Who would make your top 20

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
gym from delhi

Re: Who would make your top 20

Postby gym from delhi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:56 pm

Gotta put Bob Quick higher; he also played in the NBA for 5-6 years when there weren't a gazillion teams.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:28 am

Gym, I said if I did the list again in a few days I’d probably move them around a little. You are right, Quick goes to 12 and everyone goes back one to his spot at 17. Thanks Also, it was 4 years in. NBA and 2 in ABA I think.
gundun

Postby gundun » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:34 pm

I don't want to delete anyone from SC's list or the two honorable mentions already named but I suggest we make the list a Top 25 and add Joe Geiger. Remember that he led the nation in FT% one year and several times he was guy called upon to make a game winning shot and always hit it.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:41 pm

It is tough not to include some of guys from the 50’s and 60’s that not only came from a different era, but different styles of basketball, especially how defenses were played. Most man-to-man D’S were just that— you’d follow your man into the second row if you had to. The zones were primarily 2-3 or 1-3-1. Not many specialty defenses. (Hank Stein, Joe Viviano, long forgotten, but remember our lone national championship other than three man polo!)

Comparing stats from two era’s is all but impossible. Steve Thomas and many others played no more than three years. Thomas was really one full year and two half years. He averaged nearly 30 a game. With no shot clock (Ed Junker, Al McQuire, Bill Muscleman and others were known as defensive coaches, but in reality, they held the ball for one or two minutes a possession and waited for a good shot. Therefore they limited a teams chances to score.) And of course the 3-pt shot. Probably give Thomas another 1000 points!

Great lists and great memories. Let’s hope we can add one or more from this year’s team.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:17 pm

I enjoyed some of those lists, but it seems many forgot about Jamie Gladden and Derek Strong. Gladden was a starter from day 1 and one of the better guards we have had.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:12 pm

Bill Kirvin, I see you have a problem with the Top 20 of Xavier greats some have posted and others have suggested as additions or substitutions. My question to you is why have you not posted your top 20? I am sure you would get a great response. Many of the posters were not even born when you and your teammates were playing. Tell them of your accomplishments and achievements.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Remember Billy Kirvin, Frank Pinchback, Ricky Jannot and others that we recruited after the national championship. As I mentioned in my other post, Stein and Viviano helped place XU on the map. Pelkington and Geiger and Thomas, I believe, got us another championship—National Catholic Championship. Don’t think they could get away with that these days. It’s like comparing Babe Ruth to Barry Bonds or Jimmy Brown to Joe Mixson. Different eras and different rules and truly different weight training.

Great memories, though.
gym from delhi

Postby gym from delhi » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Frank Pinchback, a name from when Xavier would usually declare a good player ineligible for the second semester. Thank God for Sister Rose

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”