I have to admit, I'm stunned to see him scoring this much, and against an ACC team like he did tonight.

Did X's system stifle him that much? Or is he just in a situation that suits his talents much, much better than X did?
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Johnny Wolf

Postby muskieman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:54 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:JW led UNC-Wilmington with 24 points in their 32-point loss to Wake Forest (120-88) tonight.

Obviously, UNC-W is playing a run-and-gun style, but I have to admit, I'm stunned to see him scoring this much, and against an ACC team like he did tonight.

Did X's system stifle him that much? Or is he just in a situation that suits his talents much, much better than X did?
G, You have to look to last year for your answer....players with much more talent were asked to scored less points per game as team ball than JW is averaging so far. We would not have been that much better if he was playing and trying to score that many points. He would have helped but that would not be his role.

Image
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 944 guests