I thought of this same instance Biff, however XU didn't kick him to the curb. They kicked him off the basketball team but they still let him keep the scholarship for the remainder of his senior year and still allowed him to graduate. I would expect that Xavier would allow Drew the same priviledge. so the question remains why Doc would think Xavier wouldn't help Drew?Biff Tannen wrote: The only thing I can think of is Finn a couple of years ago, all I know is that they never said what Finn did, I don't know what Finn did, but X did kick him to the curb and forgot about him. My assumption would be that Finn did something similar to Drew, only the police were not involved. So I guess it is a fair assumption from someone to think that X would just kick Drew to the curb.
Paul Daugherty is a Moron
-
Bmuskie
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:19 am
- Contact:
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
-
bluegrass
- Posts: 3411
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
- Contact:
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
I like PD but I guess I'm not sure what he thinks the school should do.Hold his hand in court? tell him standing drunk in the middle of an intersection drunk with pot is not very smart? Offer him emotional support? What? I really don't think Sean or anyone else closed the door in his face and said thanks for everything now we don't need you anymore.
-
XLFan
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:21 am
- Contact:
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
I don't really care for the article. Yes, Drew let off some steam and supposedly went overboard. But I don't ever recall seeing other articles saying the university should help the student/athlete pick up the pieces. Where will all those articles about UC during the Huggins era when a player was arrested yearly? Should the university have stuck by Little, Huggins, and the numerous others who were arrested? Why pick on Xavier? Xavier has a history of dealing with a students/athletes in a generally fair manner and this article is just wrong.
-
Il Saggio
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 pm
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
He may not be a moron, but he's definitely a hack writer: his writing skills are, at best, modest; and his observational ability is extremely weak. All in all, his work is facetious, uninteresting, and embarrassingly bad.
Not to mention, where does he get off, lecturing Miller, Bobinski or anyone else at Xavier about morals?
Not to mention, where does he get off, lecturing Miller, Bobinski or anyone else at Xavier about morals?
-
xcellent
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm
- Contact:
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
I guess I don't know what PD wants X to do. It's not like they don't support their athletes. And its not like Drew has been in a ton of other trouble well at X. I hope that the athletic department is doing everything they can to keep him on track. I just don't think this is that big of an offense. Does anyone know what the legal penalty is for this? I don't think it even involves jail time. PD just makes all these comments about the situation, without ever saying what should be done. Hopefully Drew finds his way, and X helps.
-
wkrq59
- Posts: 1508
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
- Contact:
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Maybe you're right Saggio. But those people throughout the nation who regard him as one of the top sports columnists and the AP people in the state who keep handing him awards must not know what they are talking about.Il Saggio wrote:He may not be a moron, but he's definitely a hack writer: his writing skills are, at best, modest; and his observational ability is extremely weak. All in all, his work is facetious, uninteresting, and embarrassingly bad.
Not to mention, where does he get off, lecturing Miller, Bobinski or anyone else at Xavier about morals?
Doc achieved exactly what he set out to achieve with that column. He got people asking "Did you seee what Daugherty said today?" No malice aforethought meant.
Oh, since I have no idea who you are and from what institution you emerged or what qualifications you have to judge Paul Daugherty's writing skills, I'll just say fagetaboutit. And thee.
-
_LH
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
I titled the thread for two reasons:
1.) PD never gives an answer to what he think XU can do or should be doing that they are not doing.
2.) The article simply did not need to be written at all. What has XU ever done to a student athlete that would warrant such a ridiculous article by PD?
1.) PD never gives an answer to what he think XU can do or should be doing that they are not doing.
2.) The article simply did not need to be written at all. What has XU ever done to a student athlete that would warrant such a ridiculous article by PD?
-
Il Saggio
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 pm
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Precisely!_LH wrote:I titled the thread for two reasons:
1.) PD never gives an answer to what he think XU can do or should be doing that they are not doing.
2.) The article simply did not need to be written at all. What has XU ever done to a student athlete that would warrant such a ridiculous article by PD?
-
finalfourorbust
- Posts: 1392
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:41 am
- Contact:
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
PD, in my opinion, is one of the best writers that this town has seen and his articles are almost never only about sports. They are usually very thought provocing and cause serious discussions just like this. I thought the points that he brought up in this article were worth discussing and I didn't see anywhere in the article where he indicated that he thought Xavier would not follow through. If Xavier Admin's read his article, and I'm sure some will, it may even generate additional thoughts on the situation on their part.
I listen to Doc's radio show and he always is willing to listen to opposing viewpoints and try to be objective without insulting the callers which is unlike what we are used to in this town with most talk show hosts. I think Doc avoids getting close to the athletes in Cincinnati from a personal standpoint and it allows him to write about them much more objectively.
I think all of Doc's writing awards speak for themself and none of them spell "hack" or "moron".
I listen to Doc's radio show and he always is willing to listen to opposing viewpoints and try to be objective without insulting the callers which is unlike what we are used to in this town with most talk show hosts. I think Doc avoids getting close to the athletes in Cincinnati from a personal standpoint and it allows him to write about them much more objectively.
I think all of Doc's writing awards speak for themself and none of them spell "hack" or "moron".
-
_LH
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
I disagree on almost everything. I think PD is a good writer but his opinions are not good and off base most of the time.
If he wanted to write a piece about university's responsibilities to their student athletes, he can do that and it would be thought provoking. He has written before that he thinks college athletes should be paid and are exploited by the schools. I am fine with him writing THAT article but that is not what he wrote.
He decided to point a finger at XU for no good reason and never stated what XU is/was doing wrong or what XU should do in his great opinion that they are not currently doing.
If he wanted to write a piece about university's responsibilities to their student athletes, he can do that and it would be thought provoking. He has written before that he thinks college athletes should be paid and are exploited by the schools. I am fine with him writing THAT article but that is not what he wrote.
He decided to point a finger at XU for no good reason and never stated what XU is/was doing wrong or what XU should do in his great opinion that they are not currently doing.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 892 guests
