OT--Sort of

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
SC in DC

OT--Sort of

Postby SC in DC » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:15 am

OK, so when I'm not making up list of X's players, I'm cleaning out the garage. I've got boxes from my parents house that I've moved to my first house, to my second house, to my second wife's house to the current house--about 50 yrs. So I I open a box from my parents house and there is a file on my illustrious Xavier career and other X tidbits. From my acceptance letter on. Wow! So over the next few days I'll be posting some highlights. If of no interest, just don't open. But f anyone wants to take a trip down memory lane, or if a millennial, or younger, wants to see what it was like back in the day--feel free.

I'll start with a bball gem. USA Today did a feature article on Pete Gillen on 3/21, 1990, Headlined--"Gilien hasn't called for the moving van"
"Coach says he's perfectly happy at Xavier" The article goes on to say "Pete Gillen has been called naive. Foolish. Downright dumb. Providence called a couple of years ago, shopping for a coach. Lord, Pete, the Big East Conference. That team went to the Final Four a year ago. Thanks for the interest, Gillen said, but no thanks. Last year, Ohio State came calling, searching for a replacement for Gary Williams. We're talking Big Ten, Pete. The big time. At least think about it. He didn't....... (lots more).... and ends with...Fogelson's (AD at the time) primary duty might be to convince Gillen that he can continue to win Xavier, that this year's Sweet 16 appearance can be the rule rather than the exception. 'Any good coach is going to ask, Could I do it all here? Could I get to the Final Four? Could I win it all? I would like to think he's feeling a little more sure.' he say's smiling."

They say History does't repeat, but it rhymes--you think!!
muskieman

Re: OT--Sort of

Postby muskieman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:32 am

Why follow a legend when you could become a legend. Staak, Gillen, Skip, Thadd, Sean, all went off to seek their legend and had only minor or no success at a larger venue. Where are they now? Maybe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence but it might be because the water bill is much higher.
I understand Pete, the boy from the Eastern seaboard wanting to return to the East and I think it was more than the money, Staak has said it was the biggest mistake he ever made. The others???
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:25 am

muskieman wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:32 am
Why follow a legend when you could become a legend. Staak, Gillen, Skip, Thadd, Sean, all went off to seek their legend and had only minor or no success at a larger venue. Where are they now? Maybe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence but it might be because the water bill is much higher.
I understand Pete, the boy from the Eastern seaboard wanting to return to the East and I think it was more than the money, Staak has said it was the biggest mistake he ever made. The others???

Grass wasn't greener?

- Gillen: Providence E8; At X, SW 16.
-Matt: NC, two (or one) FF, multiple E8s and SW 16s at OSU: one each of E8 & SW 16 at X.
-Miller: AZ: Multiple E8s and SW16s at AZ: one E8 and two SW 16s at X.
-Skip: I think he went to the tourney 2x at X, and 3-4 times at Wake, with a SW16, and possibly an E8.

All also at least doubled their salary. I think all had good experiences and liked being at X, but other than Staak (whose record before/after I don't remember very well) I think the tradeoff for the others was well worth it, at least on paper.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:43 am

Yeah, because their destinations schools never hired them to win a Championship! I'd still say only to go a little better than X with more talent in 5 star recruits over a longer period of time.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:00 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:43 am
Yeah, because their destinations schools never hired them to win a Championship! I'd still say only to go a little better than X with more talent in 5 star recruits over a longer period of time.
The consideration was whether it was good for the coaches, not the schools. All the coaches did better then at least their previous predecessor, and most/all multiple predecessors. I can't speak of Staak, because I don't even remember the school he left for. One interesting omission is Mack. The story is still being written, but as of now, he is making SM's situation at AZ almost palatable.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:02 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:00 pm
muskieman wrote:
The consideration was whether it was good for the coaches, not the schools. All the coaches did better then at least their previous predecessor, and most/all multiple predecessors. I can't speak of Staak, because I don't even remember the school he left for. One interesting omission is Mack. The story is still being written, but as of now, he is making SM's situation at AZ almost palatable.
Also, which of the coaches you mentioned followed a legend?
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
muskieman wrote:
Staak, as I recall, went to Wake. It has been a long time and I'm unsure how long he lasted---but it wasn't long.

The original post's moral was that Steele should stay here and become a legend? I'm all for that but I think AH is correct that we need to see improvement in our BE performance and we have to get back to March Madness. The fan base is restless. The team folded at season end the last two years. We appear to have a bunch of talent. We need to channel that talent to win games. And, while we have some tough games on the schedule, there are a few too many MAC teams for my liking. There is good reason to have a couple easy games but a stronger schedule will help us prepare for the grind of the B.E. and the tough tournament games.

I am willing to throw out last year's disappointment and blame it on Covid-related disruptions. Steele is still young. He need not walk on water. But, my I think my head will explode if we have a repeat of last season. That said, I don't believe we will----I am, today, in a positive frame of mind.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:08 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
muskieman wrote:
Staak, as I recall, went to Wake. It has been a long time and I'm unsure how long he lasted---but it wasn't long.

The original post's moral was that Steele should stay here and become a legend? I'm all for that but I think AH is correct that we need to see improvement in our BE performance and we have to get back to March Madness. The fan base is restless. The team folded at season end the last two years. We appear to have a bunch of talent. We need to channel that talent to win games. And, while we have some tough games on the schedule, there are a few too many MAC teams for my liking. There is good reason to have a couple easy games but a stronger schedule will help us prepare for the grind of the B.E. and the tough tournament games.

I am willing to throw out last year's disappointment and blame it on Covid-related disruptions. Steele is still young. He need not walk on water. But, my I think my head will explode if we have a repeat of last season. That said, I don't believe we will----I am, today, in a positive frame of mind.
AJ,

Agreed on your assessment. I think Covid is a shallow excuse since it was not exclusive to X, and frankly, didn't impact many games. I do think the tsunami in 2019 off the island of Fiji was responsible for the late season implosion which has become a tradition in the Steele era however.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”