Don't see the "team being a work in progress" other than every team/athlete at any level is always a "work in progress" every game, every week.
And crititism of free throw shooting sure ain't there.
Here are the numbers:
All teams are a work in progress at every level from game to game, but here are the numbers.
80% at the free throw line
49% off the field.
55% frpm three point range
2-1 advantage in rebounds
8 steals.
Those are numbers I will take every game the rest of the way and take my chances.
And these numbers with 30% of the minutes being split up among the Freshmen.
Numbers Dispell Critics
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Numbers Dispell Critics
I think the Foul shooting criticism is caused by the lack of made shots from guys like CJ so far and Holloway in the first game. Last night it felt like the first half that Toledo was hitting every foul shot and X was missing theirs especially on the first of the one and ones. Actually they were making one and missing one most of the time until Brown made two at the end. CJ making 3-7, McLean 4-7 and Frease 6-9 may have caused some of that consternation. It seemed like when we needed to make a 3 point play the old fashion way we missed the foul shot.
I was also disappointed, not too much, that Toledo had more shots taken than X in the first half and that they won the second half....but the important thing was the W at the end and the gift I received from MOR from Wise, did you see me hold it up during the broadcast?
One question Wise....where is Miami on the sheet.
I was also disappointed, not too much, that Toledo had more shots taken than X in the first half and that they won the second half....but the important thing was the W at the end and the gift I received from MOR from Wise, did you see me hold it up during the broadcast?
One question Wise....where is Miami on the sheet.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
PaulHickey
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 am
- Contact:
Re: Numbers Dispell Critics
This team is definitely a work in progress. If we play like we did in the first half against Dook, we'll get smoked. No doubt, we have a lot of weapons, but I don't think anybody knows (including Sean) how they all fit together. Dante's best game. Freise froze two feet from the basket. I like what I see from Jamal.
Hopefully we'll see a more "together" effort against MO.
Phickey
Hopefully we'll see a more "together" effort against MO.
Phickey
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Numbers Dispell Critics
I like the way Sean has staged this season so far with challenges from quick teams and strong teams...Mo will be a tough matchup, they have played 8 games or scrimmages before they meet X and it appears they can put it in the basket. With Leo Lyons scoring 25 points and DeMarre Carroll 21, both forwards, in their last game. Matt Lawrence their guard added 16. Lyons appears to be their 20+ guy per game. They have five Freshmen.
Tiller, a guard, is there best D player but turns the ball overmore than anyone else. They ahve been up and down on TOs but make fewer than X so far this season....I know it is early.
Lyons is 6'9" 244 lbs. Senior is the guy to watch inside and is a good rebounder. This will be a tough test for X.
Tiller, a guard, is there best D player but turns the ball overmore than anyone else. They ahve been up and down on TOs but make fewer than X so far this season....I know it is early.
Lyons is 6'9" 244 lbs. Senior is the guy to watch inside and is a good rebounder. This will be a tough test for X.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
madness31
- Posts: 2200
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 pm
- Contact:
Re: Numbers Dispell Critics
I like our chances against any team with a forward dominant offense. Between Brown and McLean we should be able to D up against the most athletic forwards in the country. Brown was great on D against top talent last year. Add Love and Frease to the mix against more physical forwards/centers and we are fine there too.
The comment about Frease is a bit much considering Toledo doubled on our big men most of the night. He found the open man/cutter and fought hard on the boards. The fact that most of the turnovers came from experienced players is a good sign. We know they are capable of protecting the ball and the freshman are protecting the ball.
Jackson looked smooth at point - completely different from game 1. Raymond had a great game too. The big concern is breaking the press. We didn't turn it over much against the press but it was ugly. The team looked as if they memorized a text book rather than just playing. We can't sit with the ball and let the defense move into position while we try and remember what to do with the ball. They did show patience which is probably better than panic but any more patience from Halloway and he is going to get trapped in the corner.
CJ, McLean, and Frease need to spend some time at the free throw line in practice. They are all going to get to the line a lot this year so they need to become respectable. The rest of the team was great from the line.
We will see what happens against stronger competition soon. Considering we almost kept pace with what FL did against Toledo we should remain optomistic. Take away the Kent streak of 3's and we probably win by 20.
We are going to miss Burrell's lock down D but we should have great team D that limits penetration and open looks.
The comment about Frease is a bit much considering Toledo doubled on our big men most of the night. He found the open man/cutter and fought hard on the boards. The fact that most of the turnovers came from experienced players is a good sign. We know they are capable of protecting the ball and the freshman are protecting the ball.
Jackson looked smooth at point - completely different from game 1. Raymond had a great game too. The big concern is breaking the press. We didn't turn it over much against the press but it was ugly. The team looked as if they memorized a text book rather than just playing. We can't sit with the ball and let the defense move into position while we try and remember what to do with the ball. They did show patience which is probably better than panic but any more patience from Halloway and he is going to get trapped in the corner.
CJ, McLean, and Frease need to spend some time at the free throw line in practice. They are all going to get to the line a lot this year so they need to become respectable. The rest of the team was great from the line.
We will see what happens against stronger competition soon. Considering we almost kept pace with what FL did against Toledo we should remain optomistic. Take away the Kent streak of 3's and we probably win by 20.
We are going to miss Burrell's lock down D but we should have great team D that limits penetration and open looks.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Numbers Dispell Critics
Because we don't have a Burrell guy right now doesn't mean we will not by the end of the year. Like I told someone last night, would you rather have them perfect at the beginning of the year or at the end of the year?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 737 guests
